Sleep on LAN?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sleep on LAN?

Due to not knowing where to post this I'll just put it here. Is it possible to send a hibernate on LAN similar but opposite to wake on LAN?

Bump

Comment

Could this be any use to you?

ie when target PC gets a message (email?) trigger this sleep function
      http://board.homeseer.com/showthread...ighlight=sleep

JWD

Comment

You can do this with Girder. Girder has the ability to put a PC in standby or hibernate mode. By running Girder on the PC you want to "sleep" you can send a command to trigger the mode from a remote PC with another copy of Girder or from HS with the Girder plugin.

Comment

I use a utility calll poweroff it can do all that you ask and can be controlled via homeseer.
          Also ultramon can Wake-on-LAN.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim'll
            I use a utility calll poweroff it can do all that you ask and can be controlled via homeseer.
            Also ultramon can Wake-on-LAN.
            got a link?

Comment

I use PsShutdown and WOL.

PsShutdown is from Sysinternals:
              http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/PsShutdown.html

WOL is a utility from

They have 2 utilities, GUI and command line. As the Gui code did not work well for me (I posted about it in another area), I ended up using the command line (good ole trusty command line).

http://www.depicus.com/wake-on-lan/woli.aspx

I use this to turn on the media PC when one walks into the Entertainment Room (send IR to turn on surround, prep TV through serial interface, turn on media PC).

--Dan
              Tasker, to a person who does Homeautomation...is like walking up to a Crack Treatment facility with a truck full of 3lb bags of crack. Then for each person that walks in and out smack them in the face with an open bag.

Comment

How good are these shut down apps in dealing with progs that don't normally like to be shut down i.e. Outlook?

Comment

does WOL power up a PC or just resume from hibernation?

the shutdown app that I use can't cope with apps that refuse to power off or present a pop-up.

The latest Adobe Reader (freeware) has a terrible bug in it - when used with FireFox, if you go to a non-responsive website, it hangs up forever. No way to kill it. Then when you later power-off, it hangs and causes a user-intervention in order to power off. I'm really mad at Adobe for this crap version.

Comment

Originally posted by pgale
                    How good are these shut down apps in dealing with progs that don't normally like to be shut down i.e. Outlook?
                    PS can force a shutdown for any program. It also can do hibernates and suspends. It has the MOST features of any shutdown program that I have seen...yet...that's why I use it. Oh and it just works. I tried to use the one from Microsoft...it was a PITA. You needed to configure all sorts of settings on both machines, etc. Of course, thier program was written for IT people in a domain. So it does it's job. For us...it's not worth the hassel. This PS shutdown works great! As well as MORE features!!

--Dan
                    Tasker, to a person who does Homeautomation...is like walking up to a Crack Treatment facility with a truck full of 3lb bags of crack. Then for each person that walks in and out smack them in the face with an open bag.

Comment

Originally posted by Stevech
                      does WOL power up a PC or just resume from hibernation?

the shutdown app that I use can't cope with apps that refuse to power off or present a pop-up.

The latest Adobe Reader (freeware) has a terrible bug in it - when used with FireFox, if you go to a non-responsive website, it hangs up forever. No way to kill it. Then when you later power-off, it hangs and causes a user-intervention in order to power off. I'm really mad at Adobe for this crap version.
                      All WOL does it wake the PC. If the PC is waking from hibernation or suspend or boot clean...doesn't matter. Your PC's motherboard and LAN card MUST support this. It's a hardware thing. If your motherboard supports it, but LAN doesn't WOL won't work for you. BOTH must support it.

PSShutdown can cope with it. You can force it to kill things after a certain amount of time. You can (I think) have it answer questions for you upon shutdown command. Although I'm not too certain of that last statement.

--Dan

Comment

ah, I though WOL hardware and BIOS would not invoke what becomes a cold boot. I'm wrong, it says. Two PCs I've tried it on both left the power supply fan on when suspended or hibernated. Not what I wanted.

My current PC has ethernet on the motherboard and it does't support WOL. The BIOS does, but apparently you must plug in a PCI bus ethernet card with WOL.

Comment

Strange...when I hibernate my PC, it goes totally dead.

Then a WOL magic packet later, it's up, cold boots to where it pulls the hibernation data from the Hard drive.

--Dan

Comment

Hibernate does that, its sleep that stays partially on.

Comment

Right, gotcha. I use hibernate...never had good experiences with Sleep modes and desktops.

--Dan

Comment

Working...
                              X