This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

xapmcsUPB - UPB xAP Node

xapmcsUPB is a connector that bridges the UPB powerline protocol to xAP on an IP interface. The xAP schema utilized is Basic Status and Control 1.3. It is installed at any location on a PC and will use subfolders to retain configuration information, UPStart export file, this document, and HTML formatting information.

The configuration of the UPB devices and their links is performed with the UPStart configuration software that is available via PCS and others that deal with UPB technology. The UPB configuration is exported from UPStart and becomes the input to xapmcsUPB. xapmcsUPB expects to see the file xapmcsUPB.upe in the subfolder \Data\xapmcsUPB at the time it is launched.

A typcial xAP BSC Message from xapmcsUPB:

xap-header
    {
    v=12
    hop=1
    uid=FF000202
    class=xAPBSC.info
    source=mcs.UPB.MCS6:xapmcsUPB_Road_Well_Mailbox_Open.UPB01-M01-C01_02.switch
    }
    input.state
    {
    state=ON
    }

Change Log
    --------------------
    PR1 1.3.28 Added Rocker/Button event notification
    PR2 1.3.28 Added BSC.Values
    PR3 1.3.32 Recompile to post current version
    PR4 1.3.33 Button module type error when reading UPStart export
    PR5 1.3.34 Added Lamp and Keypad logic
    PR6 1.3.36 Allow module to have no links
    PR7 1.3.37 Change names to replace space with underscore for xap compatibiltiy
    PR8 1.3.43 Add Rain8UPB support
    PR9 1.3.51 Update internal state based upon button press links
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Michael McSharry; December 3, 2006, 05:48 PM.

Browser interface to xapmcsUPB
    Attached Files

Comment

Michael,

I ordered all of the UPB devices I need for my home, today. I have some questions:

1) How do the UPB devices appear in HS 1.7?

2) Can you send some screen shots of HS 1.7?

3) Can CM11a and UPB xAP be on same (HS 1.7) computer?

4) Can I "map" UID of UPB to X10 HCDC?

Thanks,

Michael

Comment

1/2) Attached is my UMI module for which I brought the mailbox open, motion at the well and floodlight at the well into HS devices. These are the three with plugin device codes that show up on the browser as --. On the GUI they are ^16, ^18 and ^19.

3) Yes both can run at the same time on the same PC

4) Yes, I'll post screen shot on next message.
        Attached Files

Comment

This shows the xapmcsUPB setup and status page. Hopefully you can make out enough after it was reduced to 800 pixels.

The software reads the export of the UPStart configuration program that is provided via download from Simply Automated and other UPB suppliers. It then takes its best guess as to the devices and the scenes/groups that should be mapped into HS devices. All the names are from the export except those that are in blue. The blue ones are for a scripting interface that is only used when xapmcsUPB is a distributed computing node.

Notice that there is an X10 column. This is where you associate an UPB entity into an X10 device. The boxes that are blank are also available to Homeseer, but as plugin devices as you saw on the prior posting.

The bottom section is the editing form. It allows the "best guess" from the export file to be edited to provide the desired link and link action for a device's ON and OFF states. In my setup I wanted the entry and stair lights to snap to 100 when going ON and fade to 0 when going off. The default is to use the same rate for both ON and OFF and that is why the edit was done.

I have only the IO module and wall switch so that is the scope of what I implemented in the software. I can add more, but you will need to do the testing and provide the necessary information.

There are tradeoffs on how you setup the modules with UPStart. You should start with just a few items installed so you can get a feel of the setup and become comfortable with how it all fits together.
          Attached Files

Comment

Michael,

Please repost the xAP plugin. I am going to get started with it.

Thanks,

Michael

Comment

So is this the interface that will work with your connector:

http://www.automatedoutlet.com/produ...0&cat=0&page=2

Thanks
              Jesse
              HS: 2.5.0.60
              Environment: Virtual XP as guest in VMWare Server running under Win 7
              Plug-ins: MLHSPlugin|RCS Serial Thermostat|UltraLog|UltraMon|
              Misc: 303 Devices, 313 Events, 68+ Scripts

HSeer: 3.0.0.54
              Plug-ins: BLGData|BLRF|BLRadar|BLRandom|BLSpeech
              UltraM1G3|UltraECM3|UltraMon3|UPBSpud|Z-Wave
              Misc: 148 Devices, 116 Events, 9+ Scripts (so far, still converting)

Comment

That is the same one I obtained from the same AO source. I run mine behind a Lantronix EPS4 to give me IP connectivity to the serial interface. You can run it directly connected to a PC Com port.

You will want to download UPStart from SimplyAutomated.com. It is the software that is used to program the modules. I set my UPB net address up to be 01. It should not matter what you elect, but 01 is the one that I tested with and use.

Like I indicated to Michael in a related post, I have the IO and Switch modules. If you are going to use others I'm willing to add logic to support them, but the burden is on you for the testing. HS2 will have a UPB plugin that is now in beta test. I have no idea if they will use the UPStart export or how they associated module IDs and Links for Homeseer visibility and control.

Comment

COM ports aren't an issue, have an EdgePort, sow as long as your connector talks to the interface with a COM port, I'll go that route. Anyway, I'll probably take the UPB plunge, as you've seen my debate in the other thread. I had XAP up and running under v1 of HS, but haven't messed with it under v2. I disabled XAP under HS 2.0 as it got bit messy when I was running HS v1 and v2 at the same time.

Comment

James has published a HS2 version of his xAP Conduit. Give it a try. I've run mcsXap under HS2 for a simple compatibliy test, but I now only use HS2 to support the plugins that have migrated from HS1.

The first thing you will observe with UPB is the look and feel of a professional-grade set of hardware, software, and documentation. This is in contrast with the X10 stuff that looks as if came out of the vending machines at the arcade.

Comment

I definately agree with your statement, essentially you get what you pay for. When I started out in HA, six years ago roughly, I purchased all the cheap stuff. Most of it did make it past the first year. I still have a few cheap devices today, but those are the ones that need replaced, mostly for mechanical reasons. The last batch of stuff that I bought were the Switchlincs, which aren't bad, and put me near the price range of the UPBs. I still have numerous dead spots in the house, and I'm hoping UPB will resolve some of those issues as well. Now to go figure out what else I need to order. Initially, it will just be more light switches, you can never have enough :-)

Originally posted by Michael McSharry
                      James has published a HS2 version of his xAP Conduit. Give it a try. I've run mcsXap under HS2 for a simple compatibliy test, but I now only use HS2 to support the plugins that have migrated from HS1.

The first thing you will observe with UPB is the look and feel of a professional-grade set of hardware, software, and documentation. This is in contrast with the X10 stuff that looks as if came out of the vending machines at the arcade.

Comment

Ok, I give up, I can't seem to get my device to show up on the xapmcsUPB status page. My device does display in UPStart and I can control it. I've done the export and placed it into the appropriate directory. One problem is that the user guide for UPStart appears to be missing on their web page, so I assume I've taken the proper steps to set the device up. Also, I'm using 4.2 of UPStart and you mention 5? Anyway, if I place your .upe file in, I see your devices, if I place mine in, nothing.

The contents of my upe file is below:
                        2,1,Link001
                        3,1,1,4,22,2,10,2,1,1,16,Master Bedroom,Main Lights,1

Edit: Ah, I see where you got the file version, looks like mine is correct.
                        Last edited by jstaab; August 27, 2005, 11:13 AM.

Comment

Two things are going on here. The first is that when I import I look for links associated with a module. If there are no links then the module is not activated. You system has Link #1 - Link001 defined, but not used anywhere. The concept of my design is that I want to program the module's default behavior via a Link and this link with be activated and deactivated by default. That means that each module needs to have at least one link defined so the default behavior will exist.

I edited the export file to add it as the first of 16 commands accepted by the module that you have.

PHP Code:
                          ,1,Link001
                          ,1,1,4,22,2,10,2,1,1,16,Master Bedroom,Main Lights,1

The second is that when I started the software design I allocated the 1 to 127 for module IDs and 128 to 255 for Link IDs. You will notice that in my file all the links have higher numbers while your link is "1". As I learned more about the UPB and UPStart I no longer needed to have this convention. I saw where the import was still using it so I updated to accept the full range of link IDs. The update is posted as V1.3.7

Comment

Hm, guess this is where the manual for UPStart would come in handy. I'll see if I can figure out how to 'use' the Link :-) Thanks for the update. I'll work on this later today and see how far I get.

Comment

Click on the Module Icon, right click Edit
                              Receive Components Tab
                              For a new link, Use the Open Llink Name Table button to create a new one
                              In row 01 select a link name and define its Level and Fade rate. I use default for Fade Rate
                              If you want alternate behaviors to be controlled then define a link in rows 02 to 15 for each behavior. Note the same link name can be used for different modules and each module can have a different behavior for that link. This is the "scenes" effect.

When defining link and module names you should be aware of how they are used by xapmcsUPB for display purposes. Link names that are used by multiple modules have the assigned link name. Those that are used by only one will have the module room, name, and link name so they can be long. You will need to play with naming to get the desired effect. When it gets into Homeseer you then have the opportunity to rename using Homeseer conventions.

The transmit components define the behavior of the local switch. These are not used by xapmcsUPB. When a rocker is used, then any change in the module's status resulting from the rocker action is communicated back over theh powerline and the new status updated by xapmcsUPB locally and network-wide via xAP.

Comment

Working...
                              X