Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Changing controller, do I need to dis-associate devices before assocating?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Changing controller, do I need to dis-associate devices before assocating?

I'm changing my Aeon Labs S2 USB stick for the Gen 5 version. Can I just remove my old S2 stick and manually re-assocate devices with the new gen 5 stick or do I need to dis-associate all the devices from the S2 stick first? Thanks

You either need to "dissociate" using the old controller or use the new one and do a delete/dissociate prior to adding it to the new controller.
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Comment

I added the new stick as secondary and promoted it to primary. Worked fine. But the new stick has a high ID and I had to change association to Homeseer on a lot of devices.

Regards
        Morten

Comment

Thanks matt, but could you explain me a bit more in detail what you mean by :

"But the new stick has a high ID and I had to change association to Homeseer on a lot of devices"

I'm trying to see how painfull it will be if i switch to the zwave plus controller, since i have around 20 and some are not very accessible... so if i coud avoid associating all of them indiviudally this would be great news for me !

Many thanks
          Phil

Comment

I think that question was for me? :-)

It's in Homeseer you have to setup association to the new stick on the devices that need association to homeseer. It's only sleeping devices that might need you to handle them. (To wake them up.)

You can check your association now. If a device is associated to Homeseer you need to change it to the new stick when it becomes your Homeseer stick.

I read somewhere that a high ID number on the primary controller could result in problems. My primary has had a high ID for 5 years or so. I newer experienced any problems.

I have changed primary sticks around 5 times the last 7 years this way.

Regards
            Morten

Comment

Oups, sorry yes it was for you !!

Thanks for your guidance on this, i'm going to buy the new gen 5 stick now ....

Thanks again,
              phil

Comment

Hello again !

I should my start a new thread, but let's try here first :

i have bought myself the aeon z-stick gen 5 now and have added it to homeseer,

see below....

how do i actulayy do the folloying :"I added the new stick as secondary and promoted it to primary. Worked fine. But the new stick has a high ID and I had to change association to Homeseer on a lot of devices.
                "

to get my 15 nodes to my new controller ??

Many many thanks for any support
                Phil

Comment

Hi.

You find an laptop and use the old HS Z-Tool or the free (old) Danfoss program. http://up-it.dk/dl/jxh/ for the new stick.

You add it to the old sticks net. Transfer primary to the new stick.

Change HS to the new stick.

Now if you have any devices with direct association with Homeseer you have to go to those devices and change the association to the new stick.

Regards
                  Morten
                  Last edited by mhn; January 8, 2016, 02:30 PM. Reason: Changed URL

Comment

I actually think all my devices are direct in homeseer, since i have included all the nodes through homeseer (maybe what i'm saying is completely stupid)

i'll see first with the tool you mentioned why this gives me.

many thanks for you guidance
                    phil

Comment

Hello Again,

i'm actually struggling to progress on this and don't want to loose all my config that i have done with my old stick.

I have my 2 sticks on usb on my computer, see attached.

I wanted to use the action in the zwave controller menu "send network inforation to another controller and make it primary" in the menu of the zstick controller, but it is asking me to :
                      "Activate the "Receive" function on the other controller while it is close to your HomeSeer interface..."

and i don't know how to do this on the stick g5, there is an action the menu, but i guess i can't get it to run since there is an action runnung on the other controller.

Any help would be really really appreciated :-)

many many thanks
                      Attached Files

Comment

What make / model is your Gen5 stick?

If it's one that supports the restore feature in HS3 like the .me UZB1, then you could just backup the old Z-Stick and restore it to the new one.

In the past to achieve the transfer that you mention, I had to run another copy of HS3/Z-Wave plug-in on a laptop.

Paul..

Comment

Hello Paul, thanks for your answer,

my gen 5 stick is an aeotec z-stick gen 5 / zw090- c

I don't really know where i could find this restore feature, maybe you could give me another hint ?

Thanks again
                          Phil

Comment

I don't think HS3 supports the restore operation for the Aeon Gen5 stick.

If it is supported you will see the restore option in the list of controller actions.

Paul..
                            Attached Files

Comment

Thanks ! That is actually weird, I have the backup option but not the restore one, so i actually wonder why there is a backup function !!! So i guess. I need to dissociate all my device et restart all my config on my new controller ?

Comment

Working...
                              X