Moving HS3 Pro to Pi3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Moving HS3 Pro to Pi3

I am keen to move HS3 Pro from it's PC to a Raspberry Pi3. Can anyone advise the best way to do this apart from installing the Linux version of HS3, in fact even if it is possible to import current events, scripts and plug-ins.

thanks.
    sigpic
    A founder member of "The HA Pioneer Group" otherwise known as the "Old farts club!"

Yes it is easy.

Try it....you cannot break anything if you keep your HS3 on Windows intact.

1 - use the Homeseer lite RPi3 image to build your new box (Jessie Lite)
    2 - update the core OS and update Mono with Mono 5.X
    3 - delete the Homeseer directory and replace it with a HS3 directory
    4 - import your stuff over to the new build (this is the easiest part of the build).

That said the RPi3 is a quad core ARM CPU with 1Gb of RAM. If you go lite on the build then you shouldn't have any issues.

The architecture of the RPi3 (and RPi) running an ARM CPU makes it difficult to benchmark against an Intel / AMD CPU.

If you load it up with many scripts and plugins you will be pushing the RPi3.

IE: your current D525 Intel Atom based with 4Gb of RAM will do better with Ubuntu 16.04 / 64 bit for running HS3 Pro than an RPi3.

An big old dual core Pentium with 4Gb of RAM (power hungry) will do better than an RPi3 with 1Gb of RAM.

No desktop on the RPi3 helps running Homeseer 3. You do not need a desktop for running Homeseer 3 on a Linux computer.

This is my opinion here relating to having and running HS3 Pro and HS3 Lite on two boxes running Ubuntu 16.04 64 bit.

Cost wise an RPi3 is just $35 USD plus the cost of the case, microSD card and power supply.

Cheapest Intel Atom computer today comes with 2Gb / 4Gb of RAM and comes with Windows 10 these days for cheap ($50 W10 tablet) to a bit over $100 say for a Pipo micro computer. Such that an Intel based mini computer is still more money than an RPi3.
    Last edited by Pete; November 14, 2017, 12:24 PM.
    - Pete

Auto mator
    Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb

HS4 Pro - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
    HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Originally posted by Pete View Post
      Yes it is easy.

Try it....you cannot break anything if you keep your HS3 on Windows intact.

1 - use the Homeseer lite RPi3 image to build your new box (Jessie Lite)
      2 - update the core OS and update Mono with Mono 5.X
      3 - delete the Homeseer directory and replace it with a HS3 directory
      4 - import your stuff over to the new build (this is the easiest part of the build).

That said the RPi3 is a quad core ARM CPU with 1Gb of RAM. If you go lite on the build then you shouldn't have any issues.

The architecture of the RPi3 (and RPi) running an ARM CPU makes it difficult to benchmark against an Intel / AMD CPU.

If you load it up with many scripts and plugins you will be pushing the RPi3.

IE: your current D525 Intel Atom based with 4Gb of RAM will do better with Ubuntu 16.04 / 64 bit for running HS3 Pro than an RPi3.

An big old dual core Pentium with 4Gb of RAM (power hungry) will do better than an RPi3 with 1Gb of RAM.

No desktop on the RPi3 helps running Homeseer 3. You do not need a desktop for running Homeseer 3 on a Linux computer.

This is my opinion here relating to having and running HS3 Pro and HS3 Lite on two boxes running Ubuntu 16.04 64 bit.

Cost wise an RPi3 is just $35 USD plus the cost of the case, microSD card and power supply.

Cheapest Intel Atom computer today comes with 2Gb / 4Gb of RAM and comes with Windows 10 these days for cheap ($50 W10 tablet) to a bit over $100 say for a Pipo micro computer. Such that an Intel based mini computer is still more money than an RPi3.
      Thanks Pete food for thought.
      sigpic
      A founder member of "The HA Pioneer Group" otherwise known as the "Old farts club!"

Comment

I tried to shrink it down to a Pi3 and it was just not as reliable or fast as it was on a intel chip. I do have alot of plugins and devices. I went back to somthing with more Horsepower for my install.

Comment

I run HS3 standard for Linux on an RPI 3. I have 359 devices, 180 events, 3 unique scripts used. Currently, I have: BLBackup, BLLAN, weatherXML, Z-Wave, and Pushover 3P running. I also use phlocation (but need to get my phones reporting properly again. HS3 shows 70MB used for the main exe, grip shows 153 MB with all plugins.

I think @Pete is right load the RPI image to a flash drive and replace the HomeSeer folder with your install. Do note you will likely need to update the permissions on the new folder after you finish copying it over.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

OK ., thanks for feed back, am going to take the dive tomorrow
            sigpic

Comment

Working...
            X