Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Linked Virtual Device behaviour

Hi all,

I have a Main Device "Back Lawn" which is linked to a Virtual Device "Back Lawn". They are linked both ways using the "Linking" feature in the device options.

If I toggle the Main Device Back Lawn the Virtual Device Back lawn updates accordingly, however if I toggle the Virtual Device then the Main device doesn't get updated, any idea why this may be occurring?

Click image for larger version

Name:	cap2.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	56.8 KB
ID:	1211325

Name:	cap1.JPG
Size:	60.0 KB
ID:	1211326

Thanks

I am not sure that linking supports bi-directional linking. I have never tested it. I have tested nested linking where A links to B and B to C, etc. and it works. I could see a circular relationship as potentially causing problems. Is the Virtual Device identical to the physical device in terms of values? Do On and Off have the same values defined on both devices?
    HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.16 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

Originally posted by rprade View Post
      Is the Virtual Device identical to the physical device in terms of values? Do On and Off have the same values defined on both devices?
      Yes both devices are either ON or OFF

Comment

Originally posted by Megaman View Post
        Yes both devices are either ON or OFF
        I was referring to the numeric values. Virtual devices use 0 for Off and 100 for On by default. Does your Rain8net Back Lawn device use the same values for Off and On? HomeSeer only evaluates numeric values, the status text is not a factor. The device linking will only set the linked device to the same numeric value, so the destination must use the same value setup as the source.

For example my Aeotec power control modules use 0 for Off and 255 for On. It could not be linked to a Virtual Device without modifying it to use 255 for On. My Arduino devices use 0 for Off and 1 for On. I have some dimming devices that are 0-100, others that are 0-99 and a last group that are 0-255, devices using different values cannot be linked.

Comment

Never used linking, following along for the learning.

Comment

For illustrative purposes, here is a typical Virtual Device

Name:	capture.png
Size:	24.7 KB
ID:	1191944

And here is a Z-Wave power switch

Name:	Capture1.PNG
Size:	27.2 KB
ID:	1191945

They cannot be linked. Even though they are On/Off switches, the On values are different.

Comment

I use "bi-directional" linking and it does work. Since you are using a virtual device you can change it's ON value to match the real devices ON value if they're different.

Comment

Originally posted by andyf View Post
                I use "bi-directional" linking and it does work. Since you are using a virtual device you can change it's ON value to match the real devices ON value if they're different.
                Yes, values, status text and graphics can all be changed on a Virtual Device. You can make a Virtual Device mirror other physical devices. I posted a tutorial here. "Physical" devices in HomeSeer are simply Virtual Devices linked to a physical device by a plug-in. What we need to know from the OP is what values are assigned to each of his devices.

Comment

Randy, not to hijack the thread, but I'd enjoy seeing a discussion on the use of linked devices in events. (I haven't paid much attention to them, but maybe if I saw how they can be used, that would change.) Any plans to cover that in your event clinic?
                  Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
                  HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

Yes, values, status text and graphics can all be changed on a Virtual Device. You can make a Virtual Device mirror other physical devices. I posted a tutorial here. "Physical" devices in HomeSeer are simply Virtual Devices linked to a physical device by a plug-in. What we need to know from the OP is what values are assigned to each of his devices.
                    I would just like to say that as a new user of Homeseer I found your tutorials of immense value switching from an ISY.

Comment

Originally posted by andyf View Post
                      I would just like to say that as a new user of Homeseer I found your tutorials of immense value switching from an ISY.
                      I'm glad to hear they have helped. I had grand plans when I started them a few years ago. I really have been wanting to do more, but time is not my friend lately. Maybe this winter.

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Michael View Post
                        Randy, not to hijack the thread, but I'd enjoy seeing a discussion on the use of linked devices in events. (I haven't paid much attention to them, but maybe if I saw how they can be used, that would change.) Any plans to cover that in your event clinic?
                        I'll definitely be covering them, probably in the Virtual Devices forum, since it really doesn't have anything to do with events. I just haven't had the time to thoroughly examine linking so that I can properly describe how they work and if there are any limitations. Like I wrote above, I just need to find time.

Comment

I'll definitely be covering them, probably in the Virtual Devices forum, since it really doesn't have anything to do with events. I just haven't had the time to thoroughly examine linking so that I can properly describe how they work and if there are any limitations. Like I wrote above, I just need to find time.
                          I would also appreciate that. Thanks,

Comment

I was referring to the numeric values. Virtual devices use 0 for Off and 100 for On by default. Does your Rain8net Back Lawn device use the same values for Off and On? HomeSeer only evaluates numeric values, the status text is not a factor. The device linking will only set the linked device to the same numeric value, so the destination must use the same value setup as the source.

For example my Aeotec power control modules use 0 for Off and 255 for On. It could not be linked to a Virtual Device without modifying it to use 255 for On. My Arduino devices use 0 for Off and 1 for On. I have some dimming devices that are 0-100, others that are 0-99 and a last group that are 0-255, devices using different values cannot be linked.
                            My Rain8 Devices use values 3/4 for ON/OFF, I'll modify the options as you've suggested in the virtual device and see if that works.

Thank you

Comment

Working...
                            X