"Inherited" Homeseer system.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Inherited" Homeseer system.

I recently purchased a home, and I had intended on planning out some home automation for it, but after digging through the media centers that conveyed with the house I discovered that the former owner had actually installed and configured homeseer for many of the rooms already. I was pretty excited to learn all the hard work (and spending!) was already done, but since there was no documentation on this from the last owner I really am at a loss for what to do.
    Unfortunately due to other issues with the seller I cant inquire about the system, so I'm trying to figure out things on my own. I've done a little reading here, but I'm stuck trying to figure out what (if anything) is missing to make the system work correctly.

Currently the system is partially working. It is PC based and I can control 2 sets of lights, but 5 others are status "unknown" and do not respond when polled. I'm not really sure how to troubleshoot these and I'm hesitant to mess with them too much at the risk of screwing up more. But I do have a few observations and questions about it.

1. The interface is set to USB ZU0100, but when I checked the server the actual device that's attached is a Homepro ZCU000. Is that an issue, or is it compatible listed as that device?

2. I've often seen reference to a remote. Is this a required device or can I still get by without it? They didn't leave one.

3. What's the best method of troubleshooting these issues? I don't know how an rf system would have communication issues unless that controller interface is bunk, or the devices themselves are misconfigured. How can I tell?

Any help or directions towards information for me to help myself would be greatly appreciated. I am proficient in computers and AV systems, but I'm new to Home Automation so this is all fresh stuff for me.
    Thanks.

It sounds like your house has some Z-wave devices installed. You might want to start by reading some threads in that forum. That may give you more clues about what to look for and what to ask about. You could also search for Z-wave info on the web.
    Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
    HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

Hmmm...that sounds like a challenge. Homeseer doesn't have much documentation so you probably aren't missing much.

First I would figure out how the lights are being controlled. There is X-10, UPB, Z-Wave or a few others. Sounds like you might have X-10, in which case a switch can be receive only or two-way. Only two-way switches report their status. By the way, switches are the most expensive part of most home automation. I've probably spent close to $2500 just on switches.

Once you map out that, you will start discovering the rest, like if you have a security system separate from Homeseer? As you might know, controlling lights is great, but if the PC doesn't have an input from doors, motion sensors, etc. it can't make many decisions.

Comment

What version of HomeSeer are you running? My suggestion would be to dump the older USB interface and get the new Z-Troller. It's a far superior interface and you can use the Z-Seer software package with it which will allow you to "visualize" your Z-Wave installation.
        💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

I would post where you are located, maybe there is a home automation enthusiast close by that you could persuade to check things out and let you know where you stand
          Over The Hill
          What Hill?
          Where?
          When?
          I Don't Remember Any Hill

Virtualized Server 2k3 Ent X86 Guest on VMWare ESXi 4.1 with 3 SunRay thin clients as access points - HSPro 2.4.0.48 - ZTroller - ACRF2 (3 WGL 800's) - iAutomate RFID - Ledam - MLHSPlugin - Ultra1wire - RainRelay8 - TI103 - Ultramon - WAF-AB8SS - jvESS (11 zones) - Bitwise Controls BC4 - with 745 Total Devices - 550 Events - 104 scripts - 78 ZWave devices - 42 X10 devices - 76 DS10a's 3 RFXSenors and 32 Motion Sensors

Comment

Originally posted by anogee View Post
            First I would figure out how the lights are being controlled. There is X-10, UPB, Z-Wave or a few others. Sounds like you might have X-10, in which case a switch can be receive only or two-way.
            He said he had a Homepro ZCU000 which is a Z-Wave interface.
            💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

I discovered It's running version 2.1.122.0 of Homeseer, and that I have a Zwave system, using the Homepro controller, but from what I understand I cant troubleshoot or re-add the devices without the primary remote or something similar. (is that correct?)

There's a few outlets I'm seeing in the house that aren't listed on the HS software so getting a z-troller is probably my best bet.

Thanks for the suggestions and advice.

Comment

As a retrofit (retrolearn), the ztroller and z-seer would be your best bet.

Since the seller didnt leave the MASTER remote, you would need to get a master remote. You could get a handheld, learn, transfer to secondary remote, learn to HS, or add to ztroller, learn to HS.

Just remember, have fun with it and encourage wifey support.

Comment

Working...
                X