Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Moving HS3 Directory on Linux

Hi all,

When I installed HS3 on my Ubuntu desktop machine using the instructions from this post, I ended up with a nice working system, but it lives in
    /home/geoff/Downloads/homeseer/HomeSeer/

I've seen reference to it being installed in more standard locations like /usr/bin (etc).
    Is there a standard way to do this move? Or can I just move the entire /HomeSeer folder there?
    Is there a recommended standard location?

I understand I'd have to modify my service script that starts/stops HS, but I'm ok with that, just want to know what other considerations there might be with paths etc.

Thanks,
    Geoff

Current Date/Time: 12/16/2017 2:19:05 PM
    HomeSeer Version: HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.368
    Linux version: Linux bertha 4.4.0-98-generic #121-Ubuntu SMP Tue Oct 10 14:24:03 UTC 2017 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux System Uptime: 26 Days 20 Hours 10 Minutes 22 Seconds
    IP Address: 192.168.70.99
    Number of Devices: 27
    Number of Events: 33
    Available Threads: 399

Enabled Plug-Ins
    2.0.74.0: BLLock
    3.5.1118.14: HSBuddy
    3.0.1.130: Z-Wave

There is is only the Zee2 linux standard relating to where the Homeseer directory sits...is here

/usr/local/HomeSeer

You can install it anywhere..linux is linux

I have mine installed in the root drive - /HomeSeer
    Other users use the /opt/HomeSeer directory

and other users install it in their Home directory...

Relating to /home/geoff/Downloads/homeseer/HomeSeer/

You can move the directory anywhere. Personally I would not keep it there...

I would move it to the /opt/HomeSeer directory.

That and create new sudo users homeseer and a personal name on the box.

Give root a password too if you want.

Then make sure that the new users have RW access to the new

/opt/HomeSeer directory and

in the HS gui make the user names and passwords the same as above.

If you are doing this via the Ubuntu x windows then make sure you are running in sudo and make sure that the file manager is running in sudo or root to move stuff around. It is easier to use another Ubuntu computer (here utilize my lapto) and remote to the Homeseer computer (running headless).
    - Pete

Auto mator
    Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
    Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
    HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
    HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

To search every file in the system for the original path, you can use:

sudo find / -mount -type f -exec grep -Hs /home/geoff/Downloads/homeseer {} \;

Comment

Originally posted by Pete View Post
        I would move it to the /opt/HomeSeer directory.
        That and create new sudo users homeseer and a personal name on the box.
        Give root a password too if you want.

Then make sure that the new users have RW access to the new /opt/HomeSeer directory and in the HS gui make the user names and passwords the same as above.
        Thanks for all the great info, Pete. That all makes sense, and moving the folder sounds like a zero-impact task apart from updating the service script.

The only part I don't get is the users. You're saying create a linux sudo user called homeseer, and a matching user in homeseer (under Tools > Setup > Network)?

Does homeseer automatically connect those two somehow?

Thanks,
        Geoff

Comment

Originally posted by zwolfpack View Post
          To search every file in the system for the original path, you can use:

sudo find / -mount -type f -exec grep -Hs /home/geoff/Downloads/homeseer {} \;
          Took me a minute to figure out the goal here, but I get it now - figure out what might be referring to the original path so that I can change it. Thanks! Running that now.

Comment

Does homeseer automatically connect those two somehow?

I am thinking that maybe it does.

You do not have to use a systemd service script to start Homeseer 3. HST uses the rc.local file to do this (it is not a service though). Here use a boot cron job and systemd (one on one box and the other on the other HS3 box). Just mentioning that it is not necessary. Here just shut down HS3 via the HS3 GUI.

You can mix in both stuff via a terminal session and or using Windows tools like WinSCP or Webmin to copy directories and edit script files (like systemd).

Whatever works for you the best as it is flexible and there is really no right or wrong way to implement HS3 on Linux.

Yesterday remotely via a WAN SSH session created a new Homeseer 3 RPi3 using a base image of Stretch...still fresh in my mind...

- before un tar HS3 to /opt directory

1 - logged in via pi and initially changed the pi password to something else
            2 - created a homeseer sudo user, pete sudo user, owner sudo user on the Pi
            3 - created a root password
            4 - changed ssh configuration to allow for root ssh
            5 - did an update and upgrade
            6 - install mono-complete and vnbc stuff Rich mentions.
            7 - rebooted RPi3 and ssh'd via WAN via root

- after untar of HS3 This is what I personally do.

8 - untarred HS3 Pro / Standard to /opt/HomeSeer directory
            9 - redid rights for the /opt/Homeseer directory to allow RW for users created (it should work without this step but I do it anyways)
            10 - opened a second ssh session with a loopback configured and edited my local browser to use the ssh loopback address
            11 - ran ./go in HS3 directory on one terminal session
            12 - used my browser (edited to utilize the loopback address of 127.0.0.1 / port:8888 to get to the HS3 box - you then just type the IP of the homeseer3 server like so....hxxp://localipofhomeseer:5555 NOTE SSH is a cheap way fast way to create a sort of VPN tunnel.
            13 - HS3 started up without a prompt to change the administrative password
            14 - disabled default access
            15 - created a homeseer, pete, user and password with admin rights in the HS3 GUI
            16 - changed the default port from 80 to 5555
            17 - disabled upnp and myhomeseer access for time bean
            18 - set location (before this also did the local time thing in the terminal session)
            19 - disabled energy stuff
            20 - reduced log size to 5Mb
            21 - enabled iphack blocking
            22 - disabled myhomeseer remote (for time bean)
            23 - enabled json and ascii stuff
            24 - disabled upnp
            25 - enabled hstouch

Total time from soup to nuts was about 20 minutes or so. The mono installation took the longest.

This works well for a new build starting from scratch.

Caveat is that a transfer of a running HS3 build using Mono 3.28 and new Mono 5.4X will cause a loss of triggers in your stuff. One user doing this was able to fix his old triggers editing each event.
            Last edited by Pete; December 17, 2017, 04:21 PM.
            - Pete

Auto mator
            Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
            Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Thanks, Pete - that's quite a list!

I don't have the luxury of a dual-machine headless setup like you describe, but at some point I'll either buy a nuc and start over, or I'll repurpose an old laptop.

I was trying to get my instance running as a non-root user, which was almost working apart from not being able to talk to the SmartStick+. The COM port was usable (my homeseer user was a member of dialout), but I was getting error messages about not being able to talk to the SmartStick+ itself.

As soon as I made the homeseer user a member of the sudo group it worked.
              Do you know what I have to do to allow a non-homeseer user to work correctly? I've set a high port and edited the go script already.

Thanks,
              Geoff

Comment

Just add a new user to the Homeseer user list.

Here do both...if I add a new user to the Homeseer user list I also add the same user in sudo and match the passwords.
                - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

So I guess my question is: my service is running as a linux user (homeseer). Do I really need to create a HS user with the same username and password?
                  How does Homeseer use the fact that I have a Homeseer user and a Linux user with the same username and password?

Comment

Working...
                  X