No announcement yet.

Which whole house audio hardware integrates best with HS3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

and then play it as an announcement through the Sonos; of course there would be a little delay in recording the audio first AND would take some futzing to make it all work... : )

I am still analogue here with the Russound system and don't need the futzing around at my age...but that is me.

That said noticed my analogue audio auto HS TTS speech sense was slow yesterday so I shut it off....don't really like a Homeseer announcement that starts in the middle of a sentence.

I am trying a new thing now on the mothership.

Rather than mixing audio from different voices just running 4 Microsoft SAPI voices (multipass multispeak speaky tongues) on the mothership. It seems to be working OK so far.

and a bit of brevity here...

Last edited by Pete; March 3, 2017, 10:42 AM.
    - Pete

Auto mator
    Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
    Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
    HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
    HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Originally posted by Tfernandezw View Post
      So I read through the entire thread. I am slightly biased but here is my opinion.

Sonos is great if you're in an older home that doesn't have wires run or if you don't want to run them. A lower cost alternative that I use in zones that weren't prewired is having Raspberry Pi's as Squeezebox clients. I have one in the attic and a couple in some bathrooms and they work GREAT!

But for sake of clarity we have two main components:

What provides the power to speakers
      What provides the signal to the amp

Like I said, Sonos is great if you have the cash to spend and don't want to run any wires. But having each room cost $500+ per zone get pricey, quick!

For power I believe the Monoprice is the best option, its highly customization, controllable and integrates 100% with Homeseer and HSTouch. You can control inputs, bass, treble, volume etc all from devices on Homeseer site. This is 100% my opinion and will battle anyone on this. If you have the cash for Russound also I agree with that.

For the signal-
      Here I am more open, If you just want ONE music source then Sonos is fine to do. Its easy to integrate into HS and less technical people can use the app easily. Controlling the volume is easy as you will have a Monoprice amp . Another option is to use a Logitech Music Server, LMS, and be able to have independent zones for only $50 a piece. What's nice about LMS is you can add an amplifier to your raspberry pi and that outputs 25w. Perfect for something like a bathroom. And once again this integrates very nicely with Homeseer.

With the Monoprice you have alot more options, and I'm sure there is a TV in one of the rooms that will have speakers. I have my system hooked up in such a way that the speakers can be used for TV, Airplay, or Squeezebox.

There are many choices, but depending on technical skill, budget and desire to set things up will determine your ultimate choice.
      I can not seem to find a plugin for the Monoprice whole house system. How do you control this system with homeseer?

Comment

Originally posted by nofreeze View Post
        I can not seem to find a plugin for the Monoprice whole house system. How do you control this system with homeseer?
        It's here:

https://forums.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=176027
        https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/de...plifier-plugin

Comment

Thanks happnatious1 !
          I have purchased the monoprice whole house and getting into the implementation. How do you control your input sources to the amp? I have hear of squeezebox and am trying to learn more about it. Ultimately I would like to be able to have Homeseer touch control volume and source for each zone. Thanks for the help

Comment

right now source 1 is my homeseer machine (linux) for TTS with kodi running on it for music. source 2 is a Bluetooth receiver for the kids to play music from their phones. Source 3 is a feed from my Yamaha home theater receiver which of course has the xbox one, the wii, and even a record player plugged into it. If I can't make sapi voices play nice with wine or something on linux I may have to use a windows machine for voices, the linux one sounds like the Swedish chef from the muppets show.

Comment

make sapi voices play nice with wine or something on linux I may have to use a windows machine for voices.

[ATTACH]60006[/ATTACH]

Way back I was able to get Microsoft SAPI to work fine in Wine. I just couldn't get speaker dot exe to work in wine after throwing in the kitchen sink. Gave up and installed an Oracle VB of Windows Server (mini) and just running SAPI on the VB with multiple speaker dot exe's running.

I am running a couple of programs in Wine. IE: Polyview by Polybytes (no longer sold and free these days) runs great in Wine. I was able to get the Leviton PC access program to work once but I could never replicate it working on other linux boxes. HSTouch for Windows works so so in Wine.
              Last edited by Pete; March 9, 2017, 01:15 PM.
              - Pete

Auto mator
              Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
              Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Awesome! Thanks for the help and feedback.

Comment

There is a speaker. Exe for Linux now, do you think the wine sappy voice could talk to the speaker client running on Linux? I've never used wine so I don't know if it runs in a sandbox or something.

Comment

I didn't know that there was a speaker client on Linux.

The speaker client still needs to connect to MS SAPI to talk and you cannot run MS SAPI in native linux but you can in Wine (PITA). The above VB is very minimal using one CPU, 1-2 Gb of memory and around 10Gb of hard drive space. You can run a VB desktop less and hidden such that you can only get to it via an RDP session or command line stuff.

Wine will run just about any windows program but you have to add in all of the bits and pieces (and sometimes the kitchen sink). The advantage though is that the application will run on your Linux desktop and not in a box running a different OS.

IE: vb, dlls, fonts et al. Many times when you run a windows program in Wine it'll error out telling you what is needed.

You can also run a Windows desktop in Wine but I never do as I just want to run the meat of the program.

Dunno what little speaker exe icons would look like floating on a Linux desktop?

I do similiar with Spud's Alexa / Kinect plugin only run them in a W7 VB or W10 VB and they talk to the mothership running in Linux.

You can create a circular loop with Kinect and Alexa talking endlessly to each other.

BTW initially created a Wine DB section just related to this endeavor...IE: Configuring SAPI and Speaker dot exe in Wine. After a time of no entries Wine moderators / myself removed all of the entries and I never did get it to work just right. The only reason for this though is that I did purchase the original Homeseer AT&T and Neospeech voice fonts from a long time ago and since have added to my collection of SAPI fonts which I still utilize today. Due to WAF there is less speech today. IE: while I do use the Amazon Alexa; it is not used as a primary mechanism for VR and automation as I still do try not to depend on the internet / cloud for any of my automation.

If you can get speaker dot exe and SAPI running in Wine for Homeseer please document it and share it as it would be very much welcome to be able to do this. IE: from the get go here never have used any speech proxies for HS (HS2 and today HS3) rather always going the direct route of using MS SAPI and HS Speaker dot exe.

I still do an hourly chime here though with house / external temperatures and use the old x10 palm pads here to turn on or off or report in TTS on the whole house audio system.
                    Last edited by Pete; March 10, 2017, 10:11 AM.
                    - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Originally posted by JohnGalt View Post
                      Can you explain how you have CasaTunes integrated with Homeseer? Is there a plugin that you have created?
                      There is now a HS3 plugin for CasaTunes:
                      https://forums.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=193973

Comment

Working...
                      X