Disable a node without removing it

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Disable a node without removing it

Hi, I'm using a Z-net interface (eu), works fine, until after christmas I removed my decorative lamps from the garden, and unplugged the z-wave switches that controls everything. Since then my z-wave network seems very slow. Is it possible to disable z-wave switches(or other devices like testing devices) without removing the nodes? I believe they're "holding up" the traffic.
    BTW: as far as I can remember none of them has a polling value, will double check later.
    Thanks!

Regards,
    E

Yes, you should definitely make sure HS is not trying to poll the powered down devices.

The other thing you could do is perform a Full Optimize to ensure none of the other devices would know of the device you have powered down. If the other deivces have the Christmas device in their neighbour table then they may try to use it to route signals which causes slowdowns.
    Nicolai L

Comment

just to be sure: polling can only be enabled/disabled in the " modify devices" z-wave tab, for the root device only I assume? Or are there other places to look?
      Isn't it possible to disable a device completely without removing it, so I can enable it next christmas when it will be powered again?

Is there a way to measure/debuglog what is holding up the commands? Sometimes when I switch on all lights in the living room the Hue lights start immediately, while z-wave devices takes 5 to 10 seconds (both controlled by the same scene).

Comment

You can set up polling via either the root device or the individual child devices. You could also set up polling via events if you really wanted...

I can't see a way to disable a device per-se. The ZWave network is a standalone network in it's own right, with your HS server as the main controller. I don't know of any ZWave commands that disables devices. They are in theory all meant to be live as they are supporting the commincation mesh that ZW relies on.

If you have delays in your ZW network then start by doing a couple of Full Optimizations to clear out any invalid routes and see if that helps.
        Nicolai L

Comment

ok, I tried one full optimization, and doesn't it run every night in the maintenance schedule (Z-health)?
          Maybe i should run a few more. What should I look for in the results? Dead nodes (how do i recognize them, no last path or something?)?

Comment

Originally posted by erdek View Post
            ok, I tried one full optimization, and doesn't it run every night in the maintenance schedule (Z-health)?
            Maybe i should run a few more. What should I look for in the results? Dead nodes (how do i recognize them, no last path or something?)?
            Yes, I believe Z-Health does do an optimization, so perhaps that is not where your issue lies.

Have a look the log for ZWave errors and warnings to see if you can spot any problems.

You can also take a look at the Z-Wave/Node Information page where you can see the neighbour that each node knows of. If any of these nodes has knowledge of a node that does not exist/is not powered then that could cause an issue.

Another (somewhat more painful way) is to go to the ZWave tab of each root device and click on Audit This Node. That will give you a good representation of any invalid nodes and associations.
            Nicolai L

Comment

I think you can change the node id under modify device to No_Node_ID. But make a note of what it used to be so you can change it back, this will get homeseer to effectively ignore it, however you still need to optimize your network as neighbors may still try to route through it.

I just leave appliance or lamp modules that I'm not currently using plugged in somewhere. Their not hurting anything and I don't have to mess with an otherwise stable network.
              https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/de...plifier-plugin

Comment

How do you re-introduce a z wave node after it has been set to No_Node_ID?

Steve

Comment

Seriously, I don't think this will work. Setting the root device to "No_NODE_ID" will break the link between homeseer and the node, but the controller (Z-NET) still thinks the node is present in the network and might try to pass messages through it. As this won't work, the network will remain sluggish...

This is why I'm using RF or even X10 for Christmas lights. It doesn't mess with the Z-wave network, Z-wave is meant to be "stationary".

Failing the RF/X10 route, the second best thing would be to exclude the node and and reinclude it at the end of November.
                  HSPro 3.0.0.458, Z-NET with Z-wave plugin 3.0.1.190, RFXCOM + 2x RFXtrx433E, HSTouch, Squeezebox plugin, iTach IP/WF2IR & GC-100-6 with UltraGCIR, BLDenon, NetcamStudio, Jon00s Webpage builder, Harmony Hub plugin, SCSIP (with FreePBX), Arduino plugin, IFTTT, Pushalot plugin, Device History plugin.
                  Running on Windows 10 (64) virtualized
                  on ESXi (Fujitsu Primergy TX150 S8).
                  WinSeer (for Win10) - TextSeer - FitbitSeer - HSPI_MoskusSample

Are you Norwegian (or Scandinavian) and getting started with HomeSeer? Read the "HomeSeer School"!

Comment

If I 'remove a bad node' then I assume it will remove the references in both the z wave gateway and homeseer so there should be no issue. If I then re-introduce that node does it then reassign the same descriptions as previously used?

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by theendisnye View Post
                      If I 'remove a bad node' then I assume it will remove the references in both the z wave gateway and homeseer so there should be no issue.
                      Yes.

Originally posted by theendisnye View Post
                      If I then re-introduce that node does it then reassign the same descriptions as previously used?
                      No.
                      HomeSeer will treat it like a brand new node and re-create all devices.

You might be able to mode that new node number over to the old device on the root menu, but I have never tested this myself. However, I assume there's a reason we actually can change this ourselves...
                      HSPro 3.0.0.458, Z-NET with Z-wave plugin 3.0.1.190, RFXCOM + 2x RFXtrx433E, HSTouch, Squeezebox plugin, iTach IP/WF2IR & GC-100-6 with UltraGCIR, BLDenon, NetcamStudio, Jon00s Webpage builder, Harmony Hub plugin, SCSIP (with FreePBX), Arduino plugin, IFTTT, Pushalot plugin, Device History plugin.
                      Running on Windows 10 (64) virtualized
                      on ESXi (Fujitsu Primergy TX150 S8).
                      WinSeer (for Win10) - TextSeer - FitbitSeer - HSPI_MoskusSample

Are you Norwegian (or Scandinavian) and getting started with HomeSeer? Read the "HomeSeer School"!

Comment

Thanks

Steve

Comment

See if this makes sense: https://forums.homeseer.com/showthre...17#post1309417

Comment

Working...
                          X