This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HS3 Development FAQ

This FAQ will summarize the changes in HS3 that affect developers of Plugins, scripts, web pages, etc.

Q: Will the plugin/scripting API change?
    A: Yes, full details of the changes are not yet available, but a survey was sent out to get feedback from developers. Based on the results, we will finalize the API.

Q: Are there architecture changes in HS3 that affect the API?
    A: Yes, the following are some of the major changes:

* Device status is gone, only device value is available. Value pairs are used to represent device status such as ON=1, Off=0, etc.
    * Device control is done use the CAPI api. This API was introduced in HS2, but has been expanded. Old functions like ExecX10 have been removed.
    * Plugins are now EXE's, rather than DLL's. This will help increase reliability and also make it easier to debug. Also, plugins can run on other PC's on the network or over the Internet.

Q: Is Linux supported?
    A: Yes, Linux is supported using MONO. This allows .NET code to be run. Run your plugin under MOMA to see if it is using an incompatible API's. http://www.mono-project.com/MoMA

Q: Is VBScript supported?
    A: Right now, No. Only vb.net, and later C# scripting is supported. VBScript is not supported on Linux.

Q: Is ASP support for web pages?
    A: No, not classic ASP. This requires the VBScript engine which is not supported on Linux.

Q: Is ASP.NET supported?
    A: Yes. This is fully supported on both Windows and Linux.

Q: Is there an alternate method to create web pages?
    A: Yes. We have created classes that allow you to create robust HTML5 compatible web pages with full jquery support. We provide API's to a rich set of screen elements. No javascript or jquery experience is required.

Q: Will my scripts have to change?
    A: If they are written in VBScript, then yes, they need to be converted to vb.net. If they are written in VB.NET then they will just need some minor modifications as the scripting API has changed.

Q: Will my vb.net scripts run under Linux?
    A: Yes.

Q: I want my plugin and scripts to run under Linux, but I know nothing about Linux and I don't know how to install it. How can I test my code?
    A: We will provide a virtual machine file that you can simply download and run. This will provide a complete test environment for you.
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

is there any status update possible on HS3 development advances ?

Comment

We are getting close to getting out the SDK for 3rd party plugin developers, that is the next milestone.

Originally posted by wetlip View Post
      is there any status update possible on HS3 development advances ?

Comment

Originally posted by rjh View Post
        We are getting close to getting out the SDK for 3rd party plugin developers, that is the next milestone.
        Is this available yet? Was hoping to play with it during my time off over the holidays.

-Denis Burke

Comment

Yes, email developers@homeseer.com and we will get you access.

Comment

I think I am one of the very few that has many HS scripts in perl. I am optimistically hoping that perl will still be supported in HS3 since perl is a far more commonly used language on Linux than on Windows.

Can anyone say if perl is expected to be supported in HS3?

Thanks,

Lou

Comment

Perl will work on Windows, but not on Linux right now. I realize Linux supports perl but we are using a Windows scripting host to run the process. You can launch a perl script from HS but I am not sure how it can access the scripting API.

Comment

Thanks for the quick response, even if it was not the answer I was hoping for.

I think it is unfortunate since it is (at least in my opinion) a very easy scripting language that could replace VBScript as a pretty easy way to script HS. It has worked very well for me in HS2.

Thanks again,

Lou

Comment

One last question (for now), I was under the impression that HS3 was Linux only (though maybe I am wrong), is it going to run on Windows as well (and continue to support perl on the Windows version)?

Lou

Comment

Originally posted by gerlin View Post
                    One last question (for now), I was under the impression that HS3 was Linux only (though maybe I am wrong), is it going to run on Windows as well (and continue to support perl on the Windows version)?

Lou
                    HS3 will be Windows and Linux, so under Windows you can still run your perl scripts.
                    HS Pro 3.0 | Linux Ubuntu 16.04 x64 virtualized under Proxmox (KVM)
                    Hardware: Z-NET - W800 Serial - Digi PortServer TS/8 and TS/16 serial to Ethernet - Insteon PLM - RFXCOM - X10 Wireless
                    Plugins: HSTouch iOS and Android, RFXCOM, BlueIris, BLLock, BLDSC, BLRF, Insteon PLM (MNSandler), Device History, Ecobee, BLRing, Kodi, UltraWeatherWU3
                    Second home: Zee S2 with Z-Wave, CT101 Z-Wave Thermostat, Aeotec Z-Wave microswitches, HSM200 occupancy sensor, Ecolink Z-Wave door sensors, STI Driveway Monitor interfaced to Zee S2 GPIO pins.

Comment

The problem is that the scripting in windows is hosted using Windows Scritping Host, and this exposes our API to the script engine. This is not available on Linux, but I will research and see if there is a way to interface to Perl or Python from our application.

Originally posted by gerlin View Post
                      Thanks for the quick response, even if it was not the answer I was hoping for.

I think it is unfortunate since it is (at least in my opinion) a very easy scripting language that could replace VBScript as a pretty easy way to script HS. It has worked very well for me in HS2.

Thanks again,

Lou

Comment

Hopefully this is doable. I couldn't imagine a Linux program that can't run python scripts...Perl would be cool too though.

Comment

Where can I find the HS3 plugin API documentation ?

Comment

Originally posted by kriz83 View Post
                            Where can I find the HS3 plugin API documentation ?
                            http://homeseer.com/support/homeseer...DK/default.htm
                            Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5
                            Hardware: Insteon Serial PLM | AD2USB for Vista Alarm | HAI Omnistat2 | 1-Wire HA7E | RFXrec433 | Dahua Cameras | LiftMaster Internet Gateway | Tuya Smart Plugs
                            Plugins: Insteon (mine) | Vista Alarm (mine) | Omnistat 3 | Ultra1Wire3 | RFXCOM | HS MyQ | BLRadar | BLDenon | Tuya | Jon00 Charting | Jon00 Links
                            Platform: Windows Server 2022 Standard, i5-12600K/3.7GHz/10 core, 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD

Comment

Any chance that we could get more information on the jquery feature?
                              Last edited by bernieb; October 7, 2013, 09:06 PM. Reason: spelling mistake

Comment

Working...
                              X