2Gig CT30 Turns on, then off, then on HVAC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2Gig CT30 Turns on, then off, then on HVAC

I have had my CT30 installed for a few months. It works good with Homeseer. My problem is that the CT30 will tell the furnace to turn on, then a minute or 2 will tell it to turn off, then a moment after that, tell it to turn on again.

The big problem with this is that the ingniter goes thru an extra cycle each time, so it is going to wear out prematurely.

Obviously this is not normal. I am wondering if I got a defective one. Anyone else notice this behavior?

Also - I do have the setting for the threshold (not sure what it is called) at the stock 1.5 degrees. I tried 2 degrees, but it acted the same.

I've not read where this has ever been reported. Is the unit running on batteries or hardwired? Did this just start happening?
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Originally posted by Rupp View Post
      I've not read where this has ever been reported. Is the unit running on batteries or hardwired? Did this just start happening?
      I am pretty sure it always did it. It is hardwired.

Comment

I have one running on batteries and I'm sitting here listening to it click every few seconds. The temp keeps fluctuating between 66.5 and 67 degrees every five seconds or so (the setpoint is 67 and swing is .5) so it just keeps clicking on and off. Is this normal? Is that click I hear actually the heat being turned on and off. I thought once the heat cycled on it was supposed to stay on for at least a few minutes. The constant clicking it getting pretty damn annoying.

I've got to say the CT30 is turning out to be a big disappointment. It doesn't report properly if the heat is on or off, it doesn't report battery level which is extra annoying since it chews through batteries pretty quickly.

Comment

Originally posted by Thrag View Post
          I have one running on batteries and I'm sitting here listening to it click every few seconds. The temp keeps fluctuating between 66.5 and 67 degrees every five seconds or so (the setpoint is 67 and swing is .5) so it just keeps clicking on and off. Is this normal? Is that click I hear actually the heat being turned on and off. I thought once the heat cycled on it was supposed to stay on for at least a few minutes. The constant clicking it getting pretty damn annoying.

I've got to say the CT30 is turning out to be a big disappointment. It doesn't report properly if the heat is on or off, it doesn't report battery level which is extra annoying since it chews through batteries pretty quickly.
          You really need to give these power using a transformer or the "c" wire if you want to be able to poll it often to get the correct settings.

Comment

Originally posted by Rupp View Post
            You really need to give these power using a transformer or the "c" wire if you want to be able to poll it often to get the correct settings.
            Well, that defeats the whole purpose of a battery operated thermostat. The extra expense of tearing up walls to run power to each zone thermostat is prohibitive.

Comment

Originally posted by Thrag View Post
              Well, that defeats the whole purpose of a battery operated thermostat. The extra expense of tearing up walls to run power to each zone thermostat is prohibitive.
              Yep, and the fact that it is battery operated is why it lacks many of the battery eating options.

Comment

How often are you polling your Thermostat?

Comment

I'm currently polling every 10 minutes. I got about three months out of a set of batteries. The battery life isn't my main issue. I can live with swapping batteries every three months, it would be much nicer if the unit reported a battery level however. Currently it seems the only way to know that the batteries are dying is to look at the screen on the unit.

The weird clicking every few seconds hasn't happened again since the other day when I reported it (at least not when I've been in the room). I had just changed the batteries on the unit so maybe that had something to do with it. I imagine my small swing temp might confuse it, if the unit reports half degrees with nothing in between if the temp is right on the borderline maybe that caused the rapid switching, still I thought the stat was supposed to run for a minimum of a few minutes once tripped. If it happens again I'll increase the swing temp. I have it set low since at higher settings the heat overshoots more due to the nature of my heating system (radiant floors).

All I really need is a very simple zone thermostat, the CT30 is too much for my needs in some ways. It handles all different heating and cooling systems where all I need is a simple single relay zone thermostat. It has the nice screen and is programmable but I don't need any of that. However it does too little on the z-wave end, not reporting when or if the heat is on or off and not reporting battery level. For a regular house with a typical heating and/or AC system run by a single thermostat the CT30 seems great. For my multi-zone, no c-wire, radiant floor system I'm going to have wait for a different product. While searching recently I saw that Danfoss makes a battery operated z-wave stat for their radiator line in Europe, I can only hope they come up with a z-wave version of their RET-B thermostats that I'm currently using.

Comment

Working...
                  X