No announcement yet.

TouchScreen monitors are now available in our store

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Couldn't you just use a old laptop with these? I have 3 old, PII under 200mhz laptops that I was going to pawn on Ebay, but notice that they are only selling for about $50. They will work great for web interface to HS, and since they are so old and the processor is small, there is ZERO noise coming from these laptops. Figure I can put it in the kitchen drawer, and then run one of these monitors off it.... Am I correct that I would need to run the speaker and mic wires to the HS server then?

Would this even work with a Win2K or Win98 OS?

Jay Fro

(Current Setup in Profile)

Comment

That would work fine. As you have thought yourself, they are great for use with the TouchPad plug-in and do not need anything more than a web browser.

Regards,

Rick Tinker (a.k.a. "Tink")
      HomeSeer Technologies

Regards,

Comment

I thought with winterms i had to have expensive citrix or windows terminal services to use it..

Currently Im using an old Laptop that the screen went bad on, I took the screen off and the laptop will easily mount under the cabinet, a flat panel display and a mini-trackball plugged into the mouse port allows me to select any item on the screen, when it boots up it runs windows2000 and loads Internet explorer with the -k option so there is no toolbar displayed. to power the laptop I put a junction into the wiring for the disposal and have a hot all the time outlet in the cabinet next to it.. since i figured it wasnt good to put an outlet in the same cabinet as the water pipes (nor the PC) for that matter.

would love to know how to get a winterm to work without $5000 worth of citrix / microsoft software. I have 6 or 7 of them laying around.. 7510's i think they are.
        -christopher
        PerfecTemp - the Most advanced HVAC system I've ever Built - and its in my House

Comment

The winterms should work with WTS, but you're right, $$$ for legal licensing.

- Gordon

If we are what we eat, then I'm fast, easy, and cheap!
          |
          | - Gordon

"I'm a Man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess." - Man's Prayer, Possum Lodge, The Red Green Show
          HiddenGemStudio.com - MaineMusicians.org - CunninghamCreativeMaine.website

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by cadillackid:
            I thought with winterms i had to have expensive citrix or windows terminal services to use it..

Currently Im using an old Laptop that the screen went bad on, I took the screen off and the laptop will easily mount under the cabinet, a flat panel display and a mini-trackball plugged into the mouse port allows me to select any item on the screen, when it boots up it runs windows2000 and loads Internet explorer with the -k option so there is no toolbar displayed. to power the laptop I put a junction into the wiring for the disposal and have a hot all the time outlet in the cabinet next to it.. since i figured it wasnt good to put an outlet in the same cabinet as the water pipes (nor the PC) for that matter.

would love to know how to get a winterm to work without $5000 worth of citrix / microsoft software. I have 6 or 7 of them laying around.. 7510's i think they are.
            -christopher<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wait for SP2 to be released for Windows XP. With SP2 you can now have multiple connections to an XP based host using Term Services aka Remote Connection.

SP2 is out now to beta testers and should hit sometime this summer.

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Wait for SP2 to be released for Windows XP. With SP2 you can now have multiple connections to an XP based host using Term Services aka Remote Connection. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

MediaStorm:
              Forgive me for not understanding this fully, but with this service pack will we now be able to use more than one "remote desktop" connection for a desktop PC?

-----------------------------
              **** Do You Cocoon? ****
              --------------------------------------------------
              **** Do You "Cocoon"? ****

Comment

Yep, the feature was designed for use with the Smart Displays, but the productline got canned. So far it's still enabled in the current beta, hopefully they won't remove it.

---
                Do you cocoon?
                http://www.CocoonTech.com
                HSPRO 2.4 (ESXi 4.1) | my.Alert NEW | my.Trigger | HSTouch | ACRF2 | UltraM1G | BLWeather | BLLan | Rover
                (aka xplosiv)
                Do You Cocoon? Home Automation News, Tutorials, Reviews, Forums & Chat

Comment

Also take a look at www.mini-itx.com.

Comment

Rich,
                    Nice picture of the Touchpad interface in this month's CEPro magazine(page 19) on the new MicroTouch Touch Monitor. Is that your hand Rich? Just kidding.

-Shane

Comment

Hoping someone can help before the contractor closes up my walls..

With the 3M touchscreen offered in the homeseer store, what type of preparation for an in-wall mount needs to be completed?

Obviously power, cabling, etc. But what about the framing? Not clear on how I would mount it in the wall. I want to purchase, but before I do, I want to make sure it's the right solution.

Thanks

Comment

Stinger,

The screen itself has machine thread holes for attaching a mounting bracket of your choice or your own design. I mounted one for our demo wall that we use at tradeshows, but I can't help because in that case we have full access to the back of the wall.

You have to consider where the computer is that is driving this too - do you have a large "hole" in the top and bottom plates of the wall stud bay for cables to the computer and for air circulation?

If you do and you are attaching the computer cables to the studs in such a way that they are accessible through the monitor hole, then you just need to attach some "L" brackets to the monitor so it has "ears" that will lay against the drywall. Then, using a metal bar or a piece of wood, provide a support under the monitor. This should allow you to slide the monitor into the wall where it will sit on the lower support, and then the ears will be used to secure it to the wall (through the holes into the ears, through the drywall, and into the studs).

So yes, some prep work has to be done ahead of time. You can probably not worry so much about finding the ears as they can even be made out of some cheap aluminum angle iron from Home Depot or Lowes if you want, but getting that lower support, the hole cut right, and the studs firred in (or set) to the right width are all things that do have to be done ahead of time.

FYI... According to building code, you also may not be able to have holes at the top and bottom of the stud bay due to their providing air for a fire. Workarounds might include having a hole that you can place a grommet in so that the air is closed off and only the cables are allowed to pass through, and you can help the air circulation by putting a small vent cap in the wall at the top and bottom (perhaps on the backside depending on what is on the other side of the wall) so that cool air can come in at the bottom and warm air vents out the top.

It sounds complex, but in the end I think the most complicated part is finding or building a picture frame to finish the edges after it is complete.
                        Regards,

Comment

Thanks Rick, appreciate the honest response. Unfortunately, I won't have time to get the device in order to come up with a custom bracket for it.

What I was planning on doing was putting power and the two Cat 5e cables that I'm already allocating for a previously spec'd out stargate LCD keypad in the wall. With those cables I figured I'd use a KVM (and serial/usb) adapter over cat 5 to get back to a desktop in another location.

I wish I could find an out-of-box touchscreen solution that includes a touchscreen and In-wall enclosure that is at a similar price-point (ie. less than ~$850).

Comment

Stinger,

While browsing yesterday came upon this site. Might be worth a look to see if it will fill your needs.

http://www.planar.com/Products/Embed...rame/LA15.html

Chuck

Comment

Working...
                            X