www.homeseer.com    

Go Back   HomeSeer Message Board > Lighting & Primary Technology Plug-ins > Lighting & Primary Technology Discussion

Lighting & Primary Technology Discussion Lighting & Primary Technology General Discussion

Old October 16th, 2017, 05:04 PM
HomeSeer Technologies

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechFan View Post
Hm. Okay. I didn't realize the functionality had been implemented that recently. I guess my timing is working out. So, does the HS3 version need to be at a certain version as well?

Thanks!
the release version (130) was published on June 16th.... there have been 18 subsequent beta releases since then. If you have the most recent NON-BETA version of HS3, that should be fine.

website | products | support | youtube
Old October 16th, 2017, 06:18 PM
Seer Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by macromark View Post
the release version (130) was published on June 16th.... there have been 18 subsequent beta releases since then. If you have the most recent NON-BETA version of HS3, that should be fine.
Time flies sometimes. . .I have had a lot of transitions here, so haven't been keeping up.

Still having to use a ZWave version that is newer than June 2017 is pretty recent in comparison to having these bulbs since 2014 (I have had a few since then, but got a batch in April 2017, then again more in August).

Thanks again for confirming. Looking forward to controlling the dimming speed!
Old October 17th, 2017, 12:23 AM
Seer Master

Quote:
I did just download the file. . .and HS complains it can't handle the .hec file (filename.hec has invalid extension, only .hex are allowed). I need to read change logs and do the extensive backups before applying the latest HS3 update. I have the latest released ZWave already .130. Is the change log for the newer ZWave posted to the beta plugin page (doesn't always get there).

Thanks. Will have to wait and do some prep before I can upload the firmware it appears.
Slow going, but getting all my bulbs updated. . .and they do dim very quickly now! :-)

I realized, that I have one non-LB601Z-1 bulb. . .the HomeSeer branded Domitech bulb. . .
HomeSeer HS-DTA19+ Z-Wave Plus Smart Bulb

Is there a firmware update for that that might support the same configuration options?
Old October 17th, 2017, 09:20 AM
HomeSeer Technologies

Quote:
HomeSeer HS-DTA19+ Z-Wave Plus Smart Bulb

Is there a firmware update for that that might support the same configuration options?
Our OEM manufacturer was the same one that also made the Nortek bulbs. I assume the Nortek firmware should work on those too but I've not tested it.
Old October 17th, 2017, 10:03 AM
Seer Master

Close to a dumb question but, if I were to put this in a closet with a pull cord or a table lamp with a switch, could I still just pull the cord or push the switch to make the light come on?

Or does the bulb only get activated from a z-wave controlled device, whether another zwave device or an app?
Old October 17th, 2017, 10:19 AM
Seer Deluxe

Not a dumb question.. The problem with a pull cord/ table switch is that if you turn it off there is no electricity to the bulb so when you try to use your z-wave controllers it is unable to communicate with the device until you turn the power back on via cord/switch. Mike

Plug-Ins: BLBackup, BLGData, BLRoombaWifi, Device History, EasyTrigger, ImperiHome, Nest, PHLocation, Pushover 3P, Restart, Sonos, UltraCID3, UltraWeatherWU3, Z-Wave, and Jon00 scripts.
Old October 17th, 2017, 10:31 AM
HomeSeer Technologies

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNB View Post
Not a dumb question.. The problem with a pull cord/ table switch is that if you turn it off there is no electricity to the bulb so when you try to use your z-wave controllers it is unable to communicate with the device until you turn the power back on via cord/switch. Mike
The problem is a tiny bit worse than that. If the bulb is being used as a repeating node (likely), then cutting the power from it can also cause slowdowns in the network as commands and (especially) responses may be routed through that node.

I have a few of these bulbs in pull-chain fixtures at home. I've actually removed the chains to prevent this problem from happening... and I've mounted wall controllers instead.
Old October 17th, 2017, 10:59 AM
Seer Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by macromark View Post
Our OEM manufacturer was the same one that also made the Nortek bulbs. I assume the Nortek firmware should work on those too but I've not tested it.
I'll try again. I tried it once. It uploaded the firmware but didn't ever install.
Old October 17th, 2017, 11:44 AM
Seer Master

Quote:
I'll try again. I tried it once. It uploaded the firmware but didn't ever install.
I aborted the process that didn't finish, cancelled it, then started again. This time it worked, so now all my bulbs are set to dim much faster, in steps of 10 (parameter 9) to complete in 1 second (parameter 10).

Thanks!
Old October 17th, 2017, 04:51 PM
Seer Master

@Macromark and @MNB - so, one of these bulbs is on and I shut if off via z-wave control from HS3. Then... someone physically turns off the switch (for whatever reason), now I can't turn the light on from HS3 because the switch is off, got it. However, if the light is off from HS3 and the switch is off physically, will turning on the switch (non z-wave) make the light come on, or does it still have to be turned on via HS3 somehow?

I hope I didn't overly wordy there.

I was about to buy a bunch of these, but now I'm not so sure.
Old October 17th, 2017, 04:54 PM
Seer Deluxe

My experience is that if you apply power via the switch will turn the light on, it doesn't require zwave to turn it on. Mike
Old October 17th, 2017, 05:10 PM
Seer Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by racerfern View Post
@Macromark and @MNB - so, one of these bulbs is on and I shut if off via z-wave control from HS3. Then... someone physically turns off the switch (for whatever reason), now I can't turn the light on from HS3 because the switch is off, got it. However, if the light is off from HS3 and the switch is off physically, will turning on the switch (non z-wave) make the light come on, or does it still have to be turned on via HS3 somehow?

I hope I didn't overly wordy there.

I was about to buy a bunch of these, but now I'm not so sure.
The behavior (when turned on by the physical switch) can be configured. By default, the lights come on at 100% when they get power again. You can configure them to return to Last On level (no matter if it was off). . .or to last state (off if it was off, on if it was on).

The concern @Macromark was mentioning is that your ZWave network may get confused if nodes it is depending on (the bulbs) are turned physically off at the switch.