Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How would I log changing device values?

HI folks!

I want to log changing light/lux/luminance values in one of my devices/sensors.
    Possibly every hour to start, just to get a handle on actual values through the day.
    So basically I would want to capture day, time and device/lux value
    (basically it would then be usable to track changing values on *any* device, not just light)
    Can anyone suggest a way to do this?

Thanks

Hi,

It depends on how much data you want to store and for how long. If you want many days or months, then you could write to a database - ie SQLite. Many plugins use a database for data storage. If you want only a day or two, then review the data and start over, you could use a script and write to a file on linux. You could even use a Linux bash script to move the file with the collected data to a "backup file" named with the day's date to review later. If you want to review the data within homeseer, you could write the data to a virtual device's string. Which you could overwrite however often you desire with an event and a script. I do this to review a 24 hour summary of how long each of my HVAC zones run each day.

Bruce

Comment

Originally posted by Otto-mation View Post
      HI folks!

I want to log changing light/lux/luminance values in one of my devices/sensors.
      Possibly every hour to start, just to get a handle on actual values through the day.
      So basically I would want to capture day, time and device/lux value
      (basically it would then be usable to track changing values on *any* device, not just light)
      Can anyone suggest a way to do this?

Thanks
      There are two very good, but different device graphing utilities. I use them both. Jon's is infinitely more configurable, making it a little more challenging to set up. Shill's Device History is a snap to configure and works very well.

Jon00's Database Charting Utility
      SKWare's Device History plug-in

If you are running Linux you will need to see what plug-ins are supported. I think Device History is supported.
      HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.0 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

I agree with Randy, there are good plugins to do this.
        As he stated in his last sentence, if you are running Linux it takes more work. I am running the hometroller Z, which is Linux based and can only use 5 plugins, so I am always looking for scripts and other ways to
        do things. I have my 5 plugins, so I can't add anymore.

Bruce

Comment

Thanks for these suggestions. Very helpful.
          I will start by writing to a virtual device's string to see if that's sufficient for me, and then take it from there.

Comment

Originally posted by rprade View Post
            There are two very good, but different device graphing utilities. I use them both. Jon's is infinitely more configurable, making it a little more challenging to set up. Shill's Device History is a snap to configure and works very well.

Jon00's Database Charting Utility
            SKWare's Device History plug-in

If you are running Linux you will need to see what plug-ins are supported. I think Device History is supported.
            Thanks Randy - since I'm using a Zee, I will try the Device History plugin after I give the virtual device string method a try.

Comment

Working...
            X