Multiple Z-Nets & one HomeID

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Multiple Z-Nets & one HomeID

I have the opportunity to set up automation in a 7000 sq/ft office/warehouse and figure I'd need about 4 Z-nets to give adequate coverage.

I wanted to try what I'd read about multiple Z-nets working as primary and secondary controllers on one Home ID network

Today I configured the S6 automation controller and 4 Z-Nets, it's been a bit of a Hot Topic of discussion so I wanted to take some screen shots and post it to share with the forum.

Here are some shots of how the system configured.

Controllers, as you can see there is only one Z-Net network running
    The 2nd 3rd and 4th Z-nets were added as Inclusion networks.
    You have to add it first as a regular Z-net,
    then under activities there is an option to make it a secondary inclusion controller

Click image for larger version

Name:	CONTROLLERS.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	45.9 KB
ID:	1212358

Device Manager, the 4 Z-nets show up in the device manager all on the same network

Name:	DEvMgr.JPG
Size:	45.3 KB
ID:	1212359

Device Z-Wave Tab has a new option to select which remote interface controller to use

Name:	DEVICE.JPG
Size:	30.8 KB
ID:	1212360

After Inclusion of Node 5 (a jasco switch), check out the automatic updating of all the controllers.

Name:	UPDATE.JPG
Size:	50.6 KB
ID:	1212361

So lets see how it goes from here, right now I have 4 Z-nets with a green light "On".

When installing new devices to the network it can all be done in the tech room using the Main Znet (primary) and the device information will be updated out to the secondary controllers.

I will come back to this post and add more as the project develops.
    Blair

HomeSeer: HS3 Pro | Blue-Iris 4 on Windows10Pro
    | Devices: 832 | Events: 211 |
    Plug-Ins: Z-Wave | RFXCOM | UltraRachio3 | Sonos
    BLLAN | BLLOCK | NetCAM | Global Cache Pro | Blue-Iris4

Super helpful. I'm coming back to HS after a few years with SmartThings. I have to cover 5800 sq ft over 2 acres and SmartThings can't deal with that. I'm going to start with two Z-Nets.

One question, I have a bunch of zwave duplex NON-zwave plus outlets already in-wall, will I be able to include them if their closest controller is the secondary controller, meaning will the update of network info work from secondary to primary just as you show it working the other way?

Thanks for the post!
    Last edited by gbdesai; May 5, 2018, 07:34 PM.

Comment

The secondary controller aka inclusion controller . So I guess you can !
      Also realize you should probably get your new controller to "Exclude" these from their previous controller
      Last edited by BlairG; May 6, 2018, 04:12 PM.
      Blair

Comment

Yup. I was planning on using my old SmartThings to do a general device exclusion on all devices before I bring em into he znet / hometroller network. Thanks for the help. I'm still deciding if I should keep separate zwave network or combine them as you did. Right now I have 50 devices but am unsure if I'll go over 100, another thread suggested potential issues once you go north of 100 devices in one network.

Comment

Originally posted by BlairG View Post
          The secondary controller aka inclusion controller . So I guess you can !
          Also realize you should probably get your new controller to "Exclude" these from their previous controller
          And If that method was having trouble, you could probably take the primary Z-Net, powered by a USB battery, over to the devices which need inclusion and perform inclusion nearby.

Comment

Ahh good idea. Forgot znets, being rp devices run on 5v microusb. Nice!

Comment

What if you already have one Z-NET, can you add a second and follow the same basic procedure? Will the nodes figure out which Z-NETs they need to route through?
              HomeSeer Version: HS3 Standard Edition 3.0.0.548
              Linux version: Linux auto 4.15.0-72-generic #81-Ubuntu SMP Tue Nov 26 12:20:02 UTC 2019 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
              Number of Devices: 484 | Number of Events: 776

Enabled Plug-Ins: 3.0.0.13: AirplaySpeak | 2.0.61.0: BLBackup
              3.0.0.70: EasyTrigger | 1.3.7006.42100: LiftMaster MyQ
              4.2.3.0: mcsMQTT | 3.0.0.53: PHLocation2 | 0.0.0.47: Pushover 3P
              3.0.0.16: RaspberryIO | 3.0.1.262: Z-Wave

Z-Net version: 1.0.23 for Inclusion Nodes
              SmartStick+: 6.04 (ZDK 6.81.3) on Server

Comment

Once it's added as a new znet, on a new network, it will have an option to bring it onto your existing network.
                Now on each devices Zwave tab you'll see a drop list with options for which znet services the device.
                Blair

Comment

Ok, so if I understand you correctly.

The original Z-Net named Home-A, network A000000, currently has all the nodes assigned to it.

You then add the second Z-Net named Home-B and its network becomes B000000.

You then go to Home-B and include it into Home-As network and at that point network B000000 disappears and both Home-A and Home-B are on network A000000.

All the existing nodes are still connected to network A000000 and at this point I assume are still communicating to Home-A.

How do the nodes know which Z-Net to route through? Do you just fully optimize the network and then the nodes get set to the strongest Z-Net or is there something else you need to do such as manually set routes?
                  Linux version: Linux auto 4.15.0-72-generic #81-Ubuntu SMP Tue Nov 26 12:20:02 UTC 2019 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Comment

Look on the zwave tab of your devices.
                    there should be a drop down list that let's yout select which znet
                    Blair

Comment

Originally posted by BlairG View Post
                      When installing new devices to the network it can all be done in the tech room using the Main Znet (primary) and the device information will be updated out to the secondary controllers.
                      This is not correct.

When you add a new device to the main interface, there is no automatic updating of the other secondary controllers. You can tell by looking at your "Zwave and Networks Options" page: Under number of nodes, they are all a different number. They should all be the same.

In order to sync the new device with the secondary controllers, you must go to ZWave-->Controller Management and then under Actions for the Secondary controller -->"Synchronize this interfacewith main interface". One very important point not well documented: this process will only work if the secondary interface is in close proximity to the main interface. It won't work over multiple hops on the network. So you must physically move each secondary Z-net close to the main Z-Net for this to work correctly.

Comment

Originally posted by prsmith777 View Post

This is not correct.

When you add a new device to the main interface, there is no automatic updating of the other secondary controllers. You can tell by looking at your "Zwave and Networks Options" page: Under number of nodes, they are all a different number. They
                        I would not say you are wrong, however on the setup here when a new node is added to a znet there is an automatic update that occurs to update the other three znets, keeping them identical. All 4 znets contain identical device counts. They are in 4 separate areas of the building not close together.

As you described your system operates a little different.
                        Blair

Comment

This is interesting. All my Z-Nets are connected wirelessly. Are yours perhaps connected on the LAN instead? That might explain the difference.

Comment

So to summarize to see if I've got this. When you setup your first interface, be it a Z-NET or on the HS3 system directly, all devices will connect to it. When you add a second interface to the same network ID no devices will initially connect to it. You then go through each device you want on the second interface and change the setting to point to the second one.

Although you can run different network IDs I syspect you have less issues running one network ID since HS3 will generally only used one at a time where with two it could send commands to each at the same time.

Comment

Originally posted by Timon View Post
                              So to summarize to see if I've got this. When you setup your first interface, be it a Z-NET or on the HS3 system directly, all devices will connect to it. When you add a second interface to the same network ID no devices will initially connect to it. You then go through each device you want on the second interface and change the setting to point to the second one.

Although you can run different network IDs I syspect you have less issues running one network ID since HS3 will generally only used one at a time where with two it could send commands to each at the same time.
                              No, when you add a device you will be able to select which network it will attach to if you have multiple networks setup which is the preferred way.
                              💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Working...
                              X