System Offline Notification?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

System Offline Notification?

I live between two homes a 1,000 miles apart, both with HS3 systems. Since these systems control critical systems like HVAC and irrigation, it is important to know when they are offline (generally power outages). Since MyHS knows when a system is offline, is there any utility to send an email notification? I have a workable system whereby every 4 hours, each system turns on a virtual device and sends an email to the other system. When the other system receives the specified email, it returns an email to the sending system. Upon receipt of the returned email, the sending system turns off the virtual indicator. If the virtual indicator is on for more than 30 minutes (because the other system didn't respond), the receiving system send me an email saying to check the system. It works, but a notice from MyHS would be simpler.
    HS4Pro on Windows 10
    One install with 2 Ethernet Z-nets
    2nd install with 1 Ethernet Z-net
    300 devices, 250 events, 8 scripts
    6 CT-100 tstats
    Serial IT-100 interface to DSC Panel with 8 wired zones
    18 Fortrezz water sensors & two valve controls

Originally posted by Sheriff View Post
    I live between two homes a 1,000 miles apart, both with HS3 systems. Since these systems control critical systems like HVAC and irrigation, it is important to know when they are offline (generally power outages). Since MyHS knows when a system is offline, is there any utility to send an email notification? I have a workable system whereby every 4 hours, each system turns on a virtual device and sends an email to the other system. When the other system receives the specified email, it returns an email to the sending system. Upon receipt of the returned email, the sending system turns off the virtual indicator. If the virtual indicator is on for more than 30 minutes (because the other system didn't respond), the receiving system send me an email saying to check the system. It works, but a notice from MyHS would be simpler.
    Not sure if myhs would be a reliable solution. I frequently (a few times a week) cannot access my system through myhs. I get the message system offline. But when I remotely log onto my HS3 PC, HS3 is happily running and responsive...

Comment

I'm looking for the same answer. I too have more then one home and HomeSeer sever and could even bounce pings back and forth if needed so the one that's up could send me a push alert if the other is down. Whats the easiest watchdog or idea to get an alert when Homeseer goes offline. Also my main line of communication if threw MYHS so knowing when that is down is probley just as important.

Comment

I've been designing a plugin to allow me to sync some devices between multiple HS systems (like you I live between 3 homes, with 4 HS systems (one house is too large for the my Sonos system so I need to run it as two networks and then have 1 HS system for each one), luckily not 1000 miles apart!) I'll add in an event or virtual device if one system can not reach another for some timeout. Doesn't directly answer your question, but hopefully down the road it will give you another option.

Comment

I sort of live in the moment and build events that I later don’t understand myself, but generally my solution was sort of this...I created an event at Home I that sends an email to Home II every 4 hours; the subject is: “Is HS Running?”. The Home I event also turns on a virtual device (Home II HS Trouble) and starts a timer. Home II has an event that is triggered by any email received with the subject “Is HS Running?”; if triggered, it sends an email back to Home I with the subject “HS OK”. A second event at Home 1 is triggered by the email with subject “HS OK” and it turns off the Home II HS Trouble virtual device and stops the timer. If no HS OK email is received, another event at Home I is triggered by the timer reaching 30 minutes in which case it assumes Home II didn’t answer and it sends me an email saying there might be a problem. This has worked reliably.
          HS4Pro on Windows 10
          One install with 2 Ethernet Z-nets
          2nd install with 1 Ethernet Z-net
          300 devices, 250 events, 8 scripts
          6 CT-100 tstats
          Serial IT-100 interface to DSC Panel with 8 wired zones
          18 Fortrezz water sensors & two valve controls

Comment

Here's a script that checks a remote myhs instance running. I use this to monitor a customer's house for internet and/or power outages:

Code:
            Imports System.Net

Public Sub Main(ByVal parm as Object)[INDENT]Dim wc As WebClient
            dim msg as string = ""
            Try[/INDENT][INDENT=2]wc = New WebClient()
            Dim result As String

result = wc.DownloadString("https://connected2.homeseer.com/JSON?user=uuuuuuuuu&pass=ppppppppp&request=runevent&id=4018" )
            If (result.ToLower.Contains("response") And result.ToLower.Contains("ok")) Then[/INDENT][INDENT=3]''system is ok[/INDENT][INDENT=2]Else[/INDENT][INDENT=3]''invalid response
            throw new Exception(result)[/INDENT][INDENT=2]End If

Catch ex As Exception[/INDENT][INDENT=3]hs.writeLog("CheckBayStreet",msg & " - " & ex.message)
            msg=ex.Message[/INDENT][INDENT=2]Finally
            If (wc IsNot Nothing) Then wc.Dispose()
            If (msg.Length>0) then hs.SendEmail("xxxxxx@cspire1.com;xxxxxx@cspire1.com", "xxxxxx@gmail.com", "", "", "Bay Street", "Internet or power outage detected.", "")[/INDENT][INDENT]End Try[/INDENT]

End Sub
            Last edited by rmasonjr; September 19, 2018, 10:52 AM. Reason: code
            HS4Pro on a Raspberry Pi4
            54 Z-Wave Nodes / 21 Zigbee Devices / 108 Events / 767 Devices
            Plugins: Z-Wave / Zigbee Plus / EasyTrigger / AK Weather / OMNI

HSTouch Clients: 1 Android

Comment

Thanks, for the script. I'm going to test that out today.

EDIT: I'm not the brightest with scripts (or much else) and i'm working on a windows machine. But I'm getting "Webclient not defined" errors and "Namespace or type specified in the Imports 'System.Core' doesn't contain any public member or cannot be found. Make sure the namespace or the type is defined and contains at least one public member. Make sure the imported element name doesn't use any aliases."

I'm assuming I'm missing an important pre-request for this script that is not obvious for me.

Thanks,
              Last edited by integlikewhoa; September 19, 2018, 09:24 AM. Reason: Update on my failed attempt

Comment

Originally posted by integlikewhoa View Post
                Thanks, for the script. I'm going to test that out today.

EDIT: I'm not the brightest with scripts (or much else) and i'm working on a windows machine. But I'm getting "Webclient not defined" errors and "Namespace or type specified in the Imports 'System.Core' doesn't contain any public member or cannot be found. Make sure the namespace or the type is defined and contains at least one public member. Make sure the imported element name doesn't use any aliases."

I'm assuming I'm missing an important pre-request for this script that is not obvious for me.

Thanks,
                Change the "CheckBayStreet" to "Main"
                Also, be sure to save it with a .vb extension.

Comment

Originally posted by rmasonjr View Post

Change the "CheckBayStreet" to "Main"
                  Also, be sure to save it with a .vb extension.
                  It was saved as a .vb, I changed out the check baystreet in the first line " Public Sub CheckBayStreet(ByVal parm as Object)" to main. I have edited the emails, and headers and such for email. I also edited the user and pass and the event ID for my system. Not sure if I missed anything else. Still getting the following errors after running my script.
                  Sep-19 8:21:29 AM Error Compiling script C:\Program Files (x86)\HomeSeer HS3\scripts\CheckIn.vb: Type 'WebClient' is not defined.
                  Sep-19 8:21:29 AM Error Compiling script C:\Program Files (x86)\HomeSeer HS3\scripts\CheckIn.vb: Type 'WebClient' is not defined.
                  Sep-19 8:21:29 AM Error Compiling script C:\Program Files (x86)\HomeSeer HS3\scripts\CheckIn.vb: Namespace or type specified in the Imports 'System.Core' doesn't contain any public member or cannot be found. Make sure the namespace or the type is defined and contains at least one public member. Make sure the imported element name doesn't use any aliases.
                  Sep-19 8:21:29 AM Event Running script in background: C:/Program Files (x86)/HomeSeer HS3/scripts/CheckIn.vb

Comment

It was saved as a .vb, I changed out the check baystreet in the first line " Public Sub CheckBayStreet(ByVal parm as Object)" to main. I have edited the emails, and headers and such for email. I also edited the user and pass and the event ID for my system. Not sure if I missed anything else. Still getting the following errors after running my script.
                    Sep-19 8:21:29 AM Error Compiling script C:\Program Files (x86)\HomeSeer HS3\scripts\CheckIn.vb: Namespace or type specified in the Imports 'System.Core' doesn't contain any public member or cannot be found. Make sure the namespace or the type is defined and contains at least one public member. Make sure the imported element name doesn't use any aliases.
                    Sep-19 8:21:29 AM Event Running script in background: C:/Program Files (x86)/HomeSeer HS3/scripts/CheckIn.vb
                    Try the script above - I updated it and tested it here (on Windows) and it worked fine...

Comment

Originally posted by rmasonjr View Post

Try the script above - I updated it and tested it here (on Windows) and it worked fine...
                      Ok, That works, except for my email, but I never setup email and probley have it wrong.

I would prefer to have a pushover message anyways, so that's the next step to figure out whats the script for that unless I can just create an action in the events.

Also I'm just curious with the event ID your calling what do you have setup in it?

Thanks,

Comment

Also I'm just curious with the event ID your calling what do you have setup in it?

Thanks,
                        It just needs to be any valid event id, so you could just have an event that writes a log entry or something like that.
                        Now, the trick is finding the Event Id. HS doesnt display it anywhere on the Event page, but you can either do a View->Source to find the event Id, or if you use Chrome, just right-click the event run button and choose 'Inspect' to get the event Id.

Comment

Working...
                        X