Cannot do conditions tests when Alexa, or Google, activated an event

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cannot do conditions tests when Alexa, or Google, activated an event

I've found what I think is a serious problem when controlling scenes using Alexa and I assume Google as well.

The BUG, well maybe more of a request:
    When Alexa activates an event there isn't any way to test conditions to see if you want the event to actually preform its function as you can when an event calls an event.

Example, If I have a device that when you push the button once goes to state "A" and when you press it again it goes to state "B" I may want to test its current state before actually triggering the action. Such a device would be a garage door. If the door is already closed you don't want to trigger the relay that will push the button because if you do the door will open.

The FIX:
    Add a check box next to the Voice Command field which is marked "Execute only if conditions are true" This would be the equivalent to the flag when an event calls an event. Then you can add conditions to control if the event should execute.
    Last edited by Timon; June 19, 2018, 10:20 PM.
    HomeSeer Version: HS3 Standard Edition 3.0.0.548
    Linux version: Linux auto 4.15.0-72-generic #81-Ubuntu SMP Tue Nov 26 12:20:02 UTC 2019 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
    Number of Devices: 484 | Number of Events: 776

Enabled Plug-Ins: 3.0.0.13: AirplaySpeak | 2.0.61.0: BLBackup
    3.0.0.70: EasyTrigger | 1.3.7006.42100: LiftMaster MyQ
    4.2.3.0: mcsMQTT | 3.0.0.53: PHLocation2 | 0.0.0.47: Pushover 3P
    3.0.0.16: RaspberryIO | 3.0.1.262: Z-Wave

Z-Net version: 1.0.23 for Inclusion Nodes
    SmartStick+: 6.04 (ZDK 6.81.3) on Server

Originally posted by Timon View Post
    I've found what I think is a serious problem when controlling scenes using Alexa and I assume Google as well.

The BUG:
    When Alexa activates an event there isn't any way to test conditions to see if you want the event to actually preform its function as you can when an event calls an event.

Example, If I have a device that when you push the button once goes to state "A" and when you press it again it goes to state "B" I may want to test its current state before actually triggering the action. Such a device would be a garage door. If the door is already closed you don't want to trigger the relay that will push the button because if you do the door will open.

The FIX:
    Add a check box next to the Voice Command field which is marked "Execute only if conditions are true" This would be the equivalent to the flag when an event calls an event. Then you can add conditions to control if the event should execute.
    I'm not sure I understand you but what I think your doing is manually running an event and expecting it to run the conditions. This dont even happen if an event is launched by the Run Event button. Both the Trigger and all the Conditions are ignored.

I think your going to have to create an alexa event that runs your main event and in the alexa event you can specify that the conditions be observed by using the advanced option "Run Only If Other Event Conditions Are TRUE"

See this for more info.
    https://forums.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=174310

Comment

Originally posted by integlikewhoa View Post
      I'm not sure I understand you but what I think your doing is manually running an event and expecting it to run the conditions. This dont even happen if an event is launched by the Run Event button. Both the Trigger and all the Conditions are ignored.

I think your going to have to create an alexa event that runs your main event and in the alexa event you can specify that the conditions be observed by using the advanced option "Run Only If Other Event Conditions Are TRUE"

See this for more info.
      https://forums.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=174310
      You're correct that you can make two events, and I can, and have, done it that way. However, that is a more cluttered way to do it and it seems that just adding an optional have voice events check conditions would be thing a lot cleaner.
      Linux version: Linux auto 4.15.0-72-generic #81-Ubuntu SMP Tue Nov 26 12:20:02 UTC 2019 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Comment

Originally posted by Timon View Post
        You're correct that you can make two events, and I can, and have, done it that way. However, that is a more cluttered way to do it and it seems that just adding an optional have voice events check conditions would be thing a lot cleaner.
        I think your missing the bigger picture. The issue has nothing to do with voice. Double events are required for manual events too and that's way before Alexa or Google home were out. Your solution is not a complete fix for the issue even if it is in your case.

Comment

I understand what you're saying however I would contend that the voice request is the initial trigger exactly the same as the initial IF Phrase is.

In fact if you follow that concept then you shouldn't even need a check box and if you add any conditions after the IF Manually Triggered, they would always be evaluated exactly like HS voice response is. This would include ORIFs as well. The main reason to have the checkbox would be backwards compatibly.

The main issue here is that you have builtin HS voice response that works one way and Alexa and Google voice commands that work totally differently way. This can be, and I contend will be, confusing.

Comment

Working...
          X