www.homeseer.com    

Go Back   HomeSeer Message Board > HomeSeer Products & Services > HomeSeer Help

HomeSeer Help Help, How-to's and Documentation

Old September 18th, 2017, 10:30 PM
Seer

Migrating from Windows to Linux (Windows 7 to Ubuntu 14.04)

So I've seen a lot of different discussions about this topic, but none of them seem very complete (although it's entirely possible I missed some!)

I just spent all day trying to migrate my HomeSeer 3 server over to Linux from a backup I took a month ago from my (now deceased) Windows machine. The good news is I sort of got everything working! The bad news is some of my devices are acting strange. Here's an example:

Link to screen capture of borked device:
https://i.imgur.com/166eny2.png

Everything below the column starting in "0" (no icon) is a duplicate entry. This means all my hstouch apps have the wrong information being utilized. It also means I may have some events pointing to dead columns...

Would anyone know how to fix this?

Here's how I accomplished my migration:
1) Installed Homeseer for Ubuntu using the (very limited) instructions linked to the downloads page.
2) Tried to make it work, but everything was messed up when I attempted a restore... found out the problem was my mono installation was 3.x, and I needed at least 4.x.
3) Installed Mono 5.x (that wasn't intentional, I didn't actually know it was 5 yet - this MIGHT be the cause of my problems!

-Trevor
P.S. Is there a graphical interface for ubuntu? I've been using the command line method, and it's actually really nice for debugging, but it might be cool to have something simpler for day-to-day once it's set up (something close to the windows version). I'm also not sure how to update the ubuntu version... is there a method I can use to check my version? An update just might help solve my problem as well, for all I know!

Last edited by Lucid; September 19th, 2017 at 04:44 PM. Reason: The picture was screwing up the page (this forum layout is pretty rough)
Old September 19th, 2017, 08:17 PM
Seer

Welcome to Linux.

Regarding the duplicate devices you might try re-scanning the nodes:

Under Plug-Ins -> Z-Wave -> Controller Management expand the arrow next to the Z-Wave interface. You will see a drop-down menu for Actions that should have 'Scan Existing Devices (Full Scan)'. You can try this, but I don't remember it it will automatically remove old devices or not.

Regarding Ubuntu, 14.04 is an older release. The current release for desktop use is 17.04. Upgrading might help. I use OpenSuSE myself, so can't provide step by step directions but here are a few places to start looking:

https://www.ubuntu.com/support/community-support
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Upgrades
https://ubuntuforums.org/

There are several different graphical interfaces - Unity, Gnome, KDE, Enlightenment - they can be installed in parallel so you can try them all. As I recall Ubuntu Server doesn't install any by default, but should be able to support any of them. Ubuntu Desktop defaults to Unity I believe.

-A
Old January 20th, 2018, 04:05 PM
Seer Deluxe

Hi Trevor,

I'm looking into moving to Ubuntu. Documentation about the procedure is sparse, and there's lots of forum threads, many outdated with little info on migration process. Do you have some words of wisdom? What version of Mono (4.x or 5.x) wound up working for you?

Thanks.
Old January 21st, 2018, 01:14 PM
OverSeer

Documented here and issues relate to migration or use of original version of Mono 3.28 and loss of events when upgrading to a newer Mono.

Next issue today unrelating to a Windows to Linux migration relates to the currently utilized on the Zee2 Mono version 4.X and it being difficult to remove and update (built version of Mono - make install etc) such that it would just relate to an upgrade to Mono on Linux.

And relating to migration process is is using the two backup methodologies built in to the HS3 web interface.

Best to try for your self. If you have a back up then you should not have any issues.

BTW current release of Ubuntu is 16.04 / 16.10 and a few folks are trying Ubuntu 17.X these days.

and

current release of the RPi OS is called Stretch (OS builds have gone from Wheezy to Jessie to Stretch).

Automator

HS3 Pro & Lite Edition Beta 3.0.0.435

HS3 Wintel Touch | Ubuntu 16.04 64 bit | Oracle Windows Virtual Box ==> for Wintel only SAPI and HS3 plugins | Speech - Microsoft SAPI - Neospeech - Amazon Echo | Hardware | Haswell Intel iSeries 3 - 16Gb | Pine64 - 2Gb computers | Openpeak Intel Atom SoC tabletop touchscreens (15 HS tabletop tablets) | Touchscreens - Windows embedded POE connected |Light switches - X10,UPB, ZWave and Zigbee | Firewall - PFSense - 2 WAN plus 4 LAN interfaces | Network - Gb managed switches / POE WAP(s) | CCTV - Zoneminder IPHD cams - variety | Audio - Russound - AB8SS | Security - Leviton HAI Omni Pro 2 | Weather - Davis Vantage Vue - MeteoStick - WeeWx | 1-Wire - AAG, Midon and HB | OWFS - Mosquitto - Node Red - Python - RPi Stretch - OpenWRT

Last edited by Pete; January 21st, 2018 at 02:04 PM.