Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

X10 CM11A not sending signals [Resolved]

Hi everyone,

I'm not new to HomeSeer. I have used it since 2003, however my old computer was very old and the hard drive was corrupted. I decided to use a newer computer and bought HS3 and I am using a new X-10 CM11A controller module. Since this computer running Win XP Pro doesn't have an RS-232 serial port, I bought a USB to RS-232 adapter using the FTDI chipset. The install went well, I loaded the driver and everything looks OK in Device Manager. It is recognized in USB ports and COM ports as COM4. I installed the X-10 Plugin in HS3 Plugins and activated it successfully, setting the COM port to COM4. I then typed in all my X-10 devices, which thankfully I had a hard copy of. HSTouch even recognizes them but I can't get them to communicate with the CM11A. I was reading somewhere that the problem could be with the USB to RS-232 driver conflicting with the X-10 signals, not allowing them to pass. I can't turn any device on or off. Has anyone had a similar problem? Is there any way to get around this? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Moderator note: Resolved in Post #24 below.
    Last edited by mfisher; December 18, 2017, 10:14 AM.

A couple of preliminary questions:
    1. Do all your X10 devices in HS3 have the X10 tab (like the screen shot below). If not be sure to read this post and follow its instructions to the letter.
    2. Have you looked at this thread? If not, I'd suggest you install the latest beta of the X10 plug-in.
    3. What power line interface did you use in HS2 and why did you move to a new CM11A when you moved to HS3?

The most recent plug-in versions add more diagnostic capability and may offer additional clues about any communication problems you are having.
    Attached Files
    Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
    HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

Thank you for your reply. I don't get the GUI that you show, but I was able to set up all my devices in HS3. I have since installed a PCI serial controller with 16550 UART on COM1 and still get the same results. My X10 plug-in says all is ok and I get no error messages on HS3 bootup. I am using this newer computer in a different location. Might the problem be in where it plugs into the AC line?

Thank you,
      Ivan

Comment

Originally posted by Ivan8ias View Post
        I don't get the GUI that you show, but I was able to set up all my devices in HS3.
        If you do not have the X10 tab, then the X10 plug-in does not recognize your devices as being under its control, so it cannot control them. Therefore, you will not be able to turn them on and off from HS3.

You MUST create X10 devices by the protocol in the post I linked previously. That means you will have to delete the devices you have already created and start over.

To make matters worse, it can be frustrating to get the X10 tab to appear. Often, when you click the plus icon to add a device, the device entry popup will fail to appear. If that happens, you need to try again. You cannot create an X10 device unless you enter its address in the X10 tab before you close the popup. If the popup fails to open, there is no way to get the X10 tab back. I found that once I had an X10 device, it was much easier to copy the device and change its address than to try to create a new one from scratch.
        Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

I installed the beta version of the X10 Plug-in (which was the same as the one I already had) I followed your advice and deleted all my previous entries. Now I get the X10 tab. I am trying to make my first entry. I entered the codes in the X10 tab and saved them. I also entered all the info in the Configuration tab and saved that. Still doesn't work. What should the device type in the X10 field be? Standard, Appliance, Preset or Extended? I used Standard.

I also this morning successfully installed a PCI 1 Port Serial Adapter Card with 16550 UART for the CM11A. Windows XP Device Manager recognizes it and it is working properly as COM1. I get no error messages when I start HS3 either, so HS3 sees it.

What do you recommend I do now?
          Also, how do you copy a device entry so it can be changed to the next device?

I really appreciate all your help.

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Michael View Post
            A couple of preliminary questions:
            1. Do all your X10 devices in HS3 have the X10 tab (like the screen shot below). If not be sure to read this post and follow its instructions to the letter.
            2. Have you looked at this thread? If not, I'd suggest you install the latest beta of the X10 plug-in.
            3. What power line interface did you use in HS2 and why did you move to a new CM11A when you moved to HS3?

The most recent plug-in versions add more diagnostic capability and may offer additional clues about any communication problems you are having.
            I followed the instructions and replaced the X10 exe file, (which was the same ver as the replaced one) and deleted all my devices and started from scratch. I get the X10 tab now, but the other HomeSeer Configuration tab doesn't look like the screen shot you show, specifically it does not have the broad and narrow fields where X10 is chosen and device.

Comment

I followed the instructions and replaced the X10 exe file, (which was the same ver as the replaced one) and deleted all my devices and started from scratch. I get the X10 tab now, but the other HomeSeer Configuration tab doesn't look like the screen shot you show, specifically it does not have the broad and narrow fields where X10 is chosen and device.
              I changed the names of Location 1 and Location 2 to 'Broad' and 'Narrow'. (It's an option on the Setup/Custom tab.) Yours may be 'Room' and 'Floor' or 'Location1' and 'Location2'. (I can't remember what they were originally.) Otherwise, your Configuration tab should look like mine. (The X10 code on the Configuration tab should be populated automatically with the values you entered on the X10 tab.)
              What should the device type in the X10 field be? Standard, Appliance, Preset or Extended? I used Standard.
              That should work for most common switches and plug-in lamp modules. 'Appliance' would be for a module that is only on or off. 'Preset' and 'Extended' are intended to identify devices that use either the preset dim protocol or extended X10 codes.
              I also this morning successfully installed a PCI 1 Port Serial Adapter Card with 16550 UART for the CM11A. Windows XP Device Manager recognizes it and it is working properly as COM1. I get no error messages when I start HS3 either, so HS3 sees it. What do you recommend I do now?
              If you check the 'Developer Mode' box on 'Plug-Ins/Manage' page a DOS box will open for each plug-in. The X10 plug-in box will contain additional diagnostics that may be of help. I'm hoping Mark Fisher will break in to help with interpreting those.
              Also, how do you copy a device entry so it can be changed to the next device?
              If you place a check mark in the box to the extreme left of the device on the Device Management page, you can then select 'Copy' in the drop down box at the top of the page. It will ask you to select a location or define a new location. A new device with the same name as the old device followed by Copy(n) will appear. (To see it, be sure the location you provided is checked in the selection drop down list.)
              I really appreciate all your help.
              I'm glad it's been useful. I hate being the bearer of bad news.

Comment

Thank you Michael for always jumping in to help! I'm not able to check the board as frequently as I'd like and I really appreciate your willingness to help.

Ivan, let's make sure that your X10 system is functioning. Please perform the following steps to verify that the plugin is communicating with the CM11a and that the CM11a is transmitting onto the power line:

1) Plug an X10 module (lamp or appliance) into the same outlet that your CM11a is plugged into.
                2) Create a new X10 device, click the X10 tab, set the HC, UC and Type to match the module (choose Appliance if you're not sure), then click done. (Don't change any settings on the config page).
                3) Go to the Plugins/Manage page and enable 'Developer Mode'.
                4) Disable then re-enable the X10 plugin to restart it. The plugin only checks the developer mode (debug) setting when it starts up.
                5) Verify that the plugin status is "OK" before proceeding.
                6) Return to the Manage Devices page and turn the module On and Off. Notice whether the module turns On & Off.
                7) Go to the log and copy all of the entries from when the X10 plugin was restarted (in step 4) to the last plugin message after you attempt to control the module.
                8) Post the log entries here and let us know if the module turned on and off.

The log entries will help us understand whether the plugin can reliably communicate with the CM11a and whether the CM11a is having trouble communicating on the power line, which will allow us to provide additional troubleshooting steps.
                Last edited by mfisher; May 11, 2017, 09:33 AM.
                Best regards,
                -Mark-

If you're not out on the edge, you're taking up too much room!
                Interested in 3D maps? Check out my company site: Solid Terrain Modeling

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Michael View Post
                  .... If you check the 'Developer Mode' box on 'Plug-Ins/Manage' page a DOS box will open for each plug-in. The X10 plug-in box will contain additional diagnostics that may be of help. I'm hoping Mark Fisher will break in to help with interpreting those.
                  The DOS box that is opened when the plugin is started in Developer Mode does not currently provide any information other than to show the plugin has started and has (or has not) connected to HS3, and this is the state I inherited it. I have thought about adding debug messages there, but to be honest I think many users would struggle with copying messages from a DOS box and posting them to the board rather than from the log file. Also, having debug messages in the HS log is helpful to see the interactions between HS and the plugin in context.

If you have suggestions for things you'd like to see displayed in the DOS box let me know and I'll add them to 'the list.'

Thanks again for your support!
                  Best regards,
                  -Mark-

If you're not out on the edge, you're taking up too much room!
                  Interested in 3D maps? Check out my company site: Solid Terrain Modeling

Comment

Here lately been using tail functions in Linux and multiple terminal windows. There is a tails like program for Windows called BareTail over here ==> BareTail

Rob added a plugin only log viewer to the Leviton OmniPro 2 plugin. It is static viewer for the hai logging.

Personally here just watching the Homeseer logs and debug data from the Mark's plugin live. Works fine for me.

Only time I paid attention was relating to delays and noise can cause delays.

I had an X10 noise storm a couple of weeks back.

It was all day and the noise levels were easy to see with my old Elk meter. (50%).

The debug log during the elevated powerline noise that day did show extended attempts to communicate with the CM11A and if it did work 3-4 second delays.

The CM11A, TW523's and Volp's stuff didn't work at all that day. (IE: all of the devices). That day was the first time I saw a warning message on the plugin manager page.

Still seeing a little bit of noise (before didn't) and I can see it now in the debug logs.

May-11 10:13:55 AM X10 DEBUG CM11A.SendIt(): Sending 2 bytes: 0x4 0x66
                    May-11 10:13:55 AM X10 DEBUG CM11A.SendIt(): Data sent, waiting for checksum From CM11a...
                    May-11 10:13:55 AM X10 DEBUG CM11A.SendIt(): Received a good checksum: 0x6A
                    May-11 10:13:55 AM X10 DEBUG CM11A.SendIt(): Send 0x00 to CM11a (command to transmit the data onto the power line).
                    May-11 10:13:56 AM X10 DEBUG CM11A.SendIt(): Got ack of: 0x55
                    May-11 10:13:56 AM X10 DEBUG CM11A.SendIt(): Success! 0.284 seconds for CM11a to send.
                    May-11 10:13:56 AM X10 DEBUG CM11A.SendIt(): Sending 2 bytes: 0x6 0x62
                    May-11 10:13:56 AM X10 DEBUG CM11A.SendIt(): Data sent, waiting for checksum From CM11a...
                    May-11 10:13:56 AM X10 DEBUG CM11A.SendIt(): Received a good checksum: 0x68
                    May-11 10:13:56 AM X10 DEBUG CM11A.SendIt(): Send 0x00 to CM11a (command to transmit the data onto the power line).
                    May-11 10:13:57 AM X10 WARNING Still waiting for CM11a to send data... (1.001 sec)
                    May-11 10:13:57 AM X10 DEBUG CM11A.SendIt(): Got ack of: 0x55
                    May-11 10:13:57 AM X10 WARNING 1.184 seconds for CM11A to send data. Possible noise or interference on power line.
                    Last edited by Pete; May 11, 2017, 10:19 AM.
                    - Pete

Auto mator
                    Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
                    Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
                    HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
                    HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Originally posted by mfisher View Post
                      The DOS box that is opened when the plugin is started in Developer Mode does not currently provide any information other than to show the plugin has started and has (or has not) connected to HS3, and this is the state I inherited it.
                      Oops. Sorry, that was a misconception on my part. I think having all the debug info in the HS log (or a dedicated plug-in log) is a much better alternative.

Comment

Hello again. Here are the screenshots of the X10 tab contents and the Homeseer Configuration tab. I don't see what you show in your Homeseer Configuration page refering to an X10 field entry:
                        Attached Files

Comment

Here are the screenshots of the X10 tab contents and the Homeseer Configuration tab. I don't see what you show in your Homeseer Configuration page refering to an X10 field entry:
                          I assume your question is referring to the circled entry in the attached image. If so, 'X10' is just the name I gave to the category. You chose to call it 'Front Yard'. It does not have any other significance beyond an arbitrary label.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Hi. No, I mean that I don't have a field for broad or narrow. In other words, I don't have the pull down box where yours says X10. It's a whole different interface than yours.

Comment

As I noted in post #7. 'Broad' and 'Narrow' are labels that I substituted for 'Floor' and 'Room' in your image. Those labels can be set to whatever you want in the Setup/Custom tab of HS3.

Comment

Working...
                              X