New weather station

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New weather station

I just purchased a weather station with a pc interface that will allow the data to be published to an ftp site. Is there an ftp site running on the hs server if running xp pro? If not is it possible to run one? Any help would be be appreciated.

Later, Terry

XP Pro has the abilty to be an FTP server. You need to add it via the add/remove programs > Add/Remove Window Components. Select the Internet Information Services(IIS)
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Excellant, as always the man in the know.

Thanks Rupp

Comment

Which weather station did you get?

Comment

I found it at Best Buy, it say's "The Weather Channel".

The maker is La Crosse Technologies, it has a self-emptying tip bucket rain gauge, a mast mounted wind direction and anometer, external temp and hygrometer with a display unit that has a serial pc interface. All connections via phone cable so extensions were easy. The software will publish the data to an ftp site, make some charts and graphs, and I think it will also write it to a text file. One way or another I took a gamble I could get some interaction with HS so I bought it.

I got the ftp site up (I think) just trying to figure out now how to publish the weather data graphic to it. But its getting late.

here is a link http://www.heavyweather.info/new_english_us/index.html
          model 2310

Thanks for the help, later.

Comment

search HS for "heavyweather" and "lacrosse" and you'll see that others have used this with HS.

Joe

Comment

Cool, thanks for the tip. I'm not sure how it compares to other systems but it was a good starting point I think.

Comment

If mine was still in the box, I would take it back. There are a few things I do not like about it, one of which is mission critical:

1. It doesn't have a field for "wind gust," that is, "what was the recent high wind?" Instead, apparently for power consumption concern, it takes intermittent wind readings rather than always watching wind. So, I often have a "wind gust" of zero when in fact it is 10 or 15. It just turns out that the "gust" was not recorded. I really wish I had a valid wind gust, because medium breezes make my outside motion detectors useless (bushes move), and I'd have rules that disable the alerts that someone is walking in the backyard whenever it is "windy" (as defined by wind gust >x).

2. My rain gauge stopped working in the first 3 months. This is the second-most important HA aspect for me. (If it hasn't rained, then I don't care if my sump pump hasnt run in a month, but if it is raining, I want to know is runs periodically). I climbed up there to fix it, pulled the spiders out of it tested it with some sink water, put it back and it is still not working. It's a production to get it down, so I think it'll be spring...

3. Heavyweather stinks. Some folks supplement heavyweather with a program called Weather Display. Weather display is great and it talks directly to FTP sites and wunderground.com (among others), but it is a resource hog, and it won't talk directly to my LaCrosse (I have a model 3600). There are ways to use neither Heavyweather nor Weather display. Your posts will find that stuff. If you use my scripts and are having problems, let me know and I'll help. I've made some tweaks, but they should work as far as I know.

Joe

Comment

Is the serial communication protocol for the La Crosse units available?
                  Why I like my 2005 rio yellow Honda S2000 with the top down, and more!

Comment

There are a few other forums that you might find useful as you wonder "why is this thing doing this". Try "Weatherforum.net" and another is linked off of ambientweather.com. I just replaced my 2310 after 2.5 years of service. I'm now a proud owner of a Davis VP2 plus.

Good Luck!

Comment

I am a LaCrosse customer-victim

Comment

Instead, apparently for power consumption concern, it takes intermittent wind readings rather than always watching wind
                        You'll find this problem with all the wireless units. My Oregon Scientific did the same thing and when I went looking for a wireless station that didn't have the problem, I couldn't find one.

My rain gauge stopped working
                        Ditto again. Mine at least lasted 2 years before it died. I tried numerous times to contact Oregon Scientific to see about getting a replacement without buying a complete new station, but I never did hear back from them. I finally got disgusted and bought a Peet Bros. WIRED station. It was a bit of a PITA to extend the wire 300+ ft. to where the anenometer is, but once I did, everything has been working nicely.
                        My system is described in my profile.

Comment

I have just the opposite problem. My one-wire station reads so often that it causes the graphs to look really choppy. My rain guage has been in service for 5 years with only one board change due to a lightning strike that hit my lightning detector - I guess it worked huh?

Comment

Working...
                          X