ZMC v4 - Whole house audio for HS3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sireone View Post
    In my case, I'm just trying to do good VR in Homeseer. I have three pzm-11 placed in three rooms. Then I have ceiling speakers in each of those rooms. I know placement of mic to speakers may play a big part in getting good VR, but I'm not in a position to make any changes to that, so I gotta do the best tweaking (xap800) as possible.
    Enabling the filters on the mic and/or the mic processor might help you a lot. You can narrow the freq. band to speech with a high-low pass filter
    - Bram

Send from my Commodore VIC-20

Ashai_Rey____________________________________________________________ ________________
    HS3 Pro 3.0.0.534
    PIugins: ZMC audio | ZMC VR | ZMC IR | ZMC NDS | RFXcom | AZ scripts | Jon00 Scripts | BLBackup | FritzBox | Z-Wave | mcsMQTT | AK Ikea

Comment

Originally posted by thymer View Post
      So dumb question but each of the outputs is mono, is it possible to pair them to create stereo channels?
      You can see stereo in your audio set as 2 mono Chanels. One for each side. So by using 2 channels you have stereo. You can't however put left and right into one channel and expect that it will be stereo on the other side.
      Technically it is possible but then you need a carrier wave of 38Khz. But the channels support up to 20Khz so the carrier wave will be lost and you can't decode the signal anymore
      - Bram

Ashai_Rey____________________________________________________________ ________________
      HS3 Pro 3.0.0.534
      PIugins: ZMC audio | ZMC VR | ZMC IR | ZMC NDS | RFXcom | AZ scripts | Jon00 Scripts | BLBackup | FritzBox | Z-Wave | mcsMQTT | AK Ikea

Comment

Originally posted by AshaiRey View Post
        You can see stereo in your audio set as 2 mono Chanels. One for each side. So by using 2 channels you have stereo. You can't however put left and right into one channel and expect that it will be stereo on the other side.
        Technically it is possible but then you need a carrier wave of 38Khz. But the channels support up to 20Khz so the carrier wave will be lost and you can't decode the signal anymore
        Roger that, keep it simple at two mono vs. trying to modulate it.

thanks!
        HS3 Prod - Win10 - DSC - HVAC-GC-TBZ48 x3 - CurrentCost - BLRadar - RFXCOM/FRXTRX433 -ADIO - HSTOUCH - BLUPS - AB8SS - SONOS - Alexa - 1 wire - BlueIris -MyQ

Comment

One thing that often is misunderstood is that what the mic hears and goes to the PC afterward doesn't have to be loud as long as it is crisp and clear. So if the mic VU meter level isn't going into the yellow area then that isn't a problem as long as there is just you voice and nothing else.
          And what about gating? In your earlier blog entry, you mentioned using a custom gpio cable or some such to detect triggered room. Is it stil needed for this implementation?

With the low pzm-11 volume i could complete a few steps of win 8.1's speech training (but i didnt finish because i felt i had to speak louder for it to register)... But somehow Hs's speaker client didnt pick up my commands even though i've set it to the correct mic input.
          HW: HS3 w/ Win8.1 on ASRock C2550d4i. Digi AnywhereUSB, Hubport, Edgeport, UZB, Z-trollers, PLCBUS, SONOS, GC-100, iTach IP2SL, WF2IR, IP2IR, RFXtrx433, Harmony Hubs, Hue, Ademco Vista 128BP, NetAtmo, NetAtmo Welcome

Google Search for HomeSeer Forum

Comment

- Did you get a good connection with the XAP800?

G-WARE connects fine, so I think yes

- Correct baud rate,handshake ect. ?
            How do I setup handshake? All I see in G-Ware is flow=none or hardware
            in Termite or Eltima, I see:
            RTS/CTS
            DTR/DSR
            XON/XOFF

- Have you tried it with another terminal program such as hyperterm or telnet?
            Yes. They also failed
            Here are my settings:
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by jetkit View Post
              Yes. They also failed
              Here are my settings:
              I downloaded termite 3.2 for you to test it.
              Try these settings
              COM5 38400 bps, 8N1, RTS/CTS

#50 VER

OK> #50 VER 3.0.7
              OK>
              - Bram

HS3 Pro 3.0.0.534

Comment

Originally posted by LeoS View Post
                And what about gating? In your earlier blog entry, you mentioned using a custom gpio cable or some such to detect triggered room. Is it stil needed for this implementation?
                If you configure the unit right (the included psr file will get you in the right direction) then you have only silence on the output channel that goes to the PC mic input. Ideally all annoying audio source are substracted and gone leaving only your voice. In reality there are still some soft background noise to be heard. So even whispering the attention phrase close to the mic can trigger the VR software. Because of this you can lower the threshold on the gating.

If you want to use the gating functionality of the unit is up to you. Read more about my experiences with it here and make your own choice ( http://members.home.nl/b.vanzoelen/ZMC.htm#ZMC-P2 )

I choose to use multiple attention phrases where is say something like. 'Attention computer in the kitchen' . This solution gave me a 100% success rate. However i use my own software for that. The speaker client cant handle multiple attention phrases. If you want to do so then you have to start multiple instances of the speaker client.

Originally posted by LeoS View Post
                With the low pzm-11 volume i could complete a few steps of win 8.1's speech training (but i didnt finish because i felt i had to speak louder for it to register)... But somehow Hs's speaker client didnt pick up my commands even though i've set it to the correct mic input.
                Did you try to change the mic's position including to rotate is. Even when they are omnidirectional they have a favor for one side over the other.
                I don't know if this is relevant for you but the pzm-11 have a stange way to control the sensitivity. Look at this document Page 2, block at the lower left corner. Sensitivity was ramped up far, far to high.
                http://www.crownaudio.com/media/pdf/mics/136455.pdf

With the Samson UB1 mic i can hear a egg timer ticking behind a closed door in a cabinet at 5 meters distance. I know this because when i tuned my system i had this annoying ticking sound and i couldn't find the source...
                - Bram

HS3 Pro 3.0.0.534

Comment

If you configure the unit right (the included psr file will get you in the right direction) then you have only silence on the output channel that goes to the PC mic input. Ideally all annoying audio source are substracted and gone leaving only your voice. In reality there are still some soft background noise to be heard. So even whispering the attention phrase close to the mic can trigger the VR software. Because of this you can lower the threshold on the gating.
                  Thanks! I'll try that after I get a good level on the PZM-11 in my bedroom. I'd imagine there are plenty of constant source of tics and humms in the background (aircons, ceiling fans, and even the xap800 themselves!).

I've read your page a few times already, but now that I have more things in place; it'd be easier to put things in context and relate all those info to what's going on in my installation

I choose to use multiple attention phrases where is say something like. 'Attention computer in the kitchen' . This solution gave me a 100% success rate. However i use my own software for that. The speaker client cant handle multiple attention phrases. If you want to do so then you have to start multiple instances of the speaker client.
                  Thanks. That's a great tip.
                  If we go the way of multiple speaker client; wouldn't that need multiple mic input (soundcards) too?

Did you try to change the mic's position including to rotate is. Even when they are omnidirectional they have a favor for one side over the other.
                  I don't know if this is relevant for you but the pzm-11 have a stange way to control the sensitivity. Look at this document Page 2, block at the lower left corner. Sensitivity was ramped up far, far to high.
                  http://www.crownaudio.com/media/pdf/mics/136455.pdf
                  Awesome! I didn't know that these mics have gain setting on them. I'll try playing with that and also the orientation!

With the Samson UB1 mic i can hear a egg timer ticking behind a closed door in a cabinet at 5 meters distance. I know this because when i tuned my system i had this annoying ticking sound and i couldn't find the source...
                  lol
                  HW: HS3 w/ Win8.1 on ASRock C2550d4i. Digi AnywhereUSB, Hubport, Edgeport, UZB, Z-trollers, PLCBUS, SONOS, GC-100, iTach IP2SL, WF2IR, IP2IR, RFXtrx433, Harmony Hubs, Hue, Ademco Vista 128BP, NetAtmo, NetAtmo Welcome

Google Search for HomeSeer Forum

Comment

I downloaded termite 3.2 for you to test it.
                    Try these settings
                    COM5 38400 bps, 8N1, RTS/CTS

#50 VER

OK> #50 VER 3.0.7
                    OK>
                    You are amazing. Worked. THANK YOU!

I got version 3.0.1
                    Any reason for me to upgrade that?
                    Last edited by jetkit; August 21, 2015, 04:06 PM. Reason: missing info.

Comment

Well, almost.
                      #50 VER replies back.
                      But #50 MUTE 10 O 0 does not mute output 10.

Comment

Oh boy.
                        I misinterpreted the manual

#50 MUTE 10 O 0 sets MUTE to off, un-muting the output
                        #50 MUTE 10 O 1 sets mute to on, muting the output.

Comment

Originally posted by jetkit View Post
                          Oh boy.
                          I misinterpreted the manual

#50 MUTE 10 O 0 sets MUTE to off, un-muting the output
                          #50 MUTE 10 O 1 sets mute to on, muting the output.
                          Yeah, Those manuals are a nasty things to get a grip on..
                          Glad it work for you now.
                          - Bram

HS3 Pro 3.0.0.534

Comment

Well got both units configured with all the outputs both in the ini file and the psr files. Deleted all my old HS devices and reran the config event to find all 24 output devices in HS. Must say devices in both files are Very case sensitive as I made case sensitive typos and devices won't work.

Labeled all 8 mic inputs and the 3 line-in inputs in the psr but the ini lacks input today.

Things left to do are:
                            -set up media player
                            -config speaker client for new USB sound card.
                            -create events for each room
                            -wire in speakers and cheap amps
                            -work on hstouch screens for media control and intercom
                            -install mics and config ini.

Some of my rooms are are stereo, so I think it will take a little creativity on event setup.

Today both XAP800s got a little warm and started to lock up. Had to shut them down and reboot for them work right.

Was curious about power consumption and placed a killawatt device on the power feed. Measured around $48 a yr in electrical consumption @ .11c/kwh. With sound playing they Both consume around 45 watts or so.

I think a priority will be to upgrade the little fans inside the case and provide better cooling.

Sent from my HTC One max using Tapatalk
                            HSPro: 3.0.0.194
                            PL: Insteon PLM 3.0.5.20,Insteon Thermostat 3.0.1.1 , UltraM1G, RainRelay8, UltraECM3, UltraPioneerAVR3, BLBackup, weatherXML, Jon00 Network & PC Monitor
                            HW : Win 7 64bit, Intel i7-2600, 16 GB DDR3 Ram, 60 Plus Insteon Dual Band Devices, Rain8 Pro2, Elk M1 Gold, Brueltech GreenEye.

Comment

Also have an extra Insteon switched outlet that I plan on using to power them off during non occupancy times.

Was looking in the manual and there are serial comands u can send the unit for serial status. Was thinking of pinging the units if they continue to lock up and if they don't respond, initiate a powr cycle of the Insteon switch. Just the basic idea of watchdog services built into many plugins now.

Also have some 1 wire I may monitor but I know the best approach is a cool environment

HSPro: 3.0.0.194
                              PL: Insteon PLM 3.0.5.20,Insteon Thermostat 3.0.1.1 , UltraM1G, RainRelay8, UltraECM3, UltraPioneerAVR3, BLBackup, weatherXML, Jon00 Network & PC Monitor
                              HW : Win 7 64bit, Intel i7-2600, 16 GB DDR3 Ram, 60 Plus Insteon Dual Band Devices, Rain8 Pro2, Elk M1 Gold, Brueltech GreenEye.

Comment

Originally posted by CharlieWayne View Post
                                Well got both units configured with all the outputs both in the ini file and the psr files. Deleted all my old HS devices and reran the config event to find all 24 output devices in HS. Must say devices in both files are Very case sensitive as I made case sensitive typos and devices won't work.

Labeled all 8 mic inputs and the 3 line-in inputs in the psr but the ini lacks input today.

Things left to do are:
                                -set up media player
                                -config speaker client for new USB sound card.
                                -create events for each room
                                -wire in speakers and cheap amps
                                -work on hstouch screens for media control and intercom
                                -install mics and config ini.

Some of my rooms are are stereo, so I think it will take a little creativity on event setup.

Today both XAP800s got a little warm and started to lock up. Had to shut them down and reboot for them work right.

Was curious about power consumption and placed a killawatt device on the power feed. Measured around $48 a yr in electrical consumption @ .11c/kwh. With sound playing they Both consume around 45 watts or so.

I think a priority will be to upgrade the little fans inside the case and provide better cooling.

Thanks for this update.
                                I must say that there isn't any correlation between naming in the ini file and the psr file. HS3 is far more unforgiving when it has to deal with upper and lower case names when finding device references but naming in the psr file can't conflict with HS3 since the control is by letter and number.

About the heat problem. I have 2 units stacked on top of each other and never experienced heat problems or lockups. I did however cleaned the inside and removed dust and i replaced in one unit the fan.

btw, you can make a recurring event that request the version of the unit and check for that to see if the unit is still responsive.
                                - Bram

HS3 Pro 3.0.0.534

Comment

Working...
                                X