Vera 2?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vera 2?

I'm a long-time HS2 user. However I've been looking for a standalone solution for a while, and considered setting up a dedicated netbook, but that still means a windows license and supporting that machine.

I was at CES last week, and ran across the MiCasaVerde Vera2, which is a dedicate device with a web interface. It looked pretty good there, but i was wondering if anyone here has any experience with it?

Thanks in advance for any feedback!

Never used it personally but I have seen a few people join these forums and in there initial post they state that the reason they are here is that their Vera system was unreliable.

Comment

You might check over at www.cocoontech.com.
      Don

Comment

I own a Vera 1. I don't use it.

Regards
        Morten

Comment

Stay away from Vera 2

I personally own a Vera 2 since mid September 2010.

It never worked reliably and is now completely dead since December 3rd.

MiCasaVerde is not replying to my e-mails to resolve the issue.

The best thing I did was buying HSPRO.

Don't just take my word, visit http://forum.micasaverde.com and see for yourself.

Mike.

Comment

I've had Vera working for a few years, first a Vera 1 then Vera 2. I use it for basic control and monitoring of a second (vacation) home 750 miles away. I control a number of lights and two WD thermostats.

Overall, aside from an occasional need to reboot, it works. You must apply the KISS principle to Vera and don't try to do too much with it. HS2 is a much more capable system, but there is the dedicated hardware issue that has to be considered.

For now, I'm keeping my Remote Vera, and my local HS2 we'll see when the new Homeseer controller comes out if Vera still makes sense or if I should just migrate over.

Hope this was helpful,
            Anthony

Comment

Anthony hit the nail on the head with Vera. KISS principle. I have been running Vera since Nov of 2008. There have been struggles along the way. It has limited memory so you don't want to be doing a lot exotic things with it. If your looking for standard lighting and HVAC it's a good fit. If you want it to do more like audio/video control I would look at HS.

Comment

Working...
              X