Terminate program

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Terminate program

Just had a look at the terminate.exe program for stopping an application. In the documentation it has a sample script to run. When I've tried it I get an "Script error in file: terminate.txt: 1025:Expected end of statement in line 5", the line of code is
    terminateStatus = "tGV"hs.createVar terminateStatus
    I know very little about scripting, trying to pick stuff up as I go along, but I can't work out what the problem is with this line and why there is the "tGV" bit before the create, any help appreciated?

Keith

I just include "c:\Program Files\Homeseer\Terminate.exe" in the application tab of Event Properties, and then the "process name" in the parameter line beneath it and run the event. Works like a charm!

Comment

That is actually two scipt lines. Looks like the carriage return was deleted in the document edits.
      terminateStatus = "tGV"
      hs.CreateVar terminateStatus

Comment

Thanks Guys,

Got it sorted now, I wanted the script method because of the status code, but I'm not sure I need it now. But it's working so that's cool.

Keith

Comment

I have situation where I am trying to use the Terminate program and it won't find the windows title since it includes a countdown timer at the beginning of the windows title. (e.g. "2345 Webcam32").

What I would like to do is pass the parameter "Webcam32" and have it terminate the application that contains that unique string.

Any luck?

Comment

I know there are various approaches I used to identify the title text. I'll check into how I did it here and update accordingly.

Did you ever try the isVisible.exe test program?

Comment

I think that Guardian Angel can locate it in this scenario, but Terminate won't.

Thanks for having a look.

Based on your suggestion I searched for IsVisible. It looks like it looks for whether a file is visible or not. Is there some way that this would help me out in this instance?

[This message was edited by JeffCharger on Fri, 14 November 2003 at 04:14 PM.]

Comment

If I recall you indicated that the title line of a misbhaving webcam sometimes includes "not responding" or something that could be used to identify it. If it shows up with isVisible then webcam can be terminated and restarted to restore it to a good state.

Comment

I am actually trying to help a friend out with a problem he is having and I suggested that he use your Terminate program. I mentioned the Guardian Angel program hoping that it used a similar process and that it might be appropriate to incorporate into your Terminate logic.

He wants to terminate Webcam32 using Terminate, but the title line includes a countdown in the first few characters in the windows title.

Is it possible to have Terminate match a string that is found "somewhere" in the windows title? I don't know whether this opens a can of worms or not......so if it does just shout!

Thanks again

Comment

I change the location method from start of title to anywhere within title. I did not test it, but the change was pretting small. See if it does it for you. It is attached here.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Michael, thanks very much for doing this....works like a charm!

Thanks.....Jeff

[This message was edited by JeffCharger on Sun, 16 November 2003 at 08:24 AM.]

Comment

Working...
                      X