www.homeseer.com    

Go Back   HomeSeer Message Board > Lighting & Primary Technology Plug-ins > Lighting & Primary Technology Discussion

Lighting & Primary Technology Discussion Lighting & Primary Technology General Discussion

Old July 3rd, 2017, 03:22 AM
Seer Master

GE Jasco Fan Control Switch

I purchased one of these GE Jasco Fan Switches, it's supposed to have 3 speed settings Low, Med and High. Or so I thought. It shows up as a Dimmer. Is there a setting somewhere that needs changed, or is this an incompatibility issue? Or is this an issue on GE's side? Ideas?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XTKQTTV
Old July 3rd, 2017, 08:57 AM
OverSeer

That's how they show up. If you set dim value in a certain range, the switch will set the appropriate low, medium or high speed. The Leviton's work the same.

Sent from my Phone using Tapatalk
UltraGCIR GC-100|UltraNetcam|UltraPioneer|Ultra1Wire|DSC PC1832|BLLED|BLTVGuide|ImperiHome|jon00 Utilities|MySensors

PHLocation|X10 CM11A IOLinc,etc
Old July 3rd, 2017, 11:51 AM
Seer Master

ok, next issue is that the fan will not work on any dim level. It's either on full blast, or barely on. When you set a dim level, it turns on full blast, but then it turns down to the idle speed. I'm trying to control this Vortex inline fan.
I do note that the switch is rated at 1.3 amps, and the fan is rated at 1.9. I figure it will still work being that i'm planning on only using it at 50% or less.
Is the fan pulling 1.9 amps at 50% power?
http://www.globalindustrial.com/p/hv...SABEgKKD_D_BwE
Old July 25th, 2017, 07:44 AM
Seer Master

So the switch would not work on my hvac booster fan, but it is working correctly on my ceiling fan. I figured out how to change the operational ranges to only 3 settings. So now that I know how to reconfigure a dimmer in software, why couldn't a homeseer dimmer control the fan? I would then have the scene controls. Why is this switch marketed as a fan control but it operates and only has an amp rating of 3.6 amps. The homeseer dimmer is rated at 600 watts which converts to 5 amps. I don't get it. What makes a dimmer compatible with fan motors?
Old July 25th, 2017, 10:59 AM
Super Seer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tome10 View Post
So the switch would not work on my hvac booster fan, but it is working correctly on my ceiling fan. I figured out how to change the operational ranges to only 3 settings. So now that I know how to reconfigure a dimmer in software, why couldn't a homeseer dimmer control the fan? I would then have the scene controls. Why is this switch marketed as a fan control but it operates and only has an amp rating of 3.6 amps. The homeseer dimmer is rated at 600 watts which converts to 5 amps. I don't get it. What makes a dimmer compatible with fan motors?
Dimmers aren't made to take the load of a motor. I don't know the details (not smart enough for electronics in that depth), but I do know in general, they can't handle the load without heating up which could cause a fire I would imagine.

The GE fan switch kinda gives you a false sense that this should work since its displayed as a dimmer, though the inners of the switch is not a dimmer. I am not sure if its GE or HS where the break is (I would suspect GE) on how its presented, but I have been using them with the weird dimmer workaround for years without issue.

One thing I have noticed with the GE fan switches, when you first turn it on at any setting, I think it gives a boast of electricity initially to get it up to speed quicker (I can hear the whine in the motor when it first starts up). Also on my fans that I don't have automated yet, I don't see this, so I think its a feature that I actually really like.