www.homeseer.com    

Go Back   HomeSeer Message Board > Lighting & Primary Technology Plug-ins > Lighting & Primary Technology Discussion

Lighting & Primary Technology Discussion Lighting & Primary Technology General Discussion

Old July 23rd, 2017, 11:00 PM
Viewer

TP-Link smart plug /switch / bulb plugin?

Hi. TP-Link have some very low-cost smart plugs and bulbs that operate over Wi-Fi and do status reporting. (Both US & UK versions) I've been unable to find a Homeseer plugin to support these. Is anyone planning on making one?

They run an embedded version of Linux and a web server! A blog reports how they've managed to control them by sending JSON requests and a PDF presentation spells out how to do it for those with more skills than me.

The Home Assistant software provides built-in support for the plugs/switches so I'm not sure why Homeseer hasn't? Maybe it's on the cards? Can anyone comment please as I'd love to bring these wonderful devices under HS control instead of only using Kasa or Alexa. Thanks.
Old August 6th, 2017, 04:37 PM
Seer Deluxe

Would be nice as these things are popping up everywhere! Including my house
Old August 7th, 2017, 04:50 AM
OverSeer

I pondered over these in Maplins the other day, looking at that document it is not trivial to get control of these into HS (although not impossible) - the issue you always have with stuff like this (I have just written a plugin for the BG Hive thermostats that is not dis-similar) is that because you are on an unpublished/unauthorised control method the most simple thing can be changed by the legitimate persons and the whole thing does not work until you go back and manage to reverse it all again.
Old December 10th, 2017, 10:43 PM
Viewer

Was able to make this work (tp-link WiFi plugs) through IFTTT.
Old January 10th, 2018, 07:30 PM
Seer Deluxe

Seems a shame to have to round-trip through the slow-*** IFTTT cloud...

The devices are wifi and can be locally controlled. The openhab people figured it out, apparently.

https://community.openhab.org/t/tp-l...g-wifi/8591/97
Old January 10th, 2018, 07:58 PM
Seer Plus

Matter of time...

Hopefully it is a matter of time. I bought them because they didn't require a hub and were relatively cheap. Now I don't know if that was such a good idea. The 1-2 second delay from motion sensor, to IFTT, back to HS, kills the WAF when she runs into things in the dark. I think if HS were able to control locally that would be killer.
Old January 11th, 2018, 08:17 AM
Seer Deluxe

Quote:
Originally Posted by bktabinga View Post
... kills the WAF when she runs into things in the dark.
That's dead-on accurate. It's a foolish man that doesn't plan AHEAD of the WAF. We've all been there, and it makes me VERY picky about response times for a great many automation features.

For lighting I've been very pleased with Lutron's Ra2 line. The response time is nearly instantaneous for motion/lights. I'd be happier if they weren't stupid expensive but 'you get what you pay for' definitely applies with them. Fortunately HS3 has a plug-in for it!

I may get one of the HS110 just to experiment a bit. I've got a hot water dispenser that I'd like to put on a managed timer. I'd like to see what kind of power demands it has based on running back up from cold. Could be some window of operating time that's more energy-effective to leave it running vs cycling it off/on. That and if I can learn it's actual required run-up time I can better plan schedules for it.