Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Arduino Disconnects + Reconnects

Hello,

Every few days Homeseer will show the Arduino has disconnected. To fix it, I don't have to reset anything - I just go to the board configuration page and click "connect" and it starts working again.

I'm not sure why the board is occasionally disconnecting, probably the WiFi, but, is there a way to have it attempt to re-connect automatically instead of forcing it manually? I have "Auto-Connect" checkbox clicked.

v1.0.0.131

Thanks!

I am seeing similiar behaviour on a NodeMCU, the board shows connection failure but the interesting thing is that both the LCD and the connected Outputs work as expected ( no inputs currently configured).

Comment

I have a couple of nodeMCUs that were just put into 'production' this last weekend. They have not missed a beat since. They aren't yet doing very much (only motion and doors/windows) but overall I'm pleased.

Comment

My nodes remain stable but sometimes when I am dinking around on the bench I do have to reset the node from the plugin or even have to power cycle the node. I'm sure I'll find something in the production environment that requires some action. Some of my nodes are 200 feet away in outbuildings. I do see that in events we can test the value as well as change the status.

Anyone come up with some event logic for 'if this value then do that' that works reliably to bring the node back to connected state?

Comment

did anyone come up with a reason as to why a nodemcu would connect and have a reconnect errors? I just put together a nodemcu with a lcd display with the standard sketch out of the plugin. I can send and update the string values through an event running every 2 minutes just fine, but after 5 or 6 minutes it then says "connection error", goes blank, reconnects and displays properly again. I added an alive pin into the sketch hoping that would solve my problem, but it didnt. I am only about 20 feet from my router so it shouldnt be because of a weak signal.

Comment

What version of the plug-in are you running? I have 2 NodeMCUs with LCD displays and they have not disconnected at all. They run 24/7 and show the last disconnection was day before yesterday due to an HS server restart for maintenance.
            HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.0 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

Here is an event I use to automatically reconnect any arduino that goes offline. One event per board. Note the 'heartbeat' you see is something I added to my custom sketch.

Click image for larger version

Name:	connect_event.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	136.4 KB
ID:	1242609

Comment

How are you powering the board? I have an ESP8266 board embedded in an outdoor light fixture. At first it would go offline every few days. I added a 100uF capacitor across the DC input and since then it's run over a year with zero lockups.

Comment

+1
                  Maybe twice, three times a day, the display goes blank and after a while it says Board 6 - initializing with a version number

The log shows connection errors, but eventually the board recovers (could be because of the plugin or the event I have that will reset and reconnect if the board fails)

aug-22 08:39:30 Arduino Plugin Selected Board No6
                  aug-22 08:39:24 Arduino Plugin New Com port Found
                  aug-22 08:37:12 Arduino Plugin Updating Values on Board No: 6
                  aug-22 08:37:11 Arduino Plugin Updating pins on Board No: 6
                  aug-22 08:37:11 Arduino Plugin Connected to Board No:6 at ip address 192.168.1.196 Port No:8905
                  aug-22 08:37:11 Arduino Plugin Board 6 Version 1.0.0.145 and Plugin Version 1.0.0.147 are compatible.
                  aug-22 08:37:09 Arduino Plugin Connecting Board No:6 at ip address 192.168.1.196 Port No:8905
                  aug-22 08:36:42 Arduino Plugin Updating Values on Board No: 6
                  aug-22 08:36:41 Arduino Plugin Updating pins on Board No: 6
                  aug-22 08:36:41 Arduino Plugin Connected to Board No:6 at ip address 192.168.1.196 Port No:8905
                  aug-22 08:36:41 Arduino Plugin Board 6 Version 1.0.0.145 and Plugin Version 1.0.0.147 are compatible.
                  aug-22 08:36:40 Arduino Plugin Connecting Board No:6 at ip address 192.168.1.196 Port No:8905
                  aug-22 08:36:38 Arduino Plugin Warning = Board: 6 has a connection ERROR. Trying Reset.
                  aug-22 08:36:14 Arduino Plugin Updating Values on Board No: 6
                  aug-22 08:36:13 Arduino Plugin Updating pins on Board No: 6
                  aug-22 08:36:13 Arduino Plugin Connected to Board No:6 at ip address 192.168.1.196 Port No:8905
                  aug-22 08:36:13 Arduino Plugin Board 6 Version 1.0.0.145 and Plugin Version 1.0.0.147 are compatible.
                  aug-22 08:36:08 Arduino Plugin Connecting Board No:6 at ip address 192.168.1.196 Port No:8905
                  aug-22 08:36:06 Arduino Plugin Updating Values on Board No: 6
                  aug-22 08:36:05 Arduino Plugin Updating pins on Board No: 6
                  aug-22 08:36:05 Arduino Plugin Connected to Board No:6 at ip address 192.168.1.196 Port No:8905
                  aug-22 08:36:05 Arduino Plugin Board 6 Version 1.0.0.145 and Plugin Version 1.0.0.147 are compatible.
                  aug-22 08:36:03 Arduino Plugin Resetting Board No 6
                  aug-22 08:36:03 Arduino Plugin Warning = Board: 6 has a connection ERROR. Retrying

Comment

Originally posted by rprade View Post
                    What version of the plug-in are you running? I have 2 NodeMCUs with LCD displays and they have not disconnected at all. They run 24/7 and show the last disconnection was day before yesterday due to an HS server restart for maintenance.
                    I just upgraded a little while ago to .148 I changed my event to update the string every 1 minute, put a connect action in the event, and that seems to have straightened it out somewhat.

Comment

Originally posted by wadesready View Post

I just upgraded a little while ago to .148 I changed my event to update the string every 1 minute, put a connect action in the event, and that seems to have straightened it out somewhat.
                      I update all 4 lines once a minute on both of mine.

Comment

Using:

Board 6 Version 1.0.0.145 and Plugin Version 1.0.0.147 are compatible.

Comment

My nodemcu is doing the same .... resets / disconnects on lcd that won’t reconnect automatically and resets every 90 seconds (causing the outputs to float high) when using outputs. Unfortunately it makes the plugin unusable here for nodemcu which is really sad.

Greig is working on the fix .... just hope it resolves soon as otherwise it’s an amazing plugin and would be really useful.

The Arduino (not nodemcu) works perfectly.

jay

Comment

I have 2 NodeMCU boards and 4 Arduino Megas and none of disconnect. I rebooted yesterday morning at about 9:45. As you can see, there have been no disconnects since then. Board 8 and board 9 are the NodeMCU boards. Last year I had a total of 5 NodeMCU boards for several months. I have never seen disconnect issues with either the Arduino or NodeMCU boards.

Click image for larger version  Name:	7B5C34A8-9461-49B4-8BAE-EAA6DC331AD8.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	57.9 KB ID:	1243393

I would be curious what is different. Is it a WiFi network issue? I have a very robust and very busy network. My two NodeMCU boards just run LCD displays. One is about 30 feet from an AP and the other is about 20 feet in a different direction. It would seem to me that if it was a plug-in issue, it would affect everyone.

Comment

Hey RP.... I think it’s something that is affecting more than just me according to Greig.

I think the reason you’re stable may be to do with the fact that you’re not using inputs or outputs. When I sent the logs through to Greig apparently it was crashing trying to set the outputs. His code then has a reset programmed at 90 seconds to recover.

Also, when using the LCD it sounds like a lot of people send an update or refresh command every 60 seconds which may inadvertently be why they don’t have reset issues.

Hopefully Greig will get to the bottom of it soon as it’s going to be fab to get everything running.

All the best,

jay
                              Last edited by jayceekeys; August 25, 2018, 02:33 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X