Which whole house audio hardware integrates best with HS3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Prewired with ceiling speakers = Russound
    Didn't wire or can't get ceiling speakers and wall control (1 gang near your light switch)? = Sonos

Comment

Originally posted by Rupp View Post
      Sonos for me with the free plugin it's an easy setup and very good sound quality.
      So what does the plugin give you that a app client doesn't? Is it integration for the Amizon Echo?
      HS3PRO 3.0.0.500 as a Fire Daemon service, Windows 2016 Server Std Intel Core i5 PC HTPC Slim SFF 4GB, 120GB SSD drive, WLG800, RFXCom, TI103,NetCam, UltraNetcam3, BLBackup, CurrentCost 3P Rain8Net, MCsSprinker, HSTouch, Ademco Security plugin/AD2USB, JowiHue, various Oregon Scientific temp/humidity sensors, Z-Net, Zsmoke, Aeron Labs micro switches, Amazon Echo Dots, WS+, WD+ ... on and on.

Comment

http://board.homeseer.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1085

Full control from HS3 / HSTouch.

Comment

I can't say enough good about Sonos. They also have desktop apps.

Like Agile Humor said, if you don't have wire and don't want to wire...
          I actually do have wire to all of my rooms, but I still prefer the Sonos.
          It's really all a personal preference.
          Make a list of pros and cons.

The Sonos take all of 5 minutes to setup. Plugin, open app, connect speaker, done.

Comment

Originally posted by langenet View Post
            So what does the plugin give you that a app client doesn't? Is it integration for the Amizon Echo?

I have all sorts of automation events using Dirk's Sonos PI, many in conjunction with other PIs

Examples:
            -Turn TV Off if Sonos comes on (and reverse) with multiple conditions. The On commands of course can be initiated through one of several manners including but not limited to: Echo control of Harmony PI of Harmony Hub; using a dedicated phone app; using a generic phone app like HS Touch/Imperihome or just using the original TV/Cable remote.

- Turn on Sonos with a favorite playing at a certain time and volume based on conditions

- Have music follow me round the house without leaving multiple speakers in play mode. This really only works so far when I am at home alone. One day we'll have more accurate personal internal location capabilities!

- Make TTS announcements via Sonos whether or not the speaker is currently playing something and resuming what it was if it was

- As above but play a door bell chime etc
            cheeryfool

Comment

However, someone did mention their standby electricity consumption is high...
              A drag around my parts as hydro seems to be going north every 4 month..
              HS3PRO 3.0.0.500 as a Fire Daemon service, Windows 2016 Server Std Intel Core i5 PC HTPC Slim SFF 4GB, 120GB SSD drive, WLG800, RFXCom, TI103,NetCam, UltraNetcam3, BLBackup, CurrentCost 3P Rain8Net, MCsSprinker, HSTouch, Ademco Security plugin/AD2USB, JowiHue, various Oregon Scientific temp/humidity sensors, Z-Net, Zsmoke, Aeron Labs micro switches, Amazon Echo Dots, WS+, WD+ ... on and on.

Comment

Originally posted by langenet View Post
                However, someone did mention their standby electricity consumption is high...
                A drag around my parts as hydro seems to be going north every 4 month..
                I think this is probably true with a lot of this type of stuff. My Russound unit in standby is using almost 40 watts!

Comment

HTD

Take a look at Home Theater Direct (htd.com)
                  Great products and great sound.
                  And there is a plug-in for HS3 in addition to iPhone/iPad app

Comment

For those who didn't won the jackpot or haven't a big wallet can use a XAP for this too.
                    True, it take some work but for about $50,- you can have audio into 12 rooms (up to 96 if stacking the units). Do you need more output power then add a LM386 amp module ($1,-) for 3W or look on eBay for more powerful ones.
                    Here's a control script that works with HS3
                    http://members.home.nl/b.vanzoelen/ZMCv4.htm
                    - Bram

Send from my Commodore VIC-20

Ashai_Rey____________________________________________________________ ________________
                    HS3 Pro 3.0.0.534
                    PIugins: ZMC audio | ZMC VR | ZMC IR | ZMC NDS | RFXcom | AZ scripts | Jon00 Scripts | BLBackup | FritzBox | Z-Wave | mcsMQTT | AK Ikea

Comment

I use sonos. Love it

Occasionally drops out but my house is a pain for wifi.

I've recently ran cat6 round the house although not finished that project yet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Just a copy and paste from here.

Both wired and wireless home audio systems have their share of benefits. You have to consider the amount of patience and time you have, if you decide to go with a conventional wired home audio system. Consider the limitations that a wireless home audio system may come with where sound quality and the lack of a power source for speakers are concerned.

Multi-room audio systems allow you to utilize multiple inputs in various rooms within a residence. The systems are scalable and most come with the option to easily expand to meet your personal preference. If considering purchasing a whole home audio system, you will have to decide whether or not you want to purchase a wired or wireless whole home audio system. You have to assess the benefits of selecting either option.

Wired Systems

The main benefit to using a wired whole home audio system is that you will be able to enjoy music from any location within your home. Because you are able to personalize the design and configuration of the audio system, you will be able to control where in the home you will be able to enjoy the system. You can also configure the system in a way that will allow you to play multiple broadcasts simultaneously. Higher performance quality is also touted as a benefit of the wired home audio system. Several things that should be considered if exploring the option of purchasing a wired home audio system.
                        • Location of audio gear
                        • How many rooms will be connected?
                        • How many speakers will be on at the same time?
                        • Separate volume controls for each room?
                        • Different music in every room?

Wireless Systems

Wireless systems work well for installations where hard wiring the system is not an option. If you are renting or are unable to run wiring in walls. The best type of wireless systems utilize a wireless network independent of your Wi-Fi network. This prevent slowing down your computer network to have wireless audio. Some of the most sophisticated wireless networks will give you control over your system through your networked smart phone or tablet.

As mentioned previously you can combine both wireless and wired systems. Aside from this you can also install a separate speaker in a wall box set up (tiny) for just Homeseer text to speech. Many long time Homeseer users have done this to get the best of both worlds. IE: here kept the old AB8SS going for this purpose (plus 12 zoned audio zones). For text to speech it really doesn't matter.

The above noted and since I have been running Homeseer (from 1998) I have not put my multimedia dependencies on Homeseer and always have kept the option of being able to manage it via Homeseer but it always could run autonomously from Homeseer. This is kind of similar but different from putting automation dependencies on the internet (or cloud).

Last edited by Pete; May 7, 2016, 06:37 AM.
                        - Pete

Auto mator
                        Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
                        Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
                        HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
                        HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

+1 for Sonos

Comment

Originally posted by waynehead99 View Post
                            I think this is probably true with a lot of this type of stuff. My Russound unit in standby is using almost 40 watts!
                            My monoprice amp shows 14 watts in standby.
                            https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/de...plifier-plugin

Comment

Originally posted by waynehead99 View Post
                              I am partial to Russound since that is what I installed a couple years ago. 6 Zones including the speakers and the key pads was under 1000 bucks and a no brainer.

The house was already pre-wired though when I moved in so it made it easy, and I am one as well that if it's wireless, I don't want it.

I have considered a Sonos connect to tie into my Russound on a source, but mainly because I am curious what it has to offer that I can't already do, and if it does do it better. So I keep looking on eBay for a cheap used one.

I also use Squeezebox for streaming audio for Pandora and Spotify, as well as my local collection on my NAS. I run the server software on my HS machine and I use Raspberry Pi's for the Slim Lite Client connected to my Russound unit. I use 2 as my thought was you need one per person that lives in the house, my Wife and I, so we don't have to listen to the same thing at the same time if we don't want. You can also build one out and put it in a location that doesn't have wired speakers back to the russound unit, like the garage, and plug it into your own set of speakers. Very easily expandable.

The other thing I like about Russound and the keypads, is you can use them as an interface into HS. I can control my music from them without having to worry about pulling out a phone. I also can control the display. Also now that I have BLSpeech working OK, it is nice having the house "talk" vs coming from an HSTouch tablet.

My system is all interfaced with HSTouch and I don't get complaints from the wife, so it must be ok.
                              waynehead99,
                              Did you purchase and install the Russound system yourself or did you have it professionally installed?

Comment

One of the main reasons I'd prefer a wired system is because I prefer wall plates to control source and volume. I'm simply not the type to carry my smart phone with me in pocket everywhere, especially when I'm home, and don't want to rely on having that with me. Also, I'd much prefer flush mounted speakers.

It's still a little ways out before I start implementing our whole home audio solution, but I've been looking at Leviton's HiFi2 system. It has dedicated ethernet port for integrating with home automation systems. I'm assuming it's designed mostly for Leviton's own home automation system (which I don't know much about), but I did find and download the the HiFi2 SDK to poke around a bit with.

It defaults to an 8 zone / 8 source board, but you get an additional 8 zone add-on for a total of 16 zones (which I'll come close to needing once we finish the basement).

Another feature I like is the optional input modules you can install in each zone which can accept a bluetooth or wired stereo input. I'd have to assume that some of the sources I'll want hooked up will be in the physical zone, and not hooked directly up to the board in basement. For example, I could see wanting my office or bedroom TV act as sources in their respective zones, or a computer.

Comment

Working...
                                X