www.homeseer.com    

Go Back   HomeSeer Message Board > Wireless Receiver & Transceiver Plug-ins > Wireless Receiver & Transceiver Discussion

Old November 12th, 2016, 07:53 PM
Insteon Overlord

What's the usable range of the RFXrec433 inside

I'm interested in using this receiver with wireless sensors around the house. My homeseer server is in the basement.

My alarm panel which uses 315Mhz is located in the basement as well, and i have no problem with any of the wireless window/door sensors.

Will the 433.92 Mhz signal from the temp sensors reach two floors down, or from several rooms to the left or right of center?

HS3 Pro 3.0.0.368
Hardware: Insteon Serial PLM | Vista Alarm 20P with AD2USB | HAI Omnistat2 | 1-Wire HA7E | RFXrec433 | Dahua Cameras | LiftMaster Internet Gateway
Plugins: Insteon 3.0.6.10 (mine) | Vista Alarm (mine) | Omnistat 3 (by Kirby) | Ultra1Wire | RFXCOM | NetCAM | MyQ | BLRadar | Jon00 Charting
Platform: HP h8-1360t, Windows Server 2012 R2, i7-3.4GHz, 16GB memory
Old November 12th, 2016, 11:29 PM
Seer Deluxe

I have 8 Oregon Temp/Hum sensors throughout my home (3600 sq foot / 2 story)... I have them in the attic, garage and each bedroom and common space. Most are going through several walls and a floor or ceiling.While I do have very occasional non-comm alerts, they never miss more than a beat or two before successfully reporting in.
Old November 13th, 2016, 09:33 AM
OverSeer

Same here, in a 3500sqft 3 story house.The 433MHz antenna is in the attic and I never experienced a problem. However, I'm not sure it would work the other way around, with the antenna in the basement.
Old November 13th, 2016, 10:48 AM
Seer Deluxe

Here we have a solid red brick house, OS weather station on the roof and sensors around the house, even in the freezer. All was well until we added the pool sensor out in the back yard. I bought a remote antenna on a 6 foot cable and mounted it outside of the computer room wall. I still get an excellent signal thru all the walls to the kitchen and into the freezer (the farthest sensor) and the pool sensor gets a good signal now too

HomeSeer: HS3 Pro 3.0.0.318
Hometroller S6 | Devices: 539 | Events: 176
Plug-Ins: Z-Wave .130 | HSTouch | RFXCOM | UltraRachio3 | BLLAN | NetCAM | Global Cache Pro Sonos

Last edited by BlairG; November 13th, 2016 at 11:22 AM.
Old November 13th, 2016, 03:50 PM
OverSeer

My experience is similar as the other posters, but I have mine on the main level in a two story house with a basement. I can pick up sensors from anywhere in the house, the garage and the back deck.

Cheers
Al
UltraGCIR GC-100|UltraNetcam|UltraPioneer|Ultra1Wire|DSC PC1832|BLLED|BLTVGuide|ImperiHome|jon00 Utilities|MySensors

PHLocation|X10 CM11A IOLinc,etc
Old November 14th, 2016, 09:30 AM
Insteon Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlairG View Post
Here we have a solid red brick house, OS weather station on the roof and sensors around the house, even in the freezer. All was well until we added the pool sensor out in the back yard. I bought a remote antenna on a 6 foot cable and mounted it outside of the computer room wall. I still get an excellent signal thru all the walls to the kitchen and into the freezer (the farthest sensor) and the pool sensor gets a good signal now too
can you provide a link of the remote antenna you bought
Old November 14th, 2016, 09:40 AM
OverSeer

Here is the link to the 433MHz antenna I have been using for years. It's in the accessory section.
http://www.wgldesigns.com/w800.html

Double check with them for the right version (433 or 310MHz) because they are different.
Old December 3rd, 2017, 08:32 PM
Seer

I have the older RFXCom 433.92 MHz receiver (the black one) and the newer RFX433 receiver. I purchased the newer one when I upgraded to HS3 because I was not aware that the RFXCom plugin supported the older receiver. BLRF only supports the newer receiver. From my experience the older RFXCom receiver works much better but it's not because the newer receiver is worse. Looking at my Oregon sensors on a receiver with a spectrum display reveals that the Oregon transmitters are all over the place in frequency. I am suspecting the older RFXCom receiver is wider and more tolerant of off-frequency signals. I suspect the newer receiver is better and tighter but ignores some of the Oregon transmitters that are off frequency. I had the exact same experience with the WGL-800 series receivers which worked better for me receiving X10 RF signals than the RFXCom 310 MHz receiver. Again, my X10 devices were all over the place in frequency. I think the WGL receivers were wider and the RFXCom receiver was too tight for the cheap X10 transmitters. Just my opinion and a reflection of my real-world experience.
-Rick