Possibly useful hardware control interface

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Possibly useful hardware control interface

I am a big fan of physical buttons for control over touchscreens but there are obviously limitations with a system that is constantly being expanded and developed.

The other day, I came across a colleague using Stream Deck - a USB button panel with LCD keys (well, an LCD panel behind clear keys).

https://www.elgato.com/en/gaming/stream-deck

I expect it would work directly with this: https://forums.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=192955
    Jon

Comment

I realize this is an ancient thread, but wanted to add -

I have a Stream Deck and use it to control HomeSeer with RunJSON.exe - works really well, and the Stream Deck does not have to be connected directly to your HS3 computer.

Comment

Pugsly, can you show us a example?

Comment

This deck is now on sale for $99 and always been on my list as ideal little Home Automation controller, but I would want full control, meaning I can show a "light" icon, and when clicking on that it would reveal say "bed" icon, "kitchen", etc. so a multi-level that dynamically adjusts.

Has anybody that owns one achieve that type of control?

Comment

Interesting... there is a 6 key for ~ $62.... i'd be interested if anyone can figure out how to tie in to HS
            Regards,

Andrew B.

Comment

Bought the $99 model, and will see if I can make it work, otherwise Amazon return policy to the rescue.

Comment

Originally posted by pugsly View Post
                I realize this is an ancient thread, but wanted to add -

I have a Stream Deck and use it to control HomeSeer with RunJSON.exe - works really well, and the Stream Deck does not have to be connected directly to your HS3 computer.
                I would also be extremely interested in seeing how you've done this. I guess its time-consuming so I dare ask, but would it be possible to make a little guide to those of us less gifted on the programming/genius side?

Comment

Originally posted by TomB View Post

I would also be extremely interested in seeing how you've done this. I guess its time-consuming so I dare ask, but would it be possible to make a little guide to those of us less gifted on the programming/genius side?
                  If you first study the HomeSeer explanations on how to do what you want to do via command-line as-is or via utilities such as RunJSON; then it's a simple matter of finding a nice looking icon to match (or use one from HomeSeer image folder), and tie it to a StreamDeck button, which is also easy.

An even easier way would be to just fire up GET requests, such as for example configuring a StreamDeck button to visit a website, and then use custom URLs that do what you want.

Example for a dimmer (Reference ID of respective device is '140', use Tools -> Setup -> "Custom tab" -> activate "Show Device Reference Number on Device Management Page (for developers)" checkbox to view them easy inside 'Home' view for all devices, and 'homeseer' needs to be network resolvable name or just use IP address of the system running HomeSeer):
                  There are different methods and attributes, so consult forum or study some developer documents if you really want to delve deeper. Things are too dynamic to cater to everybody, so you will have to do some studying if you want to get something that satisfies all your needs.

Comment

Yes, using hardware can be tricky sometimes as there are lots of factors that comes into play. So while working with the hardware you have to be very careful. One mistake and you can end up damaging the circuit.

--
                    Lewis

Comment

I created this little "Remote" device using an Arduino based nodeMCU and some 19mm diameter LED lit momentary buttons. It sends out an MQTT topic for each button, On or Off. I associated a virtual device in HomeSeer with each button on the remote. If the virtual device is On, the LED is lit, and Off if the device is off.

HomeSeer Events them control devices based on the status of the virtual devices. This allows me to use the remote for different items at different times of the year.

I get a couple days on a battery charge but could easily have it plugged in instead of running on battery. I could probably optimize battery life as well by utilizing some sleep functionally, especially on the WiFi connection side. It would be possible to add more buttons but 4 fit my needs. 3 more would be straightforward while more could be handled as well, if desired.

I had temporary labels on the remote for Christmas so we all knew what the buttons do. Version 2 will be in a nicer case with the status LED on the MCU showing and an on/off switch for the entire unit.

The whole thing has cost me, outside of time, under $30 US. The 2500mah battery was the most expensive part. But it also means I'm not tied to an outlet or other device.
                      Click image for larger version

Name:	PSX_20200113_142816.jpg
Views:	1131
Size:	101.5 KB
ID:	1354086
                      Karl S
                      HS4Pro on Windows 10
                      1070 Devices
                      56 Z-Wave Nodes
                      104 Events
                      HSTouch Clients: 3 Android, 1 iOS
                      Google Home: 3 Mini units, 1 Pair Audios, 2 Displays

Comment

I've had a Streamdeck for about 2.5 years. I used it for multimedia production. Right after I bought it, I thought it would be a cool HA controller. It took a few app generations to get there, but now it is fairly easy to interface through IFTTT. It is now being used by my son for his D&D sessions. He can play music, sounds, change light colors and even the A/C in the room to create the mood/scene he wants. He is using it at about 5% of what it could do. There is a larger version (and a smaller version) but you can make one button open a virtual folder (and sub folder) so the original 15 keys can be quickly and easily used for hundreds of actions. Its an awesome device for a media room.

Comment

Maybe not really worth posting, but this is a plugin I wrote for the StreamDeck to interface with homeseer's JSON SDK nothing more adventurous than a simple toggle, but its great for my setup as you can see the far right column turns on and off the lights on and around my desk and shows the current status if turned on via alternative means.

the plugin needs HomeSeers IP address, the Device Name, Device ID and the on and off values.

Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by fuzzysb View Post
                            Maybe not really worth posting, but this is a plugin I wrote for the StreamDeck to interface with homeseer's JSON SDK nothing more adventurous than a simple toggle, but its great for my setup as you can see the far right column turns on and off the lights on and around my desk and shows the current status if turned on via alternative means.
                            the plugin needs HomeSeers IP address, the Device Name, Device ID and the on and off values.
                            Works great on initial testing, but it is slightly annoying that no changes can be made, you have to delete the action and recreate it.

Comment

Originally posted by RoChess View Post

Works great on initial testing, but it is slightly annoying that no changes can be made, you have to delete the action and recreate it.
                              That's a streamdeck issue. If you highlight all text in a field and then overtype it will work. A number of plugins have this issue. I think I need to dispose of the timer to prevent it from firing. But don't know what interface I need to do it in that doesn't leave it permanently disposed. But it's not often I change something once in place so haven't seen the need to look more in depth

Comment

Working...
                              X