mcsTemperature HS2 Install Instructions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stumped on a 5.13.05 install

I decided to migrate my HS over to a bigger/better server, but have run into a snag with the mcstemp install. I've had HS2 and mcstemp stable for a long time on the previous system, but something seems to be messing up the last stages of the install with these new releases.

Environment: Windows XP Pro Workstation SP2 32-bit
    HS Version: 2.3.019
    mcsTemperature 5.13.0.5
    Fresh install of OS, HS, and mcstemp

Steps to this point:
    * HS installed and started fine.
    * Used HS Updater to pull down mcstemperature. HS Logfile shows "Update hspi_mcsTemperature.exe downloaded successfully.
    * Shut down & re-started HS. Log file shows update being installed:
    Applying update: mcsTemperature
    Executing installer: C:\Program Files\HomeSeer HS2\updates2\mcsTemperature5.13.0.5\setup_mcsTemperature.exe
    Copying file: C:\Program Files\HomeSeer HS2\Config\mcsTemperature.lf

(no errors or warnings)

At this point, I would expect to see mcstemp somewhwere in Setup/Interfaces/Plug-In Interfaces probably with a "Disabled" setting per the documentation. It's not there, even after stop/start of HS.

I double-checked to see where the executable and license file ended up. "hspi_mcsTemperature" is in C:\Program Files\Homeseer 2", and the inital license file "mcsTemperature.lf" is in "C:\Program Files\HomeSeer HS2\Config"

I've scanned the forum and read the docs; did I miss something obvious? Is there some way I coerce HS into registering this plugin?

Thanks!

Comment

Note HS is installed in Homeseer HS2 while mcsTemperature is installed in Homeseer 2. HST changed the default install path recently. You should uninstall mcsTemperature using Windows Add/Remove programs. Redo the update from the updater and enter the install path text box to be the corrrect one where HS is now located.

Comment

thanks; that did it!

Comment

Several DS9097 with MCS Temperature possible?

Hi,

Newbee, but tried to find answers from manuals / this forum / www w/o success

It looks that 230V will be done with X10, but temp. measurement / datalogging seems to be a limitation for that system. Also Z-wave seems to be too expensive here in EU.

So it looks that I will have several places in my house where I should use 1-wire (looks like 3 locations). DS9097U seems to be most flex option (and easily avail.), but extra wiring (even 1-wire) is not easy.

As LAN already avail. in near measurement places, I am considering to use LAN-COM converter (looks like standard CON in XP) and normal COM-1wire converter and your plug-in as data logger e.g.:
          - http://www.audon.co.uk/enet100.html and
          - http://elektroniikka.org/thermometer/bin/DS9097U.pdf

Can I manage several DS9097Us/COMs with MCSTemperature + HS2 .

Comment

I have found the best temperature sensors to be the rfxcom range, which are a Europe made product. i use mcstemp to do some of my processing though you really need the rfxcom plugin as well to manage the rfxcom devices

Comment

Windows7 Install challenge

I am upgrading from 1.7 to HS2 on a brand new Windows7 machine. The windows7 install in fresh with nothing else installed. Loaded HS2 ver 2.4.0.1 from the HS website. Start Hs2 and then used the "Updater" to get mcsTemperature plugin. Install goes OK. Enabled on the Setup-interfaces page. Restart HS2. The mcsTemperature menu appears OK. Can't get the "setup form" drop down to do anything so I can setup my sensors, etc. the other drop downs do start an IE session OK.

Thanks for any help, thom (early adopter of the Temp05 then Temp08 system with mcsTemperature plugin)

Comment

The form-based setup appears and is usually hidden behind other windows on the screen. This method of setup has not be very well maintained and the browser-based setup pages are what should be used for the setup.

Comment

didn't see any Browser Pages that will add sensors??

did I miss something??

Comment

It is the "Sensors" page. This replaces the Analog and Discrete tabs of the setup form. It can be reached from the HS screen where the log is displayed under the mcsTemperature menu item

Comment

Still not right on Windows7. Move database from a 1.7 machine??

I cannot get the "setup form" to open on the Windows7 machine. I have looked everywhere and it does not appear. Maybe something in the Windows7 environment that is preventing it from opening??

I have a large number of temp05/temp08 sensors in HS 1.7. I will re-enter if I need to in HS2, but would it be as simple as copying the database over from to old to the new machine? I am able to get the browser "sensors" page to open.

I use the mcsTemperature application for a number of things like;
                      Monitoring my refrigerators and freezers (got emailed when one of the doors didn't get shut)
                      Operating condition and control of my underfloor hydronic heating system.
                      Garage and shed door sensors
                      External operating temperatures of my HS servers
                      Temperature monitoring and control of the SPA
                      LED Energy monitor displays (3) using the WIO unit from Midon design.

mcsTemperature is the mainstay of my automation efforts. Thanks for producing it, thom

Comment

Another user was blocked until they manually installed Chart Director before starting HS. I would suggest idoing the same thing. It is the ASP/COM version at http://www.advsofteng.com/download.html

There should be no difference of operation between 1.7 and 2.x so if you maintain the same file paths then you can copy from old to new computer. If you change the file paths then you likely will need to change the path to the database tables. Of course you first need to get access to the setup pages.

I have not run Windows 7, but I have not heard of any compatibility issues.

Comment

I am having this problem on Windows 7 with version 2.4.0.1 of HS and version 6.0.7 of mcsTemperature as well. I re-installed the plugin and re-installed Chart Director. When I chose "Setup Form" from the mcsTemperature menu, I neither get a window nor an error.

Steven.

Comment

The form for setup is just a legacy from the HS1 days. It really has not been well maintained. The Interfaces, Sensor, etc pages are what should be used to do the setup as these are more in line with the HS2 browser UI

Comment

Then I guess that I am just dense. I was hoping to use mcsTemperature to graphs the temperatures from several HSM100s. I see in the docs that I must fill in the "DC" and "DB" Field fields, but it does not explain what those are. I see references to copying values to virtual devices, but I am not making the connection on how to do that. mcsTemperature also seems to have more of an ability to set off actions based on temperature. However, it appears that you need to have the correct sensor defined. Is this really the plugin that I want. If so, is there a more tailored directions for what I want to do?

Comment

The DC field is the Homeseer Device Code associated with each of your HSM100 properties. There should be a device code assigned by HS for the temperature reading produced by this sensor. It may be something like "[3" as an example. You will see it on the Devices/Status page that is the default page when HS starts.

The DB Field is the name that will used in the database to identify the data saved from the sensor. It is there to make it easier for some users to use the database data for other purposes. For you just use a simple name, starting with an alpha character, no special characters or spaces. For example, "t3" would work.

mcsTemperature is listed as a multi-function plugin as it has many capabilites, most of which no individual will use. If your objective is saving and charting data then mcsTemperature should satisify your objectives.

On the Interface setup page you need to identify that you will want to Transfer virtual devices to the database at some interval. This is a checkbox and textbox to make these two selections. For example, enable the checkbox and select 5 so it will take a snapshot every 5 minutes.

On the Sensors setup page enter a line for each sensor (virtual device) that you may want to chart. In the example that was used this will be [3 and t3 in the DC and DB Field entries for the row. You sensor type will default to Temperature and this type selection is used to label the Y axis of the chart. The Name column entry is used to give the sensor a name that is shown in the chart legend.

To view the chart you need to define a group that selects the items to be on the same chart. You will also need to wait some number of minutes so you will have a few samples of data collected in the database. The Groups page starts with the group name of Default. Edit that text box to give it another name such as "HSM100". While various chart types can be selected I suggest using LinSel as this will give you both tabular and chart data. You will see the sensor name that you entered on the Sensors page on one row. Put a checkbox on the Show and Draw columns. Click the Update button which will likely still be labeled as "Update Default". Select the "To Graphs" button to view the chart.

You will now see the "HSM100" group name appear with the other mcsTemperature links at the top of the page. You can click it to go directly to the chart. If you leave the browser page open then mcsTemperature will refresh just the graph every minute or so. If you want to customize the appearance of the chart then go to the Display link.

Comment

Working...
                                X