Which whole house audio hardware integrates best with HS3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which whole house audio hardware integrates best with HS3

I keep flip flopping all over the place. I am finishing up a new house construction and have wired for whole house audio. I am implementing hs3 and elk m1 gold so far. I need to choose the best system that will integrate nicely. I am interested in controlling everything via Web interface and have a decent sound (not audiophile level sound). Any opinions to share?

Sonos for me with the free plugin it's an easy setup and very good sound quality.
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

+1 for Sonos
      Nicolai L

Comment

Originally posted by Rizonbean View Post
        I keep flip flopping all over the place. I am finishing up a new house construction and have wired for whole house audio. I am implementing hs3 and elk m1 gold so far. I need to choose the best system that will integrate nicely. I am interested in controlling everything via Web interface and have a decent sound (not audiophile level sound). Any opinions to share?
        When you say web interface to you mean the hs3 web interface? How many zones? Are all your speaker wires home run to one location? Are the speaker wires pulled through a volume control in each zone first before going to another location?

Sounds like your house project is at the same stage as my brothers house that I'm doing the wiring in, He can't decide either. LOL
        https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/de...plifier-plugin

Comment

+1 for Sonos

tenholde
          tenholde

Comment

Not wanting to hijack the thread, but what Sonos equipment would be needed for a whole house 4 zone system with home run wiring?

Thanks,
            Barry

Comment

Originally posted by lhfarm View Post
              Not wanting to hijack the thread, but what Sonos equipment would be needed for a whole house 4 zone system with home run wiring?

Thanks,
              Barry
              4 Connect:Amp (one for each zone) or 4 Connect (no built-in amp) if you bring your own multi-zone amp to the party.

Terry

Comment

Not looking for argument to break out here but would like to know the answer to this( Sonos vs Russound) for my second home which I'll have to put whole house audio into. So the question is, Is Sonos lacking compared to Russound?

Sent from my iPhone
                Tom
                baby steps...starting again with HS3
                HS3Pro: Z-NET & 80 Z wave Devices,
                HSTouch: 4 Joggler (Android Kitkat), 2 iPhone, 3 iPads
                Whole House Audio: 5 SqueezePlay Jogglers w Bose Speakers
                In The Works: 10 Cameras Geovision, new Adecmo/Envisalink Alarm, Arduinos
                System: XP on Fanless Mini-ITX w/ SSD

Comment

100% Sonos.

I would not waste time or money wiring anything.
                  I have 5 zones; 3 with Sonos Play:1, and 2 with a Sonos Playbar, sub, and 2 Play:3.

They crank all the way up with no distortion, and the bass is outstanding.

I use the Sonos plugin for HS3 to redirect speech.

I have had no issues at all, and love the cable free setup.

Comment

I am partial to Russound since that is what I installed a couple years ago. 6 Zones including the speakers and the key pads was under 1000 bucks and a no brainer.

The house was already pre-wired though when I moved in so it made it easy, and I am one as well that if it's wireless, I don't want it.

I have considered a Sonos connect to tie into my Russound on a source, but mainly because I am curious what it has to offer that I can't already do, and if it does do it better. So I keep looking on eBay for a cheap used one.

I also use Squeezebox for streaming audio for Pandora and Spotify, as well as my local collection on my NAS. I run the server software on my HS machine and I use Raspberry Pi's for the Slim Lite Client connected to my Russound unit. I use 2 as my thought was you need one per person that lives in the house, my Wife and I, so we don't have to listen to the same thing at the same time if we don't want. You can also build one out and put it in a location that doesn't have wired speakers back to the russound unit, like the garage, and plug it into your own set of speakers. Very easily expandable.

The other thing I like about Russound and the keypads, is you can use them as an interface into HS. I can control my music from them without having to worry about pulling out a phone. I also can control the display. Also now that I have BLSpeech working OK, it is nice having the house "talk" vs coming from an HSTouch tablet.

My system is all interfaced with HSTouch and I don't get complaints from the wife, so it must be ok.

Comment

...as far as the no wireless system...if you have a good network infrastructure, you will not have issues.

I use pfSense router / firewall, Netgear POE switches, and Ubiquity AC-Pro access points.

Let me know if you want details.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMxyzptlk View Post
                        ...as far as the no wireless system...if you have a good network infrastructure, you will not have issues.

I use pfSense router / firewall, Netgear POE switches, and Ubiquity AC-Pro access points.

Let me know if you want details.
                        This is very true! Personally if I didn't already have the house wired for audio, then I probably would've done the Sonos units for easy of setup.

As a side note... if you do have the walls open... Run Cat 6 until you put a factory out of supply. You won't regret it and won't have to worry about future expansion.

Comment

Exactly! I just built my home and I put CAT6 and RG-6 in all rooms including the garage.
                          I also had CAT6 and RG-6 runs (14 total), put in the attic above every room, for when I add all my home automation goodies in the ceilings / walls.

Comment

Playing music from a single source to every zone in the house at the same time through my monoprice amp (probably true for any hard wired system such as Rusound) I am garunteed that all my music will be in phase as I walk around the house, curious if this is true when using other options such as Sonos.
                            https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/de...plifier-plugin

Comment

If you create a zone with all the speakers sure...

Comment

Working...
                              X