Automation after Death

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Automation after Death

I know this topic has been discussed before, but I just stumbled across this on the tubes...

I guess the key is, documentation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-aaLGKBgTZc

I saw that when he released it a few weeks ago (I subscribe to his channel). I think it's a good idea, but I have a different approach.

My approach is to have a rollback plan. I am currently documenting and setting up a plan to have the ha removed. My wife doesn't care enough about the ha and it would be too much of a hassle for her to maintain if something were to happen to me. Most of my switches will work as switches without homeseer, but if the KPLs die that would not be a simple fix, so it's easier to have a plan to go back to dumb switches

I know this isn't for everyone, but I think it's what will work best for us. For this same reason I am on having the russound keypads installed in the zones, even if we don't use them now due to the ha.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Comment

It's not just death. People move. Sometimes for reasons that are not their own choice. Assuming the present state will continue indefinitely into the future is not rational. We all need a plan. HA is just one part.
      Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
      HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

Automation after Death

I installed stuff like wha and cameras knowing they will stay with the house when we move (also knowing the market where I live, people will know and want this type of stuff). HA will be removed though (market is not there yet).

I have everything setup to work independent of each other (cameras have a dedicated NVR, security system separate and WHA) but integrated into each other. I could turn the switch off on my HA server right now and lose the automation, but not core functionality. I have always worked within these confines for the very reason that if I die tomorrow, the house can go dumb and my wife can sell it as is, knowing the next buyer probably won't care.

I do need to document things, and plan to leave a "master book" with one of my friends I trust that is into HA too, if anything so he can come over and rip it out for my wife.

Another thing to consider is our networks. My buddy's network is so complicated now that when he dies, his wife won't know what to do when things break. Mine is getting to that point too. Once we get beyond just the simple gateway/router setup, it's beyond the average joe to maintain. Another thing needing documentation, and a backout plan.

Comment

This has already happened in our community as we have lost several people through out the years.

I hope that HomeSeer Technologies has a succession plan, and a disaster recovery plan would not be a bad idea.... Hint Hint.
          HomeSeer 2, HomeSeer 3, Allonis myServer, Amazon Alexa Dots, ELK M1G, ISY 994i, HomeKit, BlueIris, and 6 "4k" Cameras using NVR, and integration between all of these systems. Home Automation since 1980.

Comment

Here helped Jim Doolittle's (RIP) widow after his passing. He did not document his automation. His Homeseer server sat on his work bench in his basement with HA widgets tacked on to a piece of plywood on his work bench. His wife was very dependent on Jim for just about everything in the household. In the beginning she wanted the automation to run and over time (year 1 to year 2) she had me remove everything.

She called me last year about 3 days to her selling (closing) of her home to remove the last of the UPB switches that Jim had installed and replace them with conventional switches which I did the afternoon-night before closing. I had concerns with the use of virtual switches which I couldn't really fix that night as more conduit would have been needed.

Like many Homeseer folks Jim had configured the heartbeat of the home, tinkering with new stuff and working on his automation "DooLittle" software and his accident interupted all of this.

Personally left an old combination security / automation panel in the old old home with some X10 automation and a 500 or so page installation / instruction manual. Buyer removed everything over time as he had no interest in HA.

I did document for my personal use and today still keep a clipboard with drawings and a little notebook on the computer rack with notes and lists of stuff. It is divided up as always with once section being just patch panels / media cans (Leviton) and another section (server) being a rack with servers. Now today with the addition of POE switches to the GB managed switches (all matching these days).

Basic heartbeat of the Home here is in the combination security / automation OmniPro 2 panel which is connected to X10, UPB, Z-Wave and Zigbee (and audio) which works fine with no software running.

The supplemental high level stuff is Homeseer with text to speech and the use of triggers / events and automation which works fine and I say I do not depend on it but really do.

Wife today knows how to use the Omnitouch screens and UPB switches (many multipaddle / dual load) just fine (even better than me) and she would continue to use these but most likely shut down HS. She commented to me this morning that the HS TTS was a bit too high in volume so turning it down some. I am using 4 virtual instances of speaker dot exe each with their own volume controls, then the mothership has a master volume control then it going to the distributed analogue audio (did also have a mixer in place). This is beyond the scope of what she understands such that the analog would continue running (Russound).
            Last edited by Pete; April 23, 2017, 12:24 PM.
            - Pete

Auto mator
            Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
            Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
            HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
            HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

I guess I should clarify. I am in the process of doing complete documentation on not only the HA System, but also the 3 SMCs, Rack, etc that is in our "utility closet". The physical stuff like the network, my wife will likely never remove (since it's all pulled wire), but also likely never use. As someone else said though, this is also in case we sell the house. If/when I do sell, I will be offering the system to the new owner along with all the wall mounted TVs, the equipment in the rack, etc. The only caveat is my server which houses HS, which I will offer to replace with a NUC with HS.

In the town I live in, I doubt that any potential buyer will want the HS, but you never know.

I also find that the documentation will help me as well as I add/remove/change things. It's not fun, but it will be worth it.

Comment

Here utilize MS Visio to do drawings and also took pictures and inserted them in to the Visio spreadsheet. Many Excel spreadsheets and labeled the wires and patch panels on both sides.

All of this mostly for me such that I can refer to the docs when I have lost my mind.

Wife has stated a few times she would just unplug all of the infrastructure doing the green thing.
                - Pete

Auto mator
                Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
                Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Ugh, dark thread here. I agree good disaster recovery involves documentation and properly tracking changes over time. At work I use an asset management and ticketing system to cover 90% of my documentation. This allows me to enumerate configuration, and changes from origin are captured and caught. We then use Visio to create visual aids. Lastly, we test recovery processes to confirm that our plan will work.
                  At home I will admit that I am not as organized about documentation as I am at work. I have put together a few Visio diagrams to help me keep track of all my network configurations. I have been considering standing up a spiceworks server to get asset tracking, network monitoring, and ticketing system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Jeez and here I thought it would be something automated to remind your loved one of you when you're gone. If your occupancy in the house wasn't detected after x months then something would be triggered to happen.

As for this discussion I am not as in depth as most here, but all Z-wave switches can be operated as "dumb" switches, you just lose all the occupancy and automation aspects of it. The hardest part is how I have configured our phones with Tasker and PHLocation to work with HS3...switching phones always creates a ton of work with having to set stuff up again. Likewise moving HS3 to another PC, always a ton of work and something I can't easily document for my wife to take over if I was to be gone.

Comment

Yup; here automation is a hobby.

I consider the essentials of the heartbeat of the home just that:

Primary:

1 - security (using central monitoring services primarily with secondary texts alerts).
                      2 - lighting schedules and on demand
                      3 - HVAC and multiple combo temperature / humidity sensors
                      4 - hardware audio connections

HVAC is mostly just looked at for status but not really touched.
                      Audio is basic with source picking, volume and zone picking.
                      The light switches are programmed and function fine locally for loads and links to other switches.

The remote console stuff via cellular is a nice add but is not necessary these days to watch or remote control as the house functions fine without it.

The above stays mostly on the OmniPro 2 panel.

Secondarily is the use of Homeseer (x2) which compliments the primary heartbeat of the home. These are nice addendums to base heartbeat.
                      The TTS / VR are nice adds but not necessary for the basics. IE: weather is pooled from a variety of sources to HS (including weather station which is the best weather to watch for the house).

Relating to work endeavors I have seen DR done and practiced vigilantly in some places and then also coming up with DR plans after the face (mickey mouse style). Same with security stuff. Many companies consider security / DR a waste of monies until a disaster occurs (tight budgets). Really though will folks stay at work if the precedence is to take care of their families first any how?
                      Last edited by Pete; April 26, 2017, 09:13 AM.
                      - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Pete, I am pretty much the same. I turn HS off today, and the other things will still keep going that are important (Security, Cams, and Whole House Audio), all which also remain with the house when I sell it. I've been very careful about how I add things, so that either they are permanent or easily removed without damage to the house... in the event that my wife is selling the house without me.

I have been very careful to make sure HS is used for what I see its true purpose in life is, integrate uncommon technologies to talk to each other. This way if I shut it off, things still work as they should, just a little dumber .

That being said, We have become very dependent on the technology (my wife will never admit it, but is quick to let me know if something isn't working), and only see us getting more dependent as the technology evolves. So who knows in 20 years... when/if this becomes mainstream, this discussion won't matter.

Oh and Pete, I deal with DR testing monthly at my current job... It's fun because its always in the middle of the night I am working .

Comment

No comments from HomeSeer Technologies. Not good.

Please consider the following as a mere thought provoking measure:

So for those of you that actually have read the license agreement ( I honestly have not), what is stated in terms of the license if HomeSeer Technologies is no longer in business? While I am not so concerned about the company going out of business, in the context of this thread, I am concerned if the required individuals are no longer available in case of the "bus" syndrome.

Probably not the case here, but some companies put the source code for their product in escrow such that someone else can continue to support the product should it be necessary.

I would like to see HomeSeer Technologies come up with a long term succession plan where the source code is escrowed and available to certain trusted individuals if a "disaster" occurs. This is not a requirement, but would certainly show the maturity of the company and how serious they are about doing business.

Thoughts?
                          HomeSeer 2, HomeSeer 3, Allonis myServer, Amazon Alexa Dots, ELK M1G, ISY 994i, HomeKit, BlueIris, and 6 "4k" Cameras using NVR, and integration between all of these systems. Home Automation since 1980.

Comment

Originally posted by Pete View Post
                            Here helped Jim Doolittle's (RIP) widow after his passing. He did not document his automation. His Homeseer server sat on his work bench in his basement with HA widgets tacked on to a piece of plywood on his work bench. His wife was very dependent on Jim for just about everything in the household. In the beginning she wanted the automation to run and over time (year 1 to year 2) she had me remove everything.

She called me last year about 3 days to her selling (closing) of her home to remove the last of the UPB switches that Jim had installed and replace them with conventional switches which I did the afternoon-night before closing. I had concerns with the use of virtual switches which I couldn't really fix that night as more conduit would have been needed.

Like many Homeseer folks Jim had configured the heartbeat of the home, tinkering with new stuff and working on his automation "DooLittle" software and his accident interupted all of this.

Personally left an old combination security / automation panel in the old old home with some X10 automation and a 500 or so page installation / instruction manual. Buyer removed everything over time as he had no interest in HA.

I did document for my personal use and today still keep a clipboard with drawings and a little notebook on the computer rack with notes and lists of stuff. It is divided up as always with once section being just patch panels / media cans (Leviton) and another section (server) being a rack with servers. Now today with the addition of POE switches to the GB managed switches (all matching these days).

Basic heartbeat of the Home here is in the combination security / automation OmniPro 2 panel which is connected to X10, UPB, Z-Wave and Zigbee (and audio) which works fine with no software running.

The supplemental high level stuff is Homeseer with text to speech and the use of triggers / events and automation which works fine and I say I do not depend on it but really do.

Wife today knows how to use the Omnitouch screens and UPB switches (many multipaddle / dual load) just fine (even better than me) and she would continue to use these but most likely shut down HS. She commented to me this morning that the HS TTS was a bit too high in volume so turning it down some. I am using 4 virtual instances of speaker dot exe each with their own volume controls, then the mothership has a master volume control then it going to the distributed analogue audio (did also have a mixer in place). This is beyond the scope of what she understands such that the analog would continue running (Russound).
                            RIP Jim, miss that guy.
                            HS3 Prod - Win10 - DSC - HVAC-GC-TBZ48 x3 - CurrentCost - BLRadar - RFXCOM/FRXTRX433 -ADIO - HSTOUCH - BLUPS - AB8SS - SONOS - Alexa - 1 wire - BlueIris -MyQ

Comment

Working...
                            X