No announcement yet.

DS10a / Doorbell Interfacing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Your magnet switch may not be close enough to the coil. The DS10a actually responds very quickly. For mine I attached a relay across the coil and tied the DS10a leads directly to the relay. It's been 100% reliable even when the UPS guy does his famous 2ms ring.
    HS Pro 3.0 | Linux Ubuntu 16.04 x64 virtualized under Proxmox (KVM)
    Hardware: Z-NET - W800 Serial - Digi PortServer TS/8 and TS/16 serial to Ethernet - Insteon PLM - RFXCOM - X10 Wireless
    Plugins: HSTouch iOS and Android, RFXCOM, BlueIris, BLLock, BLDSC, BLRF, Insteon PLM (MNSandler), Device History, Ecobee, BLRing, Kodi, UltraWeatherWU3
    Second home: Zee S2 with Z-Wave, CT101 Z-Wave Thermostat, Aeotec Z-Wave microswitches, HSM200 occupancy sensor, Ecolink Z-Wave door sensors, STI Driveway Monitor interfaced to Zee S2 GPIO pins.

Comment

Reid,

Could you explain more? I'm not familiar with what to do in this case.

Comment

What I did was connect the contacts of a 24VAC SPDT relay to the wires that drive the coil. This way when the doorbell button is pressed it energizes both the doorbell coil and the relay. I then unscrewed the magnet switch from the DS10a (you won't need it) and connected the leads directly to the dry contact terminals of the relay. I connected the DS10a to the normally closed side of the relay, so when the bell rings, it energizes the relay, breaking the connection across the dry contacts. This way the doorbell shows up as Normal status and Alert when it rings. Note that I think most doorbells run off a 16VAC transformer. It was easier for me to find a 24VAC relay and swap out the transformer with a spare 24V one I had laying around than it was to find a 16VAC relay.

I've attached a couple of pictures to help illustrate.
        Attached Files
        Hardware: Z-NET - W800 Serial - Digi PortServer TS/8 and TS/16 serial to Ethernet - Insteon PLM - RFXCOM - X10 Wireless
        Plugins: HSTouch iOS and Android, RFXCOM, BlueIris, BLLock, BLDSC, BLRF, Insteon PLM (MNSandler), Device History, Ecobee, BLRing, Kodi, UltraWeatherWU3
        Second home: Zee S2 with Z-Wave, CT101 Z-Wave Thermostat, Aeotec Z-Wave microswitches, HSM200 occupancy sensor, Ecolink Z-Wave door sensors, STI Driveway Monitor interfaced to Zee S2 GPIO pins.

Comment

What is the "typical" voltage for a door bell for us non electronic types?
          💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

From what I've seen in the US most doorbells operate off a 16 volt AC transformer. I decided to replace mine with a spare 24V AC transformer I had from an irrigation project and use an easier to find 24V relay. I also have the added benefit of my doorbell being slightly louder now.

Comment

How much is the relay?

Comment

So will the 16v or the 24v from the doorbell through the relay fry the ds10?

Comment

Originally posted by afmiller View Post
                  So will the 16v or the 24v from the doorbell through the relay fry the ds10?
                  No, but you need to know which relay to get.

Comment

So basically I'll need a multimeter to figure out the voltage.

Comment

Found a sticker on the cover that says 10-16v

Comment

Rupp, I went to home depot and talked with them. I mentioned what Reid did and he said that using the relay wouldnt reduce the power to the ds10. My question is, if the power doesn't get reduced from 16v, how will it burn out the ds10? The guy told me to just basically hook up the wires to the transformer wires and said it should work.

Comment

The guys at Home Depot didn't know what they were taking about. I'm not very knowledgeable in the electronics arena but I do know that a relay takes one voltage and creates a closed contact circuit. The two circuits are isolated.
                          http://pcbheaven.com/wikipages/How_Relays_Work/

Comment

If your voltage is 10-16 volts, then use a 12V relay. I am assuming your power supply is AC (never seen a doorbell that wasn't), but make sure you get an AC relay if your supply is AC, otherwise it will buzz and make many very fast connections / disconnections.

Don't worry too much about matching the relay voltage exactly to the transformer. You won't hurt the relay by slightly over or under driving it. Under-driving it too much though can lead to unreliable contact closures. Overdriving it too much can burn out the relay. You won't hurt the DS10a in either case.

A relay simply closes (or opens) a switch when power is applied to it, so there is no electrical connection at all between the doorbell and the DS10a. With the relay method you don't have to worry about frying your DS10a. In theory it is possible for the relay coil to draw power from the doorbell coil and reduce the doorbell strike power or the relay power, but it's unlikely.

Find a good 12V AC SPDT relay, connect the relay coil in parallel with the doorbell coil, and then connect the DS10a wires to the common and normally closed contacts on the relay. That's all you have to do.

reid

Comment

Kk, will get the stuff on Monday, HD doesn't have the stuff.

Comment

I thought perhaps Radio Shack might have something, but I've checked and it seems they only carry DC relays. There was a time you could find anything there.
                                All my other sources want a minimum quatity for 50 (do you know 49 people who need this?)

Finally, I turned to eBay. This one will work for you if you decide to take the relay route. It's 4-pole but don't worry about that.
                                http://www.ebay.com/itm/Guardian-Plu...item483904d9c2

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Potter-Brumf...item2c59d1b61f (cheaper with shipping in)

I really don't understand why the DS10 wouldn't respond with the reed switch next to the coil, unless you have a rather slow DS-10 (switch position should be at "Min"?). Did you try various positions? Up against the coil is best as in Rupp's picture earlier. Would it be possible to post a picture of the doorbell?

I know it's already been mentioned, but the one thing you DON'T want to do is connect the DS10 directly to the door bell voltage.
                                Last edited by Wadenut; December 17, 2011, 07:31 PM.
                                Real courage is not securing your Wi-Fi network.

Comment

Working...
                                X