Virtualization for Dummies: What to do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pete View Post
    Another device which works is the Digi Anywhere USB device (two Digi USB to RS-232 8 port boxes to one DigiAnywhere box). This like the Quantech found on Ebay at a fraction of the cost or original.
    Yeah, I've seen that the Digi AnywhereUSB is highly recommended for virtualization (just google "usb over IP" + virtualization and you'll see).

However, just like the Quatech RS-232 device you need luck to find them reasonable priced on eBay...
    The good news is that it's rather easy to be lucky if you just search from time to time.

I was lucky with the Quatech, but unlucky with the AnywhereUSB device.
    HSPro 3.0.0.458, Z-NET with Z-wave plugin 3.0.1.190, RFXCOM + 2x RFXtrx433E, HSTouch, Squeezebox plugin, iTach IP/WF2IR & GC-100-6 with UltraGCIR, BLDenon, NetcamStudio, Jon00s Webpage builder, Harmony Hub plugin, SCSIP (with FreePBX), Arduino plugin, IFTTT, Pushalot plugin, Device History plugin.
    Running on Windows 10 (64) virtualized
    on ESXi (Fujitsu Primergy TX150 S8).
    WinSeer (for Win10) - TextSeer - FitbitSeer - HSPI_MoskusSample

Are you Norwegian (or Scandinavian) and getting started with HomeSeer? Read the "HomeSeer School"!

Comment

Originally posted by jackpod View Post
      Thanks for the tip on the Aviosys IP9100a plus, I just might have to pick one up. video is one area I never got into with my HS system, but this device looks like the ticket
      One trick I just learned is that it's not a good idea to mix PAL and NTSC cameras. This was not a problem with my PCI card as it has a separate capture chip for each channel. The IP9100a does not, just so you know.

In practice this only hurts your frame rate, especially if you use the Yoics firmware.

That aside, it's really a good unit for the price.
      HSPro 3.0.0.458, Z-NET with Z-wave plugin 3.0.1.190, RFXCOM + 2x RFXtrx433E, HSTouch, Squeezebox plugin, iTach IP/WF2IR & GC-100-6 with UltraGCIR, BLDenon, NetcamStudio, Jon00s Webpage builder, Harmony Hub plugin, SCSIP (with FreePBX), Arduino plugin, IFTTT, Pushalot plugin, Device History plugin.

Are you Norwegian (or Scandinavian) and getting started with HomeSeer? Read the "HomeSeer School"!

Comment

I believe somewhere here I still have the Aviosys IPKam camera that was sold with a similiar OS to your 9100. It didn't break like the Foscam OS under stress.
        - Pete

Auto mator
        Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
        Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
        HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
        HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Originally posted by Moskus View Post
          Yeah, I've seen that the Digi AnywhereUSB is highly recommended for virtualization (just google "usb over IP" + virtualization and you'll see).

However, just like the Quatech RS-232 device you need luck to find them reasonable priced on eBay...
          The good news is that it's rather easy to be lucky if you just search from time to time.

I was lucky with the Quatech, but unlucky with the AnywhereUSB device.
          Most of the USB IP servers are more expensive ($50+ typically). Does anyone know if the Digi AnywhereUSB works with the Way2Call? I have a Lantronix UBox and the Digi Edgeport Serial to USB. I like the Digi but it doesn't play well with the Ubox (won't showup upon PC reboot - needs to be unplugged and plugged back in), but the Way2Call works fine. If the W2C works with the Digi AnywhereUSB, perhaps I might have better luck with the Digi Edgeport connected to it?

Comment

Originally posted by heatvent View Post
            . Does anyone know if the digi anywhereusb works with the way2call?
            No
            -Mike-

-Home automation powered by the wind and sun-
            Zotac 9300g-Q9400s-4gb ram-Intel 120 SSD-MS XP
            HS 2.5.0.20, BLlan,BLweather,MCSXap,Jon00 graphing,Jon00 Whois,Snevl/Ten WeatherAlerts
            W2c,Ztroller,z-wave+18,Q100D's,Silex 3000gb
            Zoneminder 1.24.2 - Ubuntu 11.04 x64 on top of Xenserve
            Zoneminder 1.24.2 - Ubuntu 11.04 x64 Zotac D525 atom

Comment

Update!

When everything is running smooth, I'll try to move it to a virtual machine.

sweet.. hopefully everything is working good for ya...

i just got esx 4.1i up and running..... got 3 vms running in a test environment... but im not moving HS into it anytime soon... although i do not have many serial devices (w800, 433 rfx, brultech, ztroller, concord 4) im gonna wait a while as the pci cctv is what held me up... but hopefully that device works for ya...

i got 1 camera setup.. not exactly where it needs to go.. i got to get 1 more camera ran.... buy another camera and run it.... then get it all working.... im looking at 4-8 cameras.... but if that solution works in a vm.. im gonna have to check it out after xmas (when funds loosen up)...
              HW - i5 4570T @2.9ghz runs @11w | 8gb ram | 128gb ssd OS - Win10 x64

HS - HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435

Plugins - BLRF 2.0.94.0 | Concord 4 3.1.13.10 | HSBuddy 3.9.605.5 | HSTouch Server 3.0.0.68 | RFXCOM 30.0.0.36 | X10 3.0.0.36 | Z-Wave 3.0.1.190

Hardware - EdgePort/4 DB9 Serial | RFXCOM 433MHz USB Transceiver | Superbus 2000 for Concord 4 | TI103 X-10 Interface | WGL Designs W800 RF | Z-Net Z-Wave Interface

Comment

just found this.. dont know if you saw it...

http://www.digidave.co.uk/setup_guid...a_network.html

Plugins - BLRF 2.0.94.0 | Concord 4 3.1.13.10 | HSBuddy 3.9.605.5 | HSTouch Server 3.0.0.68 | RFXCOM 30.0.0.36 | X10 3.0.0.36 | Z-Wave 3.0.1.190

Hardware - EdgePort/4 DB9 Serial | RFXCOM 433MHz USB Transceiver | Superbus 2000 for Concord 4 | TI103 X-10 Interface | WGL Designs W800 RF | Z-Net Z-Wave Interface

Comment

My initial test with the new HW and Virtualization was putting all 18 ports on the network with the Digi plus two Digi USB to serial boxes. W2C didn't work so I purchased the Lantronics a few weeks back based on your recommendation that it worked with the W2C.

I'm been using the Quatechs for testing "stuff". One test is a new GPS "test" board. Its very nice with USB, BT and a Serial port. It works well over the Quatech box. Another Quatech is connected to a couple of 1-Wire devices connecting remotly to one Server and the server is running XAP and send the data over to HS. Like three pieces to it and working well with the 1-Wire stuff.
                  - Pete

Auto mator
                  Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
                  Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
                  HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
                  HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Originally posted by TeleFragger View Post
                    just found this.. dont know if you saw it...
                    http://www.digidave.co.uk/setup_guid...a_network.html
                    Thanks, didn't see that.
                    Configuring the IP9100 was a walk in the park. Got the IP from the router/DHCP server, entered in a browser and set the IP to a fixed value. Very easy.

Comment

Thanks, didn't see that.
                      Configuring the IP9100 was a walk in the park. Got the IP from the router/DHCP server, entered in a browser and set the IP to a fixed value. Very easy.
                      i notice it is 640x480... can you post some pics??? ill post one of my 320x240's.. that is my gripe right now..
                      but you hooked me up with a card to work with whs.... so i appreciate that.. now i have to get cameras and hook them up... then worry bout virtualization later...

Comment

I don't use 640x480, but I'll grab an image for you later. Here's a 320x240 shot:
                        Attached Files

Comment

I don't use 640x480, but I'll grab an image for you later. Here's a 320x240 shot:

here are mine.. now i see webcamxp will do 640x480.. it just stretches the pic... ewwwwwwwwwww

i have to turn the camera.. not facing where i want it.. i just ran the wire and hooked it up.. my neighbor who has cameras.. said im trying to get too much with it.. so move it forward and turn more towards house walkway...
                          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by TeleFragger View Post
                            here are mine.. now i see webcamxp will do 640x480.. it just stretches the pic... ewwwwwwwwwww
                            It just stretches the camera IF the capture card does NOT support 640x480. Also, adjust the picture size in the program, not the webpage.
                            Last edited by Moskus; November 12, 2010, 04:06 AM.

Comment

Here's some captures from the IP9100a_plus. As you see, the IP9100 also just stretches a 320x240 image to 640x480. But the 352x288 looks pretty good. Perhaps I'll switch to that.
                              Attached Files

Comment

And I have to tell you about Ultrajones plugin for Global Cache IR devices, which works beautifully with the Global Cache WF2IR.

The device is a tiny littel thing which, after all, is easy to use and program. And Ultrajones' plugin works great.

Comment

Working...
                                X