Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Questions about a new system...

Hi all,
    We've been doing weeks of research on Hubs, Devices, Protocols and recently came across Homeseer as a viable option but we have a few questions.

Homeseer is the only system we've found that actually sells just the software and no need to purchase their actual Hub. This is perfect for us as we already use Win10 based systems for our media distribution and can put the HS3 software right on the same PC.

So here are my questions:
    1. Using the HC3 Pro software on a Win10 PC, in order to communicate with Zwave+ devices we will need the SpartStick+, correct?
    https://shop.homeseer.com/collection...nt=20271967494

2. We're looking at the best Dimmers to get and was planning on getting Insteon because of the Keypads, you can program each individual button to run a different scene... and uses Wireless and Powerline (as a backup) to transmit the data to their Hub. But because of the HS3 Pro software having the ability to customize it's own app, we may just be adding an in-wall tablet to each room as the main switch source. So if we do this, we would probably just use the HS-WD100+ in all the wired location... so I guess this is a 2-part question:
    A: Is the HS App reliable enough to utilize as the main room switches? Being on the same LAN as the HS3Pro PC it's process is as instant as hitting an actual keypad?
    B: If the internet is down to the home, will the App still work because it's on the same LAN or does the app talk to the Cloud then feed back to the HC3PRo PC?
    C: If we rent our home out via AirBnB, would you, as a renter, find it easy to go to an In-wall tablet and utilize the system... or would you prefer a multibutton keypad? Or just a simple toggle switch like the HS-WD100+ to turn on the immediate lights then use the tablet for all the scenes and such?

3. The HS-WD100+, are these dimmers also repeaters? We're looking at a few different companies for dimmers, some advertise that their dimmer is also a repeater for z-wave, others do not. It was my understanding that ALL Z-wave items are repeaters. Is that correct or no?

4. IR Control, I can not seem to find any HS devices that emit the IR to control IR devices... I've only found 3rd party hardware people are using on the forum here. Does HS have an IR transmitter?

Thanks all for the help!

While I cannot speak to the use of the Insteon devices, I can talk to the z-wave units.

There are z-wave scene units with buttons to allow you to set some scenes. I don't use any but have considered using these in conjunction with devices that do not have direct wall switches. For instance, you can get a module that fits in the electric box or in a ceiling fan and control the light to the fan this way.

You would need a SmartStick or some other similar unit to communicate with z-wave devices. This includes sending on/off/dim, etc commands and also receiving information from z-wave sensors.

The z-wave devices will repeat a signal as well as receive the signal. So if you have a device in a distant area, units in between that device and the SmartStick will send the signal along. Before I had more wall switches in place I had a z-wave lamp module between my garage and the HomeSeer system to do just this. The garage devices would not get a signal but when I put the lamp module in place, it forwarded the signal on after an network optimization. The more z-wave devices on the network, the stronger it becomes.

If you have HomeSeer running on the system in your house, it does not need internet access to do anything EXCEPT work with Google Home and maybe Alexa (I don't have an Alexa device but have been abusing my Google Home Mini). A tablet as well as a smart phone can be set up, with HSTouch, to control your lights, etc. If it is on the same network, then you are fine. If you want to control things while away from home, HomeSeer does need internet access to receive communicate with HSTouch on the remote device.

Setting up HSTouch takes some work on your end and can be as simple or complex as you like. I have HSTouch on my phone and have found it useful to open the garage door to allow our daughter in when she has forgotten a key. Or to open the garage while outside. If I do not have it opened already, I find it useful for turning lights off on a different floor, but if on the same floor I can often walk to the wall switch(es) faster. I have toyed with the idea of having a dedicated tablet. As long as it wakes up quickly or is always on, it would work fine.

I like the use of wall switches to control lights as everyone knows how to use them. Visitors can use the wall switch and HomeSeer controls the same light switch. A touch screen could be simple and some will find it easy to use, but the computer support person in me says some people will need it explained to them no matter how simple, if only because it is different. For these people, even the plates with lots of buttons will probably be a problem.

As for the best dimmer, that comes down to a lot of factors as to what you may think is the best. To me it was a decora style switch which acted like a standard switch. The ones I have "ramp" up and down and some people just can't handle it taking a second or two for the light to go on or off and end up holding the switch, which dims them. This becomes a problem for some people. They turn the light off by touching the bottom all well and fine, but it does not go off immediately so they then hold the bottom. This actually dims it down to 0 so now touching the top does not turn it on. I like the ramp capability as it allows my eyes to adjust from dark to a light being on. It also gives me time to get out of a room if the switch is not next to my egress point.

I do not have the HomeSeer dimmers as these came out after most of my wall switches were installed. It is my understanding that all z-wave units repeat the signal. Since I do not have them I cannot say if the "ramp" up/down like my current units.

Google Home: You didn't ask, but I mention it as this is one way to remove the need for touch screen or scene units. This has been a nice addition even if I do have to say "OK Google" to start. If I want the Living Room ceiling Fan turned on I don't have to go to a touchpad or the wall. I can sit on my duff and say "Hey google, turn on the living room fan" and it comes on.

For IR control you will need to use a third party item. Remember, HomeSeer is the core program and hub to control items. You may have seen a few references while looking over the forums for a couple different ways to do this. I am not endorsing any of these and do not currently use any, but: There is a HomeSeer plugin for some units, if you have a Logitech Harmony Hub there is a plugin to use it as well. There are a couple other options and if you have programming abilities, or want to learn, then you can create your own plugin.

I have attached a couple of the HSTouch screens from my phone. My Main screen allows me to select lights on the main floor and use the slider on the right to set the dim level of the selected units. In that image this would be the items with the green check next to them.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2017-11-06-15-32-15.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	55.1 KB
ID:	1192943

I can also show IP security cameras. This is nice because I see who I am opening the garage door for. The Unlock Front Door is for a future z-wave lock.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2017-11-06-15-34-42.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	49.4 KB
ID:	1192944
    Karl S
    HS4Pro on Windows 10
    1070 Devices
    56 Z-Wave Nodes
    104 Events
    HSTouch Clients: 3 Android, 1 iOS
    Google Home: 3 Mini units, 1 Pair Audios, 2 Displays

Comment

Thanks for the response!

I should have added this into the original post... Yes we use Echo Dots which are located through the home so this would be the way we would usually work with the system.

Your thoughts about the multi-button dimmers compared to the wall touchscreen seems about right. People see a simple decora toggle switch they'll hit that... they see a 2 gang set of keypads that total 16 keypad buttons, they'll stop and try to figure out what exactly to do in this situation and probably get more irritated having to think about how to turn a light on.

As for the IP Cams, yes we're looking at doing this as well. Is there a list of brands that will work with HS3Pro? We have both HIK and Dahura cams.

We'll need to be open a gate at the front of the property as well, so trying to figure out how this is going to happen is another issue as it does not have a standard 2-wire switch like a garage door opener, it's strictly RF. That being said, do you have any idea on how to add an RF device to the HS system?

Thanks again!

Comment

Originally posted by Integraoligist View Post
        Thanks for the response!

I should have added this into the original post... Yes we use Echo Dots which are located through the home so this would be the way we would usually work with the system.

Your thoughts about the multi-button dimmers compared to the wall touchscreen seems about right. People see a simple decora toggle switch they'll hit that... they see a 2 gang set of keypads that total 16 keypad buttons, they'll stop and try to figure out what exactly to do in this situation and probably get more irritated having to think about how to turn a light on.

As for the IP Cams, yes we're looking at doing this as well. Is there a list of brands that will work with HS3Pro? We have both HIK and Dahura cams.

We'll need to be open a gate at the front of the property as well, so trying to figure out how this is going to happen is another issue as it does not have a standard 2-wire switch like a garage door opener, it's strictly RF. That being said, do you have any idea on how to add an RF device to the HS system?

Thanks again!

I thought I'd toss in my 2 cents

Your echo dots use the cloud, so if your internet is down voice commands will not work.

the HS-WD100's do ramp up and down. I personally like this, but it can confuse guests who will try to hold the button instead of just tapping it. One nice feature is that this ramp rate can be controlled which means you can set this switch to be instant off/on for when you have guests. I'm a fan of the HS-WD100's since they instantly report status back to homeseer. If you want to trigger events based on manual activation of your switches you'll want instant status reporting. I'm also very fond of their central scenes which I like to use for global commands such as turning all the lights off as I leave or climb into bed.

as long as you can view the feed from your cam in a browser window you can incorporate it into HStouch screens.

If you open up your gate enclosure you'll probably find there is an RF module that connects to terminals to activate the gate. shorting across these terminals will operate the gate. To control the gate with a zwave device you'd use a z wave isolated relay.
        HS4 Pro on Shuttle NC10U, Win10; Z-NET
        Number of Devices: 1005
        Number of Events: 293

Plug-Ins: BLLock, DirecTv, EasyTrigger, Honeywell WiFi Thermostat, Marquis monoprice Amp, MeiHarmonyHub, PHLocation2, Pushover 3P, UltraM1G3, rnbWeather, Worx Landroid, Z-Wave

External applications: Homebridge-homeseer, Geofency, EgiGeoZone.

Comment

My garage door works with a contact closure unit. I run an event to which basically turns the unit on then off a second later. This simulates the push of a momentary contact button.

Reporting the status of a device back, the instant status jmaddox mentioned, is a bonus. It is nice for HomeSeer to know the light is on when manually operated. That is something I don't have on all my switches and wish I did.

There are plugins and units which receive RF and report that back to HomeSeer but I do not know if they transmit. I have not had the need to use them. If the gate is your only use, I would go with a contact closure unit. A garage door unit may work as well as I imagine the gate just opens using similar methods. I could not find one when I connected my garage door. As jmaddox mentioned, there is probably a terminal in the box by the gate with 2 connections, or maybe a place for manual button or key switch to be connected. This is where you would connect a contact/garage door unit. Here is a wiring diagram for a unit which includes an optional button at the top center. The only real issue may be distance.

Note that you can mix and have both Insteon and z-wave. I use to use X-10 and started adding z-wave so I had a mixed environment until I could replace all the X-10 items. HomeSeer handles this well in my experience. (I would not recommend X-10 and don't even know if it is still around.)

My HSTouch screen for the cameras uses an external web address to display each live feed. As mentioned, you can show any camera feed you can view in your browser.
          Karl S
          HS4Pro on Windows 10
          1070 Devices
          56 Z-Wave Nodes
          104 Events
          HSTouch Clients: 3 Android, 1 iOS
          Google Home: 3 Mini units, 1 Pair Audios, 2 Displays

Comment

Working...
          X