Can I run Pi-Hole on my Z-Net?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm not sure what to say that isn't covered in the title of the thread. Does anyone have any experience or thoughts on the matter?
    Originally posted by rprade
    There is no rhyme or reason to the anarchy a defective Z-Wave device can cause

I do have a Z-Net and a Pi-Hole. The Z-Net is still running bone stock as a Raspberry Pi Model B+. My Pi-Hole is a Pi3.

Personally, I wouldnt risk slowing down my lighting control for DNS, or vice-versa. The Pis are so cheap power efficient, you might be better off having them separated.
    HS4Pro on a Raspberry Pi4
    54 Z-Wave Nodes / 21 Zigbee Devices / 108 Events / 767 Devices
    Plugins: Z-Wave / Zigbee Plus / EasyTrigger / AK Weather / OMNI

HSTouch Clients: 1 Android

Comment

I would say that it depends on how loaded your z-net is. I would run HTOP to get a better idea of system resource utilization.

Here I run PFSense as my home firewall. I have a local DNS server hosted on PFSense. Also, I have been running PFBlockerNG for some time on the recommendation of @Pete.

In PFBlockerNG you can block by world region, which I did for a while. I kept finding destinations and sources that would get blocked and have to be white listed. What's more there are enough domestic sources of malicious attack that I would end up missing. I opted to take a different approach. PFBlocker supports custom IPv4 IPv6 and DNSBL lists.

Custom IPv4/IPv6 lists allow me to policy out IP communication to and from my firewall. I added a handful of black lists I trust there and opted to block communication to and from them.

DNSBL allows you to filter DNS requests with a black list. I added the feeds that Pi-holes uses here as well as a few other reputable ones I have used in the past.

So this gives me the same feature set using as Pi-hole in my existing PFSense firewall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Last edited by Kerat; August 25, 2017, 05:35 PM.

Comment

Here is an example way to show utilization of different stuff on your ZNet.

Here using an RPi2 running a few things including ZWave.

It is running ser2net, OWFS, Digitemp and Domoticz. Initially I wanted to look at the chit chat on the network.

I type sudo lsof -i -P -n | grep LISTEN

[ATTACH]62972[/ATTACH]

Then install htop

sudo apt-get install htop

Watch it and use the filter to separate out application use:

Here is ser2net viewing with htop

[ATTACH]62973[/ATTACH]

Here is owfs utilization:

[ATTACH]62974[/ATTACH]

Here is Domoticz utilization: (Domoticz is a LUA based automation program).

[ATTACH]62975[/ATTACH]
        Last edited by Pete; August 25, 2017, 06:56 PM.
        - Pete

Auto mator
        Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
        Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
        HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
        HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Working...
        X