"Hey Norm" introduction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Hey Norm" introduction

Hey, new member to the forum here, I hope homeseer can do what I'm trying to do.

I'm a member of a makerspace in Tennessee and I want to make a system that can recognize a person's smartphone mac-id (once registered) and play a personalized mp3/wav file for about 5 seconds to let others know that Joe, Frank or Raj (or whoever) has arrived. I know the router would pick up the mac-id when they get in range (like in the parking lot), so I'm not concerned when walking in the door notification.

A friend pointed me to this product. Would this software do the trick? I'm a programmer professionally, so writing scripts and the like are in my wheelhouse provided homeseer has the capability to let me do so.

If possible, I'd probably want to code it such that it only activates for a given user once every 2 hours so going in and out of range doesn't play a notifcation every 5 minutes.

Thanks in advance.
    Jeff
    Last edited by jeffjohnvol; August 9, 2013, 07:27 AM. Reason: heading into notification

Welcome to HomeSeer, Jeff.

I'm pretty sure HS will allow you to do what you describe - and a whole lot more.

Take a look at Ultra Jones' UltraMon plug-in, Blade's BLRouterMonitor plug-in, and Jon00's RCCNM script. I'm guessing you could use any one of them to detect the presence of a phone.

EDIT: You also might find this thread of interest: http://board.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=159955
    Last edited by Uncle Michael; August 9, 2013, 10:48 AM. Reason: added link
    Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
    HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

Hi Jeff!

I've been a HomeSeer user since 2001. I got in very heavy for 4 years, wrote a lot of Home Automation & A.I. scripts... then I let it all run into the ground for about 8 years, (a lot of my scripts failed over the years due to references that went away over the years). Recently, the last couple months, I've got back in and am in the process of building a new HomeSeer system for my home.

First thing I will say is that if you can do scripts, you can do nearly anything with HomeSeer, mostly only limited to your script skill and your imagination... it's very versatile.

If you CAN resist the temptation to create unbelievably cool scripts and just stick to the basic they should run for a long time. If you CAN'T resist the cool factor... the cooler you get, the more maintenance the script may require.

And last... but not least... you should like to tinker. A significant amount of this stuff takes a little adjusting to fit... (things don't always work as you expect). But that is where this really great HomeSeer Message Board comes in... they have a lot of people on here who have been there and back and are very willing to help out.

Should you decide to go for it... Welcome to the Wacky Wonderful World of HomeSeer!

Comment

Hi Jeff

You just found the correct software for your needs, aim not a programmer myself and I have achived things that ai wouldn't imagine doing. I wish I had some scripting skills, but with HS you really don't have to know scritping. Welcome....
        Hector
        MyTrigger,ACRF2,W800,Zwave
        AP800,Honeywell Stat

Comment

Welcome!
          Yes, this is a "almost" limitless software and GREAT group of folks on this forum that are unbelievably helpful.
          I've been using Jon00 Bluetooth script(free/donate) to detect our phones as we come in and out of the house for a while. You just have to find a good location to put the Bluetooth dongle(perhaps never the driveway - run a usb cable from the server to the soffit near the driveway).
          goodluck
          Tom
          baby steps...starting again with HS3
          HS3Pro: Z-NET & 80 Z wave Devices,
          HSTouch: 4 Joggler (Android Kitkat), 2 iPhone, 3 iPads
          Whole House Audio: 5 SqueezePlay Jogglers w Bose Speakers
          In The Works: 10 Cameras Geovision, new Adecmo/Envisalink Alarm, Arduinos
          System: XP on Fanless Mini-ITX w/ SSD

Comment

Thanks for all the well thought out replies. Once I get a few other projects wrapped up I will need to give HS a go!

thanks.
            Jeff

Comment

Okay, so it's been answered that HS can do what I need, but I'm at a bit of a loss what parts I need to do this.

And being an absolute noob on HS, let me ask the following (sorry if this is my RTFM moment):

1. Is HS2 free for home use and we just purchase the interfaces and their respective devices?
              2. To have HS2 identify mac-id's of smartphones, do I need additional hardware other than a connection to a wireless router? I've parused the solutions (occupancy detection etc) but didn't see this.
              3. Are there any books that anyone recommends? An amazon search just revealed general automation, and not homeseer as a subject.

Thanks.
              Jeff

Comment

Originally posted by jeffjohnvol View Post
                Okay, so it's been answered that HS can do what I need, but I'm at a bit of a loss what parts I need to do this.

And being an absolute noob on HS, let me ask the following (sorry if this is my RTFM moment):

1. Is HS2 free for home use and we just purchase the interfaces and their respective devices?
                2. To have HS2 identify mac-id's of smartphones, do I need additional hardware other than a connection to a wireless router? I've parused the solutions (occupancy detection etc) but didn't see this.
                3. Are there any books that anyone recommends? An amazon search just revealed general automation, and not homeseer as a subject.

Thanks.
                Jeff

1. HS nor HSPro are free. There is a trial period you can use to test if needed. I recommend the Pro version - completely worth it in the long run.
                2. You should be able to use your router but I think Jon00 bluetooth(Free) also detects wifi. If you're able to do programing/scripting then this should be do able.
                3. No books for HS that I know of - but lots on info in the HS help file, forum How To section, and forum searches. If you dont find info ask the friendly folks here.
                Tom
                baby steps...starting again with HS3
                HS3Pro: Z-NET & 80 Z wave Devices,
                HSTouch: 4 Joggler (Android Kitkat), 2 iPhone, 3 iPads
                Whole House Audio: 5 SqueezePlay Jogglers w Bose Speakers
                In The Works: 10 Cameras Geovision, new Adecmo/Envisalink Alarm, Arduinos
                System: XP on Fanless Mini-ITX w/ SSD

Comment

FYI, I'm going through some tutorials from the site now, but still would be interested in any answers anyone may suggest.

Comment

Working...
                  X