Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dale View Post
    waynehead99,
    Did you purchase and install the Russound system yourself or did you have it professionally installed?

The house was already wired for 4 zones when we bought it, but nothing was installed.

I purchased the russound controller and keypads used on eBay and the speakers I bought from mono price.

My understanding is russound is trying to push the dealer install and making it harder to program the newer equipment. But honestly you are just using it to push audio, so the older equipment is just fine and programmable still with software. I have the CAM6.6 because I didn't care about integrated video.

Install took a weekend (really could've done it in a day but just lazy) to install the speakers, keypad and controller.

Comment

Originally posted by DevinH View Post
      One of the main reasons I'd prefer a wired system is because I prefer wall plates to control source and volume. I'm simply not the type to carry my smart phone with me in pocket everywhere, especially when I'm home, and don't want to rely on having that with me. Also, I'd much prefer flush mounted speakers.
      You can control your flush mounted speakers just fine with Sonos using a Sonos bridge as well as the Sonos line of speakers. If you do not (want to) carry your phone to control your music you can use touch screens running HSTouch in place of the "single function" wall plates to control source and volume. The touch screens can then not only control your music but your entire home automation.
      💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

I have touch panels for hstouch in each room as well that have other info, but their main purpose is to control music for the wife.

I have a plan to replace my russound keypads with a Pi and 7 inch touch screen.

Comment

I'm a fairly recent Sonos adopter but a big fan. Whilst they are wireless and you get the usual concerns over quality/latency it is clear a lot of time and money has gone into the development of the protocol and hardware. I would be amazed if you could actually hear any noticeable difference in the quality between a wired speaker and them.

Although I have never used a Russound or any other wired system are you not going to have an issue with ulitimately where the music comes from to start with? I was under the impression these were amps/switching units and you still needed a start source. You would still have to look at using Windows Media Player/iTunes/something else wouldn't you? With Sonos all the music and all the control is dealt with in one go.

Comment

All the Sonos speakers have volume and play / pause buttons on them.
            So you don't have to pull your phone, out.
            It is no more difficult than if you have to get up and change the volume on your wired knob.

Comment

Whole house audio setup

Hi,

So I looked at several options Russound, Mono price amplifier with multiple zones, etc.

My house had prewired wall speakers indoors and I added outdoor speakers.

Most of the multiroom amps are more than $1,000....

So, I have the following:
              1 Sonos system (connect), I don't plan on playing different sources across my house. I control the songs and Main volume from the sonos app. very reliable and never fails.

then for every zone I wanted I use a "regular" amplifier which I control using the Global itach (simulating the Infrared remote control).

By using different amplifiers I get the following:

If one amplifier fails I can easily replace it instead of having one point of failure.

I can control the volume of each amplifier with the HS3touch and from the amplifier control tha MAX watts that is sent to each zone.
              I do this at the amplifier level since its very easy to slide to MAX volume in any mobile application which will bust the smaller speakers in my house.

another example for having separate amps is for the outdoor rock speakers I needed more watts and have a dedicated amplifier for them.

FYI...you can buy very good amps for $150 making it flexible and a little less expensive.

Just my 2 cents..

Chris

Comment

I have Sonos and Defination Technology wireless and Russound wired. While the DT sound much better than the Sonos, neither one beats the functionality I can use/do with my Russound system and HS3. I also have Plex meda server and I can do custom playlists and route them to Russound and control it with HS.

Next on my list is to trigger a playlist with Echo to play on Russound in party mode.

The best thing about Russound is the ability to run multiple sources at the same time in different rooms. This is what you pay for with a whole home audio system. I have 9 zones and I can listen to plex or XM while the kids listen to something different in a different room. This can only be done with wireless if you take the speaker with you and have multiple speakers and accounts.
                HS3Pro & HS4Pro on Win2012R2
                Aeotec, Cooper, Cree, GE/Jasco, Intermatic, LIFX, Fortrezz, OSRAM, RCS, Trane, Zooz
                BLBackup, BLGData, BLRussound, BLSpeech, HSTouch, InvisaLink, HSBuddy, IFTTT, JowiHue, NetCAM, PHLocation, Pushover 3P, Random, rnbWeather, UltraLighting3, weatherXML, ZigBee, Z-Wave

Comment

+1 for Sonos

Also, if anyone (including the OP) is interested, I have 2 Russound CAV6.6's (lost the RS232 cables though) that I haven't used since around 2013 before I moved to Sonos.

Comment

Originally posted by Jobee View Post

Next on my list is to trigger a playlist with Echo to play on Russound in party mode.
                    I have a virtual device "dinner piano" that I tell Alexa to turn on and it triggers an event that sets the zone and starts the playlist. I have a wired 4 zone system using standard Sony receivers and iTech IR that I have using for years. Use HS3 and BLMediaPlayer for main source. Mix of ceiling/free standing speakers.

Trying to figure a more natural way to control the system and music via the Echo. But the device/event works for now.

Barry

Comment

I have a Russound system with Casatune software.

It work well with homeseer.

Take a look at Casatune Web site and you will be happy what they offer.

Comment

Originally posted by BIGMACK48 View Post

If I remember correctly, they don't offer just the software anymore. You have to get one of their internet streamers which I think is expensive.

I tried their software a couple years ago before home seer and I did like it, but they stopped supporting it unless it was on their hardware and the guy when I called was really rude about the whole thing.

Comment

Although it is not intended as a "whole house" audio system, I am using the Amazon Echo Dot as my audio source for my whole house system. I have it connected to my main stereo whole house system. I use Spotify and Amazon Prime music to play music throughout the house or to any of my 4 zones. This approach is working well and is extremely flexible. The sound quality is very good. I can control it from anywhere in my home via my smart phone. I can also speak commands to Alexa to play my playlists or any song.

I also have an Amazon Echo in the kitchen which we use occasionally for background music during food preparation. It is prefect for the kitchen because you never have to touch it. I like to listen to NPR news while fixing breakfast.

I am considering an additional Echo or Echo Dot for my workshop and/or home theater room (it's really just my TV room, but home theater sounds a lot better. I do have killer surround sound!). I will use it for voice control of my components.

Oh, I also have the remote for the Amazon Echo. I use it in the bedroom to control the echo dot playing bedtime music. It is perfect. It sits on the nightstand next to the bed. It is super simple to control volume, start or stop music, skip to the next song, or say "Alexa, set an alarm for 6:30am".

I think people enjoy music many different ways. Sometimes it is nice to have background dinner/work/study/exercise music. For these situations high fidelity is really not required. The Amazon echo is a good way to achieve this. On the other hand, when you want to just listen to the music, you probably want to be sitting in a comfortable chair listening to surround sound or wearing headphones.

The great thing about HS3 is that it can help do it all!

Steve Q

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
                          HomeSeer Version: HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.368, Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 - Home, Number of Devices: 373, Number of Events: 666, Enabled Plug-Ins
                          2.0.83.0: BLRF, 2.0.10.0: BLUSBUIRT, 3.0.0.75: HSTouch Server, 3.0.0.58: mcsXap, 3.0.0.11: NetCAM, 3.0.0.36: X10, 3.0.1.25: Z-Wave,Alexa,HomeKit

Comment

Originally posted by BIGMACK48 View Post

Can you explain how you have CasaTunes integrated with Homeseer? Is there a plugin that you have created?

Comment

So I read through the entire thread. I am slightly biased but here is my opinion.

Sonos is great if you're in an older home that doesn't have wires run or if you don't want to run them. A lower cost alternative that I use in zones that weren't prewired is having Raspberry Pi's as Squeezebox clients. I have one in the attic and a couple in some bathrooms and they work GREAT!

But for sake of clarity we have two main components:

What provides the power to speakers
                              What provides the signal to the amp

Like I said, Sonos is great if you have the cash to spend and don't want to run any wires. But having each room cost $500+ per zone get pricey, quick!

For power I believe the Monoprice is the best option, its highly customization, controllable and integrates 100% with Homeseer and HSTouch. You can control inputs, bass, treble, volume etc all from devices on Homeseer site. This is 100% my opinion and will battle anyone on this. If you have the cash for Russound also I agree with that.

For the signal-
                              Here I am more open, If you just want ONE music source then Sonos is fine to do. Its easy to integrate into HS and less technical people can use the app easily. Controlling the volume is easy as you will have a Monoprice amp . Another option is to use a Logitech Music Server, LMS, and be able to have independent zones for only $50 a piece. What's nice about LMS is you can add an amplifier to your raspberry pi and that outputs 25w. Perfect for something like a bathroom. And once again this integrates very nicely with Homeseer.

With the Monoprice you have alot more options, and I'm sure there is a TV in one of the rooms that will have speakers. I have my system hooked up in such a way that the speakers can be used for TV, Airplay, or Squeezebox.

There are many choices, but depending on technical skill, budget and desire to set things up will determine your ultimate choice.

Comment

Originally posted by Tfernandezw View Post
                                Like I said, Sonos is great if you have the cash to spend and don't want to run any wires. But having each room cost $500+ per zone get pricey, quick!

For the signal-
                                Here I am more open, If you just want ONE music source then Sonos is fine to do. Its easy to integrate into HS and less technical people can use the app easily.
                                Just a couple of comments about Sonos. While Sonos is not cheap, you can get by with less than $500+ per room: http://www.sonos.com/en-us/shop

Sonos supports MANY music sources, not just ONE.

Not trying to sell Sonos here, but I am a very happy user and just want to make sure people have what they need to make an accurate comparison

tenholde
                                tenholde

Comment

Working...
                                X