Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is iPhone viable device for HS3 and plug-ins?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is iPhone viable device for HS3 and plug-ins?

I plan to reuse an older iPhone with existing voice and text AT&T service to integrate with HS3PRO.

Scenario
    I plan to install my new DSC PC1864 v4.6 security system very soon. Have all the components. It will integrate with HS3 on the LAN via Envisalink EVL-4. I plan for DSC to talk with HS3 using the DSC plug-in; and HS3 handle all the 2-way voice & text notifications using the interface to the iPhone.

Are there known issues or successes with this type of setup?

Questions specific to using an iPhone with HS3:
    1. Would an iPhone device be suitable based on experiences?
    2. Is the best (or only) connection via RS-232 serial and any recommended cables or known cables to stay away from for power & communication?
    3. Is anything else needed like a rs-232 emulation app on the iPhone for HS3 or plugins to communicate with?
    4. Is there anything else I should be aware of when starting out with this?

Thank you!

Originally posted by FLtechie View Post
    I plan to reuse an older iPhone with existing voice and text AT&T service to integrate with HS3PRO.

Scenario
    I plan to install my new DSC PC1864 v4.6 security system very soon. Have all the components. It will integrate with HS3 on the LAN via Envisalink EVL-4. I plan for DSC to talk with HS3 using the DSC plug-in; and HS3 handle all the 2-way voice & text notifications using the interface to the iPhone.

Are there known issues or successes with this type of setup?

Questions specific to using an iPhone with HS3:
    1. Would an iPhone device be suitable based on experiences?
    2. Is the best (or only) connection via RS-232 serial and any recommended cables or known cables to stay away from for power & communication?
    3. Is anything else needed like a rs-232 emulation app on the iPhone for HS3 or plugins to communicate with?
    4. Is there anything else I should be aware of when starting out with this?

Thank you!
    I use iPhones, a DSC PC1864, a DSC RFK5564 keypad, Envisalink EVL-4 and HomeSeer HS3. I use Spud's plug-in for the Envisalink interface. I do not use RS-232 or USB for anything in the system - making it easier to start up a backup HomeSeer controller remotely in case of a failure in the primary.

I use the stock HS3Touch client for the iPhone allowing me full control of HomeSeer as well as the DSC panel. It all works beautifully. I have events that can arm/disarm my system, can do it with the iPhone client, with the DSC keypad or with DSC wireless remotes.
    HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.0 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

The words older iPhone give me some concern - if you are intending on using HSTouch I understand now it only supports iOS versions 9.x above rather than anything older. Some older iPhones may not be able to use these versions.

Comment

Sorry, I wasn't clear on the purpose of the iPhone. It will be used as a GSM module (modem/phone) for voice and text with HS3.

I want to use this form of communication in the event my internet connection experienced a service outage or hardware failure. The GSM gateway would enable me to stay in touch with activity at my home.

Comment

Sorry, I wasn't clear on the purpose of the iPhone. It will be used as a GSM module (modem/phone) for voice and text with HS3.

I want to use this form of communication in the event my internet connection experienced a service outage or hardware failure. The GSM gateway would enable me to stay in touch with activity at my home.
          Well, then nevermind
          HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.0 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

I would have a look in some of the SMS type plugin forums for modems that do work with HS, I'm not sure there are external modems for the iPhone looking at stuff like this https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3770397?tstart=0 and I am not sure how else you would be able to communicate with it. When you connect it by the cable it is not going to launch as a device that is easy to talk to (unless you have another solution).

I would imagine in this situation you are better off with a simple phone that is usually of the type to be thrown away with an actual serial port on the pins on the bottom of the phone, thinking of an old Nokia or something.

Comment

Working...
            X