Homemanageables HM-DW001 for doorbell

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Homemanageables HM-DW001 for doorbell

has anyone used a HM-DW001 door sensor for a doorbell sensor? I have seen the post for the x10 relay sensor, but i do not have any x10 devices in my house so i would rather use a zwave device to monitor my door bell. Just wondering if anyone has any recommendation on how to do this or if they have done it in the past.

Thanks for the help

Drabbies

You can use an Elk-930 Doorbell Detector wired into the HM-DW001. I am currently using an Insteon I/O Linc in place of an HM-DW001, but now that you mention it, I could replace it and remove another Insteon device.
    Mike

Comment

would this be the correct wiring for it?

http://www.hometech.com/pdf/el-930.pdf

i still need to track down the wires to splice, but knowing how to connect it would probably be a great headstart.

Comment

Yes that's the correct wiring. FYI I like this interface because it still allows the light on the doorbell switch to be illuminated. Prior to this detector I simply used a 24ac relay which didn't keep the light on the switch illuminated.
        Mike

Comment

I remember Rupp doing something just like this using just one device.
          Transitioning to HS3Pro .298 - WinXPEmbedded

Hometroller S3 Pro - WinXPEmbedded - HSP 2.5.0.81 - BLStat - HSPhone - HSTouch Srvr 1.0.0.73 - Touchpad - BLLan - BLOccupied - DSC Plug 2.0.0.14 - BLStat .38

Comment

I would be interested in how you accomplish this with the Z-wave device as well, I have been planning to use an X-10 DS10 module spliced into the doorbell wiring to do this. Doorbell rings, DS10 closes and you can trigger HS events off that and so forth.

Comment

Here's the thread explaining how I used a DS10A with the door bell.
              http://board.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=131631
              💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

I tried using the Homemanageables HM-DW001 hooked into the Elk 930... no luck

The problem was that the doorbell circuit is normally open and there is a quick push to close the circuit and ring the bell. The HM-DW001 is very slow to respond to closing and the doorbell button needs to be held in almost a second to register. Its does react much faster when going from a closed position to open, nearly instant and probably fast enough to catch the doorbell. But that would mean adding another relay to this already convoluted idea.

ALso, note that if anyone wants to use the ELK930 and have three door chimes, there is not enough current passed through the ELk to power all the chimes and they sound dead. I suppose two might work, but didnt try it.

Comment

I used Rupp's schematic and inserted the Z-wave devices. Had the same issue with the timing being to fast had to insert relays to capture the doorbell ring.. I had separate devices for the 2 doorbells. Attached pics, we are in the process of building a new home so made it portable.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Very nice work. Which relays did you use?

I still have the problem of not getting enough juice through the Elk 930 modules to run three chimes. I have front and back door push-buttons and three chimes. When I push the front door button, all is well with the usual "ding-dong" chime. But when I push the back door button, a feable weak "ding" comes out. I had to purchase a larger watt transformer to handle all three chimes, craftmade t1630, which has 30 watts. http://www.amazon.com/Craftmade-T163.../dp/B001R5UU0W I might email Elk and see if they have any answers.

Edit: I can see the Elk 960 relays now that I look. I sent an email to Elk concerning the power issue.
                    Last edited by prsmith777; May 24, 2011, 08:48 AM.

Comment

What are the resistors for in the pics? Or are they diodes?

What schematics are you talking about of Rupps? Ive searched but havent found any schematics on this board. Is it this one?
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by prsmith777; May 24, 2011, 10:24 PM.

Comment

That schematic is correct and yes they are diodes, as indicated in the schematic.

Got me wondering now maybe I used this schematic, and it was Rupp's project pics that got me started using the DS10's in place of the HM-DW001's.

Comment

Really glad I found this post... I am just about to try the ELK-930 connected directly to the Everspring SM103-1.

Has anyone tried this? I am hoping I don't need the ELK-960 relay.

Comment

Originally posted by chrisgo View Post
                            Really glad I found this post... I am just about to try the ELK-930 connected directly to the Everspring SM103-1.

Has anyone tried this? I am hoping I don't need the ELK-960 relay.
                            Yes you will need the relays for it to work. I tried without and unless someone holds down the doorbell button for over a second, it wont work.

Comment

Thanks for the repsonse.

I don't supposed anyone has found a 16VAC (doorbell transformer) to 12VDC (Elk-960 relay) transformer? I am trying to avoid another 110V transformer if possible.

Comment

Working...
                              X