X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do I get HSSentry working

All

I upgraded from HS2 to Pro a few months ago and I now want to try out the HSSentry utility.

I enabled it in the Setup/General section in the HS Web Interface, but even after a reboot I do not see either a new process or a new service running.

Am I missing something? Is there anything else to configure before it will work?

Thanks
    Gert

Originally posted by gcoetzee View Post
    All

I upgraded from HS2 to Pro a few months ago and I now want to try out the HSSentry utility.

I enabled it in the Setup/General section in the HS Web Interface, but even after a reboot I do not see either a new process or a new service running.

Am I missing something? Is there anything else to configure before it will work?

Thanks
    Gert
    What version of HS are you running? Once you enable it, you should see HS2Sentry.exe running in your windows Task Manager.
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Herewith my system details

HomeSeer Version: Professional Edition 2.5.0.4 (Service)
      HomeSeer: Is Registered
      HomeSeer Localization: English (United States)
      Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate - Work Station
      OS Version: 6.1.7600 Service Pack: 0.0

I have checked both the processes and services section of task manager but without hs2sentry showing up. Also checked again that it is enabled in the setup section.

Any ideas?

Comment

What happens if you try to start it manually?
        HSPro 3.0.0.458, Z-NET with Z-wave plugin 3.0.1.190, RFXCOM + 2x RFXtrx433E, HSTouch, Squeezebox plugin, iTach IP/WF2IR & GC-100-6 with UltraGCIR, BLDenon, NetcamStudio, Jon00s Webpage builder, Harmony Hub plugin, SCSIP (with FreePBX), Arduino plugin, IFTTT, Pushalot plugin, Device History plugin.
        Running on Windows 10 (64) virtualized
        on ESXi (Fujitsu Primergy TX150 S8).
        WinSeer (for Win10) - TextSeer - FitbitSeer - HSPI_MoskusSample

Are you Norwegian (or Scandinavian) and getting started with HomeSeer? Read the "HomeSeer School"!

Comment

HSSentry most likely can't start due to the lack of permissions when running as a service.

Comment

Moskus - It executes silently and then it sits as a process in task manager

Rupp - any idea how to fix this - what permissions need to be set where?

Comment

Moskus - It executes silently and then it sits as a process in task manager

Rupp - any idea how to fix this - what permissions need to be set where?
              It wouldn't do any good to fix this. HSSentry watches HomeSeer and restarts the .exe if it fails to connect. Whe running HS as a service, the service parameters control how the service reacts. Is there a reason you are running HS as a service?

Comment

Just that I perceive the service to be more reliable (starts without login) than exe. Shall I try to rather run it as an executable - is this the best recommendation for stability?

Comment

Just that I perceive the service to be more reliable (starts without login) than exe.
                  It starts without logging in, but in every other aspect it is likely to be less reliable...
                  HSPro 3.0.0.458, Z-NET with Z-wave plugin 3.0.1.190, RFXCOM + 2x RFXtrx433E, HSTouch, Squeezebox plugin, iTach IP/WF2IR & GC-100-6 with UltraGCIR, BLDenon, NetcamStudio, Jon00s Webpage builder, Harmony Hub plugin, SCSIP (with FreePBX), Arduino plugin, IFTTT, Pushalot plugin, Device History plugin.
                  Running on Windows 10 (64) virtualized
                  on ESXi (Fujitsu Primergy TX150 S8).
                  WinSeer (for Win10) - TextSeer - FitbitSeer - HSPI_MoskusSample

Are you Norwegian (or Scandinavian) and getting started with HomeSeer? Read the "HomeSeer School"!

Comment

I set up my HS machione to auto logon.. and yes you can evem do it on a Server OS like 2003 or 2008.. then I run HS as the exe version and have had no reliability issues..

if you open a command prompt and then type control userpasswords2

then you can uncheck the users must log on button and when clicking ok it will ask you to enter the credentials of the user you want logged on at startup..

running HS as the exe then you can use hssentry
                    -Christopher
                    PerfecTemp - the Most advanced HVAC system I've ever Built - and its in my House

Comment

Thanks All

I have changed it as suggested and HS2Sentry.exe does show up in task manager bow. A few more questions:
                      - Is there any documentation on the utility, for example parameters?
                      - How can I test to see if it is working?
                      - Does it just restart homeseer or does it restart the PC if there are problems?

Rupp

Maybe worthwhile to add to the documentation that it does not work when HS is running as a service.

Comment

How do you get Homeseer to start automatically in Win 7 at startup? If I put it in the startup folder it does not work because it requires administrator privilages to start.

Comment

See this.
                          http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials...artup-log.html

Comment

Originally posted by Rupp View Post
                            Is there a reason you are running HS as a service?
                            Because it's the proper way to run s non interactive piece of software? It irks me at work when we have crappy software that needs to be logged in to run, rather than run as a service.

It means that you have a user account permanently logged in on as an interactive process, which opens all sort of attack vectors.

And yes, it annoys me at home too - and HS2 is the only piece of software that I run that needs to be run like that.

G

Comment

So, to further gcoetzee's request above, is there any documentation or such on HSSentry? I've been looking and so far have found nothing. As far as I know, right now, I can.... turn it on....

Then what? There has to more to it than that, and if not, is there at least an explanation of what it does?

Many thanks!

Comment

Working...
                              X