Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looks like the app just updated and you can create an account now so the Roomba will work with Amazon echo. Not sure if this will help with this plugin or it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Not for 1.6.4?

Hi,

My 980 came with firmware 1.6.4 and hasn't shown any interest in updating itself (I got it about 2 days ago). It does work just fine with Dorita and Rest980, but the plug-in just doesn't seem to do anything at all. I create a new Roomba, enter the IP, username, password - just like in Dorita. The devices get created but seem to stick with default values (on dock, battery unknown, many values "not set"). I can click any button I want with no effect whatsoever.

Any ideas?

Cheers,
      Alex

Comment

Ok, ignore that. Literally minutes after I wrote this post my Roomba upgraded itself to 2.2.5-2 and all started working.

Great plugin, Blade!

Cheers,
        Alex

Originally posted by akurz View Post
        Hi,

My 980 came with firmware 1.6.4 and hasn't shown any interest in updating itself (I got it about 2 days ago). It does work just fine with Dorita and Rest980, but the plug-in just doesn't seem to do anything at all. I create a new Roomba, enter the IP, username, password - just like in Dorita. The devices get created but seem to stick with default values (on dock, battery unknown, many values "not set"). I can click any button I want with no effect whatsoever.

Any ideas?

Cheers,
        Alex

Comment

Birthday iRoomba980

Just setup a new 980 tonight .... Hope to see how this works

Comment

Heartbeat?

Hi,

I'm a very happy plugin user, but there's one thing that irks me occasionally: it seems that - especially when you're using the iRobot mobile app as well - the plugin sometimes drops the connection to the Roomba. There seems to be no indication of that connection loss other than stuff no longer working. A simple restart of the plugin solves the issue.

Would it be possible to include some kind of "Heartbeat" device that is updated every few minutes so that it's possible to set an event if it stops updating? It seems like the robot is quite chatty ("Log Roomba Messages to HomeSeer Log" seems to get a wifi status every 5 sec or so), so it shouldn't be too difficult to pick up a disconnect?

Obviously a "Connected" device showing Online/Offline would be even better - maybe even with an option to restart the plugin after a certain duration without connection.

Of course I could log messages to HS log and set an event on that, but I'm reluctant to do that because of log size and the fact that it would be very difficult to make any sense of the log with all the Roomba stuff flooding it.

Cheers,
            Alex

Comment

Correction: it doesn't seem to be related to the iRobot app - the connection breaks pretty much every day, even though I've uninstalled the app from all phones in the household. A plugin restart fixes the issue. This is a slight problem as it endangers wife-compatibility (I've got my Roomba integrated into Alexa, which my wife loves).

Seriously, I'd love to pay for the plugin if it could be extended with a connectivity check of some sort to make it more reliable. As a matter of fact I think you should charge for it anyway - it's brilliant.

Cheers,
              Alex

Hi,

I'm a very happy plugin user, but there's one thing that irks me occasionally: it seems that - especially when you're using the iRobot mobile app as well - the plugin sometimes drops the connection to the Roomba. There seems to be no indication of that connection loss other than stuff no longer working. A simple restart of the plugin solves the issue.

Would it be possible to include some kind of "Heartbeat" device that is updated every few minutes so that it's possible to set an event if it stops updating? It seems like the robot is quite chatty ("Log Roomba Messages to HomeSeer Log" seems to get a wifi status every 5 sec or so), so it shouldn't be too difficult to pick up a disconnect?

Obviously a "Connected" device showing Online/Offline would be even better - maybe even with an option to restart the plugin after a certain duration without connection.

Of course I could log messages to HS log and set an event on that, but I'm reluctant to do that because of log size and the fact that it would be very difficult to make any sense of the log with all the Roomba stuff flooding it.

Cheers,
              Alex

Comment

Blade:

I'll add to those that appreciate having this plugin. I wasn't sure how my wife would react to the robo-sweeper (Roomba 980), but it has been very well received!

I used dorita980 to get the password by our Roomba, and also helped a friend do the same for his. One little thing I did notice in trying to extract the password - it seems like you don't have much time after you press and hold the Home key; I know it failed (received all the other info, but no password) several times for me and my friend. So if your Roomba is any distance at all away from the computer you're running dorita980 on, I suggest you either move the Roomba close to you or have someone assist you by pressing da' button.

Regards,
                BBB

Comment

Right, this is a little worse than expected. As long as I leave the plugin alone - as in as long as I don't issue any commands - everything is stable so far. As soon as I start controlling my Roomba, things fall over quickly. For example "Clean" followed by "Stop" works, but comms stop after the "Stop" command has been submitted. A "Return to Base" doesn't work before I reload the plugin. So single commands are fine, but a number of commands in relatively quick succession kill the connection.

Cheers,
                  Alex

Correction: it doesn't seem to be related to the iRobot app - the connection breaks pretty much every day, even though I've uninstalled the app from all phones in the household. A plugin restart fixes the issue. This is a slight problem as it endangers wife-compatibility (I've got my Roomba integrated into Alexa, which my wife loves).

Seriously, I'd love to pay for the plugin if it could be extended with a connectivity check of some sort to make it more reliable. As a matter of fact I think you should charge for it anyway - it's brilliant.

Cheers,
                  Alex

Comment

wifi questions

Had the unit about 10 days and it works great....

iRobot 980
                    software is v2.2.5-2

Do need to set a static IP for this plugin to work?

dorita980/bin/getpassword.js does this still work?

Comment

Hi,

getpassword.js still works, but you need to be quick. The window to read the password after button press is relatively tight. If you don't make it within that window, the script delivers some data, but the password field is empty.

A static IP is definitely a good idea. Might work with host name as well, but I wouldn't risk it.

Cheers,
                      Alex

Originally posted by devoir View Post
                      Had the unit about 10 days and it works great....

iRobot 980
                      software is v2.2.5-2

Do need to set a static IP for this plugin to work?

dorita980/bin/getpassword.js does this still work?

Comment

Connection Loss

Hope you're coming back to this thread soon, Blade

Here's the conclusion of my testing:

- I've got a schedule set in HS that starts cleaning at night every day. This works fine. Cleaning starts, the Roomba does it's thing, returns to base and reports its status. Other status reports (bin removed, battery status etc.) work fine as well. As far as I can say this is all stable.

- Controlling the Roomba is where the problems start. I can submit a "Clean" and that works fine. If I then submit another command - no matter what it is - communication stops within a few seconds. A third command won't be heard by the Roomba anymore.

Examples:
                        Clean -> Stop -> Dead
                        Clean -> Return to Base -> Dead (the plugin actually reports on for about half a minute after the "Return to Base" command is issued and then dies)

Counter measures:
                        - Restart plugin. Works 90% of the times. Sometimes HS needs to be restarted completely to re-establish communications.

It would be good if the plugin could keep track of comms, which it does anyway, according to lastMessageReceived in the hspi_BLRoombaWifi.ini. The plugin just needs to try and re-establish comms when nothing is received in a certain duration.

Ideally the communication can be stabilized somehow as even a "fix comms when broken" will probably take a couple seconds, which is dangerous for the wife acceptance factor.

Cheers,
                        Alex

Comment

Yes I will be taking a look at this as soon time permits.

My daughter was just released from hospital a couple days ago after being there for 2 weeks so I have not had much time for anything
                          Cheers,
                          Bob
                          Web site | Help Desk | Feature Requests | Message Board

Comment

Hi Blade,

Totally understand and sorry to hear. I hope she's doing well?

Take all the time you need. There are priorities in life.

Cheers,
                            Alex

Originally posted by Blade View Post
                            Yes I will be taking a look at this as soon time permits.

My daughter was just released from hospital a couple days ago after being there for 2 weeks so I have not had much time for anything

Comment

Bob:

Our prayers and hope for a speedy recovery go out to your daughter.

Peace,
                              Paul

Comment

Thank you

I did post a new build of the plugin. See if it helps.
                                Cheers,
                                Bob
                                Web site | Help Desk | Feature Requests | Message Board

Comment

Working...
                                X