OK, what happens when we pass away

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OK, what happens when we pass away

I have a pretty fully automated my home, about to perfect it more by installing a new dedicated HS computer.

A sad thought occurred to me, should I pass away.

How does the person I have left behind cope with HS as they no nothing about it or computers?

You my friends would not even know as it would appear I have just stopped posting.

Eventually the batteries will go flat in the sensors, HS WILL crash at some point.

I have a few HS friends in Scotland not so far from me and I think I will give my partner there contact details in that hopefully they will help if it was to happen (have not asked them yet).

Any thoughts about how to cover this eventual situation?
    sigpic
    A founder member of "The HA Pioneer Group" otherwise known as the "Old farts club!"

What a light-hearted topic for April fool's day!

The best I have been able to come up with is to have a plan. Make those who will be affected aware of your plan. (Extra points for seeking their input on the plan and its implications.) Take the necessary steps to implement your plan, so that when you are no longer there your heirs can follow up.
    Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
    HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

Gogs; It's so simple. Live forever. That's my plan anyway.
      Don

Comment

What wouldn't work if HomeSeer wasn't running? For me a few lights wouldn't automatically come on but they would still be controllable from the switches. My thermostat wouldn't auto set back/up but would still be controllable. I'm not sure if anything would be that dramatic. You can test this easily. Shut down HomeSeer a few days and see how the house reacts.
        💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Originally posted by donstephens View Post
          Gogs; It's so simple. Live forever. That's my plan anyway.
          So far, so good... Right?

My plan is to have me restored from a recent backup.
          Real courage is not securing your Wi-Fi network.

Comment

That's why we always back up.

Originally posted by Wadenut View Post
            So far, so good... Right?

My plan is to have me restored from a recent backup.
            Don

Comment

You should transform yourself into a plugin and let the community maintain you...
              HW: HS3 w/ Win8.1 on ASRock C2550d4i. Digi AnywhereUSB, Hubport, Edgeport, UZB, Z-trollers, PLCBUS, SONOS, GC-100, iTach IP2SL, WF2IR, IP2IR, RFXtrx433, Harmony Hubs, Hue, Ademco Vista 128BP, NetAtmo, NetAtmo Welcome

Google Search for HomeSeer Forum

Comment

As always, Sheldon Cooper has the answer:
                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGLmKYoNttI
                HSPro 3.0.0.458, Z-NET with Z-wave plugin 3.0.1.190, RFXCOM + 2x RFXtrx433E, HSTouch, Squeezebox plugin, iTach IP/WF2IR & GC-100-6 with UltraGCIR, BLDenon, NetcamStudio, Jon00s Webpage builder, Harmony Hub plugin, SCSIP (with FreePBX), Arduino plugin, IFTTT, Pushalot plugin, Device History plugin.
                Running on Windows 10 (64) virtualized
                on ESXi (Fujitsu Primergy TX150 S8).
                WinSeer (for Win10) - TextSeer - FitbitSeer - HSPI_MoskusSample

Are you Norwegian (or Scandinavian) and getting started with HomeSeer? Read the "HomeSeer School"!

Comment

Unlike Rupp, I have a lot of stuff that is exclusively controlled by Homeseer. My outdoor landscape lighting, several ceiling fans, attic fan, several motion sensor lights, and the bathroom floor heat are controlled by Homeseer. Some are X10 some are z-wave. So when Homeseer is down there are a lot of things that will not work. The most noticable is the downstairs bathroom light which is controlled by an X10 motion sensor but needs the W800 connected to Homeseer to receive the signal.

So, if I am unable to keep Homeseer running, someone would have to hire an electrician to install manual switches for many devices in the house.

I have put together an "operating manual" for my system that could guide a computer knowledgeable person to restart the system and perform basic troubleshooting.

Also I am gradually "converting" my son to home automation. He has already installed some of my old X10 modules, and I think his house will become more automated in the years to come.

Steve Q
                  HomeSeer Version: HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.368, Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 - Home, Number of Devices: 373, Number of Events: 666, Enabled Plug-Ins
                  2.0.83.0: BLRF, 2.0.10.0: BLUSBUIRT, 3.0.0.75: HSTouch Server, 3.0.0.58: mcsXap, 3.0.0.11: NetCAM, 3.0.0.36: X10, 3.0.1.25: Z-Wave,Alexa,HomeKit

Comment

My set-up gets pretty high WAF, but at this point HS is still too high maintenance to think it could go on after I'm gone. My wife has been making increasing noise about us moving to a warmer place when I retire in a few years, and I've actually been thinking about how hard it will be to take out all the automation. Some of what I have is probably in violation of code (e.g., running CAT5 through the cold air return ducts), so I'd almost have to rip it out.

It's difficult thinking about giving up a hobby, but I'd have a hard time convincing myself to start from scratch on a new house.

Obviously my goal is to live long enough to make it into a new house, although I guess kicking the bucket would get me out of the chore of ripping out the automation!

Steve

Comment

If I can, I'll come back from "beyond" and start firing up events just for the fun of it.

Comment

Originally posted by bernieb View Post
                        If I can, I'll come back from "beyond" and start firing up events just for the fun of it.
                        Ahhh! You may be on to something!

Assuming HS could stay up for a while, you could use Death Switch (http://deathswitch.com/) to send an email to you HS machine, and you could have HS set to do all sorts of things. Gosh, this is just so troubling....

Steve

Comment

I actually recently began the "If I die" file folder, because I realized that I handle all the finances, tech, etc. My wife likes it that way, and I don't mind doing it. The downside is that if I were to finally see Jesus face to face I'd leave a lovely woman completely unequipped to get on with life. So many websites, passwords, account numbers, etc.

And while preparing all of this I started thinking the same as Gogs - what happens to Alfred? So I asked my bride, and she said, "take him with you" :-).

So I contacted a local HomeSeer user I know and trust, and asked him if he'd mind being the one to fulfill her wishes regarding Alfred, should something happen (who knows, maybe by then she'll want to keep him around).

So now it's up to me to make sure to document everything well enough so that this kind HS user will be able to succeed. All I have to do for my wife is give her his number and email address - it's in the same folder as all the websites, passwords, etc.

Ian
                          Plugins:
                          BLLogMonitor, BLGarbage, BLBackup, BLOutGoingCalls, BLUps, BLRfid, JvEss, DooMotion, Applied Digital Ocelot, AC RF Processor, UltraMon, PJC AVR 430, UPB, Rain8net, DSC Panel, JRiver Media center, Windows Media Player, SageMediaCenter, SnevlCID, MCSTemperature.

Comment

HS doesnt affect the household other than the automation module would keep giving beeps.. so wife would disable speaker till someone came out and removed the superbus from the concord 4..

and my wife would then be yelling that the lights were left on again...
                            HW - i5 4570T @2.9ghz runs @11w | 8gb ram | 128gb ssd OS - Win10 x64

HS - HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435

Plugins - BLRF 2.0.94.0 | Concord 4 3.1.13.10 | HSBuddy 3.9.605.5 | HSTouch Server 3.0.0.68 | RFXCOM 30.0.0.36 | X10 3.0.0.36 | Z-Wave 3.0.1.190

Hardware - EdgePort/4 DB9 Serial | RFXCOM 433MHz USB Transceiver | Superbus 2000 for Concord 4 | TI103 X-10 Interface | WGL Designs W800 RF | Z-Net Z-Wave Interface

Comment

Just make sure if you are putting things in a safety deposit box, that it doesn't get locked out in the event of death. I know that if both my wife and I go, the safety deposit box we wanted, would have been locked up until the estate was settled (understandibly, they don't want people to loot the box before the estate provides material possesions as it is supposed to).

--Dan
                              Tasker, to a person who does Homeautomation...is like walking up to a Crack Treatment facility with a truck full of 3lb bags of crack. Then for each person that walks in and out smack them in the face with an open bag.

Comment

Working...
                              X