Weather Station Recomendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weather Station Recomendations

I'm looking to get a good personal weather station. I've seen a few and I would like suggestions from those with experience.

Wants:
    Integration to HS3
    All the normal temp/humidity/wind speed/rain fall
    Integration to WU

I'm not a big weather person, all I care about is the forecast for rain before I take out the bike. However my Wife is a weather geek and this is mainly for her so advanced features or add-on capability is a plus. A nice display and/or phone app or web page or integration to HSTouch is a Plus

Originally posted by jeubanks View Post
    I'm looking to get a good personal weather station. I've seen a few and I would like suggestions from those with experience.

Wants:
    Integration to HS3
    All the normal temp/humidity/wind speed/rain fall
    Integration to WU

I'm not a big weather person, all I care about is the forecast for rain before I take out the bike. However my Wife is a weather geek and this is mainly for her so advanced features or add-on capability is a plus. A nice display and/or phone app or web page or integration to HSTouch is a Plus

I have the Ambient Weather WS-2902. It reports 10 different things and has a nice color display.

Comment

Originally posted by cowinger View Post
      I have the Ambient Weather WS-2902. It reports 10 different things and has a nice color display.
      I was not very patient... But I ordered the same unit.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Comment

Here over the years went to a Davis Weather station.

The console today is a bit antiquated and has an old fashioned LCD display with a back light.
        - Pete

Auto mator
        Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
        Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
        HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
        HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Considering the ws-2902a off amazon. Are you guys able to get the data into HS3? I'd be interested primarily in rainfall and light (w/m2) data and passing that on to air conditioner / irrigation event rules. Is there a HS3 plugin that functions with this weather station, or do you somehow import the data from its wifi ability?

Comment

I just added an Ambient Weather WS-2902a device, purchased from Amazon, and used jeubanks plugin to add to HS3. Works like a champ, and the whole process including mounting on the roof took about 2 hours.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by readi343 View Post
              Considering the ws-2902a off amazon. Are you guys able to get the data into HS3? I'd be interested primarily in rainfall and light (w/m2) data and passing that on to air conditioner / irrigation event rules. Is there a HS3 plugin that functions with this weather station, or do you somehow import the data from its wifi ability?
              Jeubanks has started production on a rather good Ambient Weather plugin:

https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/3r...weather-plugin

It's in beta but works well from my experience. I am using it for reasons similar to yourself, to measure rainfall and have that trigger/pause events (irrigation in my case).

There is also another plugin also in development being produced by bpwwer but I have not tried it out.

The latest Ambient Weather firmware update for the ObserverIP module has also added the ability to pair more than 2 sensor arrays with the unit. You can now have up to 8 sensors, so you could purchase an additional 6 indoor sensors and position them around your home for room-by-room temperature. I haven't done this myself yet though so I don't know how it would present in the Ambient Weather dashboard or the plugin.

Comment

Originally posted by Fellhahn View Post

I am using it for reasons similar to yourself, to measure rainfall and have that trigger/pause events (irrigation in my case).
                Same here. Just curious how you are implementing that? I didn't spend a ton of time thinking through the logic, but I have added a virtual device that is set to TRUE if daily rain is greater than 0.1 inch and use that as a condition to prevent the irrigation event. I reset that device at midnight back to false.

Of course, event coding on the fly is dangerous, and there are obvious flaws. If it rains several inches before midnight, but no rain after, the event will still water at 5:00 am. Not ideal. I also had to code around the situation where I wanted to manually disable the irrigation event for whatever reason, and not have it turn back on at midnight every day.

Just curious if brighter minds put more thought in it than I did. Maybe this weekend I can refactor the logic.

Comment

The firmware update notes for OberverIP:

https://www.ambientweather.com/wswsfiup.html

The 8 channel sensor that can be added:

https://www.ambientweather.com/amwh31b.html

At ~$9 each, heck of a lot cheaper than most Z-Wave multisensors.

Comment

Originally posted by mterry63 View Post

Same here. Just curious how you are implementing that? I didn't spend a ton of time thinking through the logic, but I have added a virtual device that is set to TRUE if daily rain is greater than 0.1 inch and use that as a condition to prevent the irrigation event. I reset that device at midnight back to false.

Of course, event coding on the fly is dangerous, and there are obvious flaws. If it rains several inches before midnight, but no rain after, the event will still water at 5:00 am. Not ideal. I also had to code around the situation where I wanted to manually disable the irrigation event for whatever reason, and not have it turn back on at midnight every day.

Just curious if brighter minds put more thought in it than I did. Maybe this weekend I can refactor the logic.
                    Ha, exact same situation, I haven't put much more though into it yet either. I use the system enable/disable child device of the GoControl irrigation controller as my check device for irrigation events, but other wise the same. IF Rain > [Limit] THEN set irrigation system to disable.

I'm thinking I'll need to find a way to read a value out of the rain today device and write it into another virtual device at ~11:50pm each day before the reset. Have virtual devices that store the last two days rain values, and another that adds these two value. Then do the enable/disable check based off that summed value. It will require scripting but I don't think it'll be a hard one.

Comment

That's funny, I have the same GoControl unit I replaced my Rainbird with last year. Not terribly happy with HS's support of that device. I did get the hardwired rain sensor working, but thought the weather station would give better data for decisions.

Easy trigger can probably accomplish the logic without scripting. After posting the above I made the effort to google "how much should I water per week" and got the consensus of 1 inch per week. I may just change to that device and amount, but as you point out with the above, it's not a rolling count so the same problem can occur on the weekly reset.

Comment

A curious thing is that LinkTap (another irrigation system) has a "Rain Delay" feature that's part of their product. It uses your location info and weather forecasts to suspend/delay your schedules automatically. Works well it's the system I have (yes I'm doing a plugin for it as well)

Comment

Originally posted by Fellhahn View Post
                          The firmware update notes for OberverIP:

https://www.ambientweather.com/wswsfiup.html

The 8 channel sensor that can be added:

https://www.ambientweather.com/amwh31b.html

At ~$9 each, heck of a lot cheaper than most Z-Wave multisensors.
                          excellent advice and recommendations, thank you

Comment

I recently purchased an Ambient Weather WS-2902A weather station from Amazon and could not get the console to update to Ambient Weather's Site reliably. The WiFi would never remain connected as well. I went through a plethora of troubleshooting including moving the station closer, further, etc... from the router, ensuring only the 2.4GHz was enabled (I have an Asus RT-88U router), did a factory reset, restored WiFi settings, called tech support, etc... I wound up returning the unit and am now on the hunt for a weather station that will work with an Asus router (and a Z-Wave network, though I doubt that was the problem).
                            --------------------------------------------------
                            **** Do You "Cocoon"? ****

Comment

I have read good reviews relating to the Ambient Weather stations and Asus RT-99U combo router.

That said I have not had issues with my Davis or Fine Offset (toy like) weather stations in over 10 years using propietary wireless.

Many vendors of Weather Stations today are using their cloud connectivity to share your data and it does become a dependency.

I treat the whole weather stuff similiary to using CCTV and Security with my automation. It is all autonomous and works fine without Homeseer.

Typically many folks run weather dedicated software on one computer. Most popular software is Cumulus, WeeWx and VWS weather software.

Lately and specfically with Amazon Prime (been a Prime member now for many years) seeing issues relating to the 2 day delivery stuff and quality control stuff.

Seems to me like they are re packaging returns or defective products to be shipped out.

You can return your Ambient weather station to Amazon for a replacement or refund easy enough. Amazon will send you a pre paid USPS or UPS label. If you call them at 1 (888) 280-4331 and talk to CS they will probably just send (2 days) a replacement with a return label for "defective" one.
                              Last edited by Pete; August 5, 2018, 12:37 PM.
                              - Pete

Auto mator
                              Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
                              Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
                              HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
                              HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Working...
                              X