Reciever reccomendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reciever reccomendations

When my house is done, I'm upgrading the speakers and was thinking about upgrading my reciever while I'm at it. I currently have a Yamaha HTR series...kind of old but sounds really good.

I'd like to integrate more HS control instead of only IR and was looking at the plugins out there. I see Denon seems to have a lot of activity. I really like Yamahas but don't see many options for it unless I just missed it.

So what would you guys reccomend for a reciever these days for both home theatre and music. All the new ones have plenty of inputs so not worried about that. The only condition I can think of is I'd like it to have at least 125w per channel. I'm probably sticking with a 5.1 setup too by the way because of the physical setup and, honestly I'm happy with the 5.1.

TIA
    HS4Pro Win10 | Fire Tablet touchscreen client, Android Phones and Tablets | Jon00 | Smartthings | Philips Hue | Trane | Caseta | Nanoleaf | Ring | August | Evolve | Aladdin | Amazon Alexa/IFTT

im a harman kardon guy.. my avr-65 used to ROCK!!!!
    in the matrix when neo came down on the heli and let loose on the gat.. i could rattle my house... well that receiver died.. and doesnt have a rs232 or rj45 port... nor a HS plugin.. and I cant script or create plugins..

so I looked in to the receivers as you did...
    and i went with the onkyo... tx-nr708

i like it. but feel it is so overly complicated but does what I need it too... however doesnt seem to get that same neo kickin butt thumpin sound..

the plugin author did say he is going to create a HS3 plugin.. so then i will buy that plugin as I want to integrate more with sound...
    HW - i5 4570T @2.9ghz runs @11w | 8gb ram | 128gb ssd OS - Win10 x64

HS - HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435

Plugins - BLRF 2.0.94.0 | Concord 4 3.1.13.10 | HSBuddy 3.9.605.5 | HSTouch Server 3.0.0.68 | RFXCOM 30.0.0.36 | X10 3.0.0.36 | Z-Wave 3.0.1.190

Hardware - EdgePort/4 DB9 Serial | RFXCOM 433MHz USB Transceiver | Superbus 2000 for Concord 4 | TI103 X-10 Interface | WGL Designs W800 RF | Z-Net Z-Wave Interface

Comment

I have a Denon 2312 AVR that I really like. I admit that I have not connected to it with HomeSeer, but I do have the AVR Remote for my smart phone and find it very responsive to commands. I use it to switch all my video to the TV with a Harmony 900 (RF) remote. For anything that has HDMI output I have options to view/listen with Surround Sound or not. This is for when I don't want surround sound, and am OK using the TV's speakers. Basically the remote turns on the TV, then the receiver, changes the receiver's input, and then turns off the receiver as it does a pass through. For the old VCR, though, I have no options but to use the receiver as it does not have HDMI output.

I also like having 3 zones for audio.

Sorry that I cannot give you any input regarding the HomeSeer connection. I won't be trying that until I move this into the basement, which won't happen until I am done remodeling the basement. I also intend to install Orb Audio speakers down there, which supposedly have good sound at a great price.

Karl
      Karl S
      HS4Pro on Windows 10
      1070 Devices
      56 Z-Wave Nodes
      104 Events
      HSTouch Clients: 3 Android, 1 iOS
      Google Home: 3 Mini units, 1 Pair Audios, 2 Displays

Comment

I like the idea of two way comminication but maybe I'll have to think about this some more. There are a couple of recievers I really like but aren't supported. The limited control I have right now with GC IR is fine so maybe I don't need to overthing this.
        HS4Pro Win10 | Fire Tablet touchscreen client, Android Phones and Tablets | Jon00 | Smartthings | Philips Hue | Trane | Caseta | Nanoleaf | Ring | August | Evolve | Aladdin | Amazon Alexa/IFTT

Comment

I would love to see 2 way communication, but I have more than a receiver to control. I would want to control the TV, DVD, VCR, cable box, etc. I use a Squeezbox Touch instead of CDs/tapes so that is good to go (but also not currently connected with HomeSeer)

Ultimately I wold have 1 thing control all this. I am looking at HSTouch and our tablet, but that will be a lot of work. The good thing with a remote like the Harmony dedicated to the AV equipment is that it was faster to set up. the RF model made it better to use than an IR one.

We don't have a house phone, so no control for incoming calls. I could probably put an IR receiver on HomeSeer and connect an emitter from my remote's receiver to send commands that would trigger a scene. So it comes down to asking myself, "What would I have HomeSeer do in conjunction with the receiver?" Since it is not controlling the TV, etc as well, then I am introducing possible inconsistncies, which I do not like. Controlling it all the same I get a high WAF.
          Karl S
          HS4Pro on Windows 10
          1070 Devices
          56 Z-Wave Nodes
          104 Events
          HSTouch Clients: 3 Android, 1 iOS
          Google Home: 3 Mini units, 1 Pair Audios, 2 Displays

Comment

I recently got a Denon AVR-4520CI so that I can move my system to an 11.2 setup. It is an amazing receiver and I could not be more pleased with it at this point.

Comment

I have an older Denon AVR4306, it has worked beautifully for the last 6-7 years. When I go to do my new Media room though, i'm going to look at Emotiva Separates. For just south of 1000, you can get entry level high end 7.1. It doesn't have the bells and whistles of an AVR, but dollar for dollar, it's hard to touch.

Comment

Emotiva

Is there plugins for emotiva audio and other home tv and theatre gear ?

Comment

rkirstuk,
                  there is no Emotiva PI that I am aware of. I have an Emotiva XMC-1. If you have a Harmony Remote and hub you can use the Harmony Hub PI to control the Emotiva thought HS events. If you have Amazon Echo the Harmony skill to allow voice control.
                  Larry

Comment

I really like my Yamaha RX v479 there's a free homeseer plugin available somewhere on the message board and there's also a paid plug-in available. sounds is really good through Bose speakers and I just completed the setup with a 400 watt subwoofer. I'm using the free plug-in and I have complete control over every feature through the network interface.
                    https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/de...plifier-plugin

Comment

Thank you

Originally posted by lpcalcaterra View Post
                      rkirstuk,
                      there is no Emotiva PI that I am aware of. I have an Emotiva XMC-1. If you have a Harmony Remote and hub you can use the Harmony Hub PI to control the Emotiva thought HS events. If you have Amazon Echo the Harmony skill to allow voice control.
                      I guess I am stuck, no harmony remote, I am using the MC-700.

Comment

Originally posted by happnatious1 View Post
                        I really like my Yamaha RX v479 there's a free homeseer plugin available somewhere on the message board and there's also a paid plug-in available. sounds is really good through Bose speakers and I just completed the setup with a 400 watt subwoofer. I'm using the free plug-in and I have complete control over every feature through the network interface.
                        I would like that !

Comment

Working...
                        X