X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sparkman View Post
    Hi Bob,

I'm updating my betabrite script to display a stock ticker. Ideally I want to use the SetString method with it, but I need to change the formatting on the fly to change colors if the stocks go negative/positive. Can this only be done with the SetMessage method, or is there a way to include color changes in the SetString method? Below is an example of what the string looks like right now. Advise on how to best to this? Ideally I want to use the SetString method so that the message doesn't restart part way through when the stock prices update.

Thanks
    Al

Code:
    {font=five}{color=orange}BCE-48.99{color=red}-0.36 {color=orange}CSCO-24.83{color=green}+0.12 {color=orange}CVX-132.34{color=green}+0.35 {transition=rollleft}
    Good question.
    You want to update the colors of the stock values on the fly depending on if they are positive or negative. I will have to think about this one.
    Cheers,
    Bob
    Web site | Help Desk | Feature Requests | Message Board

Comment

Originally posted by Blade View Post
      I will have a look and see where that would be. I do not see lines like that in my HS log
      Hey Bob, don't look too hard as it's from the BetaBrite script that I had posted .

Cheers
      Al
      HS 4.2.8.0: 2134 Devices 1252 Events
      Z-Wave 3.0.10.0: 133 Nodes on one Z-Net

Comment

Good question.
        You want to update the colors of the stock values on the fly depending on if they are positive or negative. I will have to think about this one.
        Thanks Bob, yes, update the colors along with the actual stock values.

Thanks
        Al

Comment

Yea not sure off the top of my head
          If you think of anything as well, let me know
          Cheers,
          Bob

Comment

Hey Rick,

Are you using sections of the script that were posted here: http://board.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=167978? It looks like the same format as the debug text I was writing to the HS logs in my betabrite script. You should be able to change debug to false to make it stop or remove the line to write to the HS logs.

Cheers
            Al
            Oh that's funny! Yes, grabbed it Friday night when I started playing with the unit to try to understand why the format tags I was using were not working (I was trying to do what I thought would be simple date/time display!) and ended up using it because it had time in it already. I have heavily modified it since then but never noticed that little Dim debug = True at the top!! That was it - thanks for the pointer!
            Regards,

Rick Tinker (a.k.a. "Tink")

Comment

Thanks Blade. I will run it through tests like the last one when you have it ready.

Comment

Thanks Bob, yes, update the colors along with the actual stock values.

Thanks
                Al
                Not sure about this one.
                I am not sure of a way to update the color without updating the whole text label
                Cheers,
                Bob

Comment

Hi Bob,

I'm updating my betabrite script to display a stock ticker. Ideally I want to use the SetString method with it, but I need to change the formatting on the fly to change colors if the stocks go negative/positive. Can this only be done with the SetMessage method, or is there a way to include color changes in the SetString method? Below is an example of what the string looks like right now. Advise on how to best to this? Ideally I want to use the SetString method so that the message doesn't restart part way through when the stock prices update.

Thanks
                  Al

Code:
                  {font=five}{color=orange}BCE-48.99{color=red}-0.36 {color=orange}CSCO-24.83{color=green}+0.12 {color=orange}CVX-132.34{color=green}+0.35 {transition=rollleft}
                  Al,

I'm only guessing here that Blade is using the same code I did on my Snevl_BB for HS2 (I hope he is - I gave it to him to use it!). I'm pretty sure the formatting within a string just inherits the formatting around where the string is inserted. However, you could experiment a bit.

First, you can try to include formatting in the string. Do it in a script, and use some If / Then / Else to define the formatting in the string based on the stock change. You can test it by simply hard coding the string to include a {color=...} in it.

If you only had a few stocks, you could also have different labels set up for stock increases and decreases, and change the sequence based on what went up vs down. That sounds pretty impractical when you get to more than 2-3 stocks.

Steve

Comment

Thanks Steve,

I have about 50 stocks that I want to set up on the ticker so individual strings labels won't work, but perhaps I can split them across a number of them. I have the function working to create and format the ticker and have it displaying using a text label, but when I tried it with a string label, all I got was a blank screen. I assumed it was because it was either to big, or contained the color formatting. I'll try it with some smaller strings to see how that goes.

Cheers
                    Al

Comment

Originally posted by Rick Tinker View Post
                      Oh that's funny! Yes, grabbed it Friday night when I started playing with the unit to try to understand why the format tags I was using were not working (I was trying to do what I thought would be simple date/time display!) and ended up using it because it had time in it already. I have heavily modified it since then but never noticed that little Dim debug = True at the top!! That was it - thanks for the pointer!
                      No worries, glad I could help you for once, instead of you always helping me

Cheers
                      Al

Comment

Originally posted by stevea View Post
                        Al,

I'm only guessing here that Blade is using the same code I did on my Snevl_BB for HS2 (I hope he is - I gave it to him to use it!). I'm pretty sure the formatting within a string just inherits the formatting around where the string is inserted. However, you could experiment a bit.

First, you can try to include formatting in the string. Do it in a script, and use some If / Then / Else to define the formatting in the string based on the stock change. You can test it by simply hard coding the string to include a {color=...} in it.

If you only had a few stocks, you could also have different labels set up for stock increases and decreases, and change the sequence based on what went up vs down. That sounds pretty impractical when you get to more than 2-3 stocks.

Steve
                        Steve,

I had most things coded but you definitely did help me by sharing it and I appreciate it. I was able to discover an issue I had when setting text labels. I was missing one line of code and that caused me some grief for a couple days. Once again, thanks Steve

I created special tag processing for the string labels so if color tags are to be used in the string labels I may need to change to change the opening and closing tags of the special string tags.

sparkman,

Let me know what you find out.

I will not be doing too much today with it as it is our anniversary and I want to make it another year
                        Cheers,
                        Bob

Comment

The special string tag opening and closing characters are going to change in 1.0.38

The new format for special string tags will be:

[devicevalue=B1|update=onchange]

You will need to update your string values if you are using these tags.
                          Cheers,
                          Bob

Comment

I posted 1.0.38 to the HS3 updater

See this thread:

http://forums.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=168329
                            Cheers,
                            Bob

Comment

sparkman,

Let me know what you find out.

I will not be doing too much today with it as it is our anniversary and I want to make it another year
                              Thanks Bob, will do. Enjoy the day.

Cheers
                              Al

Comment

Originally posted by Rick Tinker View Post
                                ... The multi-instance support should however allow you to connect your display to a computer OTHER than your HomeSeer system, but still have HomeSeer and the plug-in communicate.
                                Ok, I'll bite. What is needed on the 2nd machine for this work properly?
                                -Skybolt

Comment

Working...
                                X