I get the yellow triangle trying to set up an event

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I get the yellow triangle trying to set up an event

Trying to create an event that is seasonal in nature - turning holiday lights on and off. I would like this event to fire between November 30 and January 10 each year.

What I have actually done is created the Event Category Seasonal Events, and given it Group Conditions. This is in case I create other events that need to fire during this time period.

I created an event in this category called "Holiday Lights On" that controls the scene Holiday Lights. The logic is:
    IF This event is manually triggered 'more on this later
    THEN Set Device Scene Holiday Lights to On

Simple enough, but then I want to give the Seasonal Events category Group Conditions:
    IF The date is after 11/30/Y
    AND IF The date is before 1/10/Y

When I close up the Group Conditions, I get the Warning symbol. Sounds like I have not defined the dates correctly? Or I'm not understanding the use of Group Conditions?

Jim Speiser
    38-year veteran of Home Automation
    Still don't know squat

Originally posted by JimSpy View Post
    . . . but then I want to give the Seasonal Events category Group Conditions:
    IF The date is after 11/30/Y
    AND IF The date is before 1/10/Y
    When I close up the Group Conditions, I get the Warning symbol.
    Try an OR IF instead of AND IF. The year is defined in HS as beginning on 1/1, so a date cannot be after 11/30 AND before 1/10, because that will require the date to be in two years at the same time.
    Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
    HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Michael View Post
      Try an OR IF instead of AND IF. The year is defined in HS as beginning on 1/1, so a date cannot be after 11/30 AND before 1/10, because that will require the date to be in two years at the same time.
      I thought that MIGHT be it, but I tried it and still get the warning.

Jim Speiser
      Still don't know squat

Comment

Is it possible to say "BEFORE 01/10/Y+1" or something like it? I think the problem is that we're crossing into another year...

Jim Speiser
        Still don't know squat

Comment

Is it possible to say "BEFORE 01/10/Y+1" or something like it? I think the problem is that we're crossing into another year...
          Hmm. That would be I surprise, but I suppose anything is possible. If you can't find a combination that works, here's something else to try.

Create a device called 'Holiday' or something. Turn it on Nov 30, then off on Jan 10. You can then use that device's state as a condition in events.

I'm suspicious that it's the fact that it's a group condition that is the problem.
          Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
          HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

The exclamation mark means you have set group conditions, but have not applied them to any events.

In order for group conditions to apply EVERY event within the group you wish to have them applied to must declare it with

AND IF The Group Conditions are all TRUE (or FALSE)

More in this post.

Uncle Michael is correct about using OR IF in group conditions to cross the end of year constraint. This is a nuance to group conditions that was just pointed out to me a couple of weeks ago. It ONLY works in group conditions and is really quite useful. I haven't gotten around to updating the thread in the Event Clinic, but hope to soon.
            HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.16 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

Originally posted by rprade View Post
              The exclamation mark means you have set group conditions, but have not applied them to any events.

In order for group conditions to apply EVERY event within the group you wish to have them applied to must declare it with

AND IF The Group Conditions are all TRUE (or FALSE)

More in this post.

Uncle Michael is correct about using OR IF in group conditions to cross the end of year constraint. This is a nuance to group conditions that was just pointed out to me a couple of weeks ago. It ONLY works in group conditions and is really quite useful. I haven't gotten around to updating the thread in the Event Clinic, but hope to soon.
              There's an Event Clinic? Details please! And thanks for the info!

Jim Speiser
              Still don't know squat

Comment

Yeah. It has a forum unto itself. Under the HS3 section. The new event engine is complicated!
                Originally posted by rprade
                There is no rhyme or reason to the anarchy a defective Z-Wave device can cause

Comment

OK, so I added:
                  AND IF The group conditions are all true
                  THEN Set device Holiday Lights to ON

The lights are turned on in my Half Hour Before Sunset event:

IF The time is 30m, 0s before sunset
                  THEN Set Device Scene Half Hour Before Sunset to ON
                  THEN Run Event Seasonal Events Holiday Lights On

Now the Holiday Lights event is called from something; so that should get rid of the warning?

Jim Speiser
                  Still don't know squat

Comment

Originally posted by S-F View Post
                    Yeah. It has a forum unto itself. Under the HS3 section. The new event engine is complicated!
                    Ya think??

Jim Speiser
                    Still don't know squat

Comment

OK, so I added:

Now the Holiday Lights event is called from something; so that should get rid of the warning?
                      The answer seems to be "yes", judging from the green check mark!

Jim Speiser
                      Still don't know squat

Comment

Ya think??

It's elaborate, that's for sure. And that's why we use HomeSeer! I have found personally that once I got the basic gist of the event creation engine, the world was my oyster.

Comment

Yes there is, it is a HS3 / HS3 Pro section subforum. I haven't put a lot of new posts up lately, but I have a bunch more to do. I have been slammed by my real job Look for it to grow in the next 30-60 days.

Comment

OK, so I added:

The exclamation will will be gone in the group where the first event is located because group conditions were specifically used in that event - it has nothing to do with the Holiday Lights event being called from something.

From the post I pointed you to above: "If you have created Group Conditions, but they are not applied to any events within that group, you will get a waning triangle. As is the case of most icons on the event management page, if you hover over the triangle you will get a tool tip explaining the meaning."

Comment

Ya think??

It's elaborate, that's for sure. And that's why we use HomeSeer! I have found personally that once I got the basic gist of the event creation engine, the world was my oyster.

Comment

Working...
                              X