Do I need all this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do I need all this?

I still have NET 1,2,3 installed and off course NET4. do I require them all or can I delete 1 2 &3?

Current set up:
    Current Date/Time: 15/11/2017 19:23:41
    HomeSeer Version: HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.362
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows XP Professional - Work Station
    System Uptime: 6 Days 21 Hours 3 Minutes 30 Seconds
    Number of Devices: 606
    Number of Events: 242
    Available Threads: 400
    License: Registered

Enabled Plug-Ins
    2.0.47.0: BLBackup
    2.0.8.0: BLCpuAdvisor
    2.0.5.0: BLGarbage
    2.0.6.0: BLPlugins
    2.0.127.0: BLRadar
    2.0.93.0: BLRF
    1.0.3.0: BLShutdown
    3.0.0.40: EasyTrigger
    3.0.0.24: ImperiHome
    3.0.1.109: PHLocation
    3.3.5.17921: SMS-Gateway
    3.0.6377.20892: UltraWeatherWU3
    3.0.0.42: X10
    3.0.1.152: Z-Wave
    sigpic
    A founder member of "The HA Pioneer Group" otherwise known as the "Old farts club!"

I would leave the dot net stuff alone.

Do you still have that 2 drive 2.5" SATA cage in the front of your Foxcomm D525?

If you do you can purchase SSD drives for trying new OS's with HomeSeer 3.

A 64-120Gb drive would work just fine for Ubuntu Linux 16.04 64bit or Windows 7 embedded or Windows 7 lite.

You could dual boot using current XP Pro build and a second OS build.
    - Pete

Auto mator
    Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
    Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
    HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
    HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Originally posted by Pete View Post

Do you still have that 2 drive 2.5" SATA cage in the front of your Foxcomm D525?

A 64-120Gb drive would work just fine for Ubuntu Linux 16.04 64bit or Windows 7 embedded or Windows 7 lite.

Thanks Pete, good advice as usual. I would like to try linux, but the cpu is way below min spec for linux. Can you remember what socket is on the motherboard?
      sigpic
      A founder member of "The HA Pioneer Group" otherwise known as the "Old farts club!"

Comment

Yes the Intel Atom D525 is soldered on to the motherboard.

It would run Ubuntu 16.04 64bit fine.

You can test a live DVD or USB stick without installing it on a hard drive to check out the speed.

You can also test Linux on an RPi3 or Pine64 2Gb computer or new Rock64 4 Gb computer running it on eMMC.
        - Pete

Auto mator
        Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
        Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Yes the Intel Atom D525 is soldered on to the motherboard.

It would run Ubuntu 16.04 64bit fine.

You can test a live DVD or USB stick without installing it on a hard drive to check out the speed.

You can also test Linux on an RPi3 or Pine64 2Gb computer or new Rock64 4 Gb computer running it on eMMC.
          Thanks Pete, I'll let you know how it goes.
          sigpic

Comment

A D525 runs Linux just fine. Had one running my firewall for several years before moving to an even lower power one. Depending on how many plugins you have I suspect it would be great with HS3. Linux requires fewer hardware than windows, so if HS3 is running on your D525 under Windows it will run as good or better under Linux. Plugin compatibility of course is a different matter.
            HS Pro 3.0 | Linux Ubuntu 16.04 x64 virtualized under Proxmox (KVM)
            Hardware: Z-NET - W800 Serial - Digi PortServer TS/8 and TS/16 serial to Ethernet - Insteon PLM - RFXCOM - X10 Wireless
            Plugins: HSTouch iOS and Android, RFXCOM, BlueIris, BLLock, BLDSC, BLRF, Insteon PLM (MNSandler), Device History, Ecobee, BLRing, Kodi, UltraWeatherWU3
            Second home: Zee S2 with Z-Wave, CT101 Z-Wave Thermostat, Aeotec Z-Wave microswitches, HSM200 occupancy sensor, Ecolink Z-Wave door sensors, STI Driveway Monitor interfaced to Zee S2 GPIO pins.

Comment

New SSD drive arrived and Ubuntu Linux installed, working great. Downloaded HS3 for Linux and extracted the TAR, but how do I install it, tried to understand HST's installation guide without success.

Can you help?
              sigpic

Comment

@Gordon,

Sounds good.

Guessing you have latest 16.04 / 64 bit Ubuntu running with latest Mono 5.X running.

Here utilize Webmin which is an HTML GUI to manage a box without a desktop.

There is really no installation for Homeseer 3 running in Linux. It is just a directory and all you do is manually run the Homeseer 3 program inside of the directory.

Running Homeseer 3 is easy.

1 - you can run it manually opening up a terminal windows remotely or on the box itself, and doing a sudo ./go in the Homeseer directory. Leave the terminal window open while you test and check out Homeseer 3 or
                2 - run a cron Homeseer 3 start on boot
                3 - create a Homeseer 3 systemd service to auto magically start Homeseer 3.

Suggested first steps would be installing Webmin ==>

Installing on Debian

At an SSH prompt type the following:

1 - wget http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/w..._1.860_all.deb
                2 - sudo apt-get install perl libnet-ssleay-perl openssl libauthen-pam-perl libpam-runtime libio-pty-perl apt-show-versions python
                3 - wget http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/w..._1.860_all.deb

4 - log in to your Webmin GUI and create a CRON job on boot.

5 - Got to Webmin==> System ==> scheduled CRON jobs.
                6 - create a new Cron Job and call it Homeseer start.

Use this:

sleep 60 && exec sh /usr/local/HomeSeer/autostart_hs

Reboot.

You can disable this once you are comfortable with writing a systemd homeseer.service auto start entry.

Once in Homeseer 3 GUI you can register your Homeseer and start to tinker with it toot suite.

Are you familiar with using SSH?

Are you using the Ubuntu Desktop?

If using the auto login for the desktop you can run the Homeseer 3 script on boot up of the Ubuntu Desktop.

Baby steps as Linux is a bit different from Windows.

I find using the command prompt much easier / faster than the Desktop and currently running two Homeseer 3 boxes headless with only HS3 Webgui access and SSH access and or Webmin Access.

If you have a Windows desktop around you can install Putty to run SSH from it and WinSCP to manupulate and edit files on your Homeseer box.
                - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

@Gordon,

Sounds good.

Guessing you have latest 16.04 / 64 bit Ubuntu running with latest Mono 5.X running.

Here utilize Webmin which is an HTML GUI to manage a box without a desktop.

There is really no installation for Homeseer 3 running in Linux. It is just a directory and all you do is manually run the Homeseer 3 program inside of the directory.

Running Homeseer 3 is easy.

1 - you can run it manually opening up a terminal windows remotely or on the box itself, and doing a sudo ./go in the Homeseer directory. Leave the terminal window open while you test and check out Homeseer 3 or
                  2 - run a cron Homeseer 3 start on boot
                  3 - create a Homeseer 3 systemd service to auto magically start Homeseer 3.

Suggested first steps would be installing Webmin ==>

Installing on Debian

At an SSH prompt type the following:

1 - wget http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/w..._1.860_all.deb
                  2 - sudo apt-get install perl libnet-ssleay-perl openssl libauthen-pam-perl libpam-runtime libio-pty-perl apt-show-versions python
                  3 - wget http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/w..._1.860_all.deb

4 - log in to your Webmin GUI and create a CRON job on boot.

5 - Got to Webmin==> System ==> scheduled CRON jobs.
                  6 - create a new Cron Job and call it Homeseer start.

Use this:

sleep 60 && exec sh /usr/local/HomeSeer/autostart_hs

Reboot.

You can disable this once you are comfortable with writing a systemd homeseer.service auto start entry.

Once in Homeseer 3 GUI you can register your Homeseer and start to tinker with it toot suite.

Are you familiar with using SSH?

Are you using the Ubuntu Desktop?

If using the auto login for the desktop you can run the Homeseer 3 script on boot up of the Ubuntu Desktop.

Baby steps as Linux is a bit different from Windows.

I find using the command prompt much easier / faster than the Desktop and currently running two Homeseer 3 boxes headless with only HS3 Webgui access and SSH access and or Webmin Access.

If you have a Windows desktop around you can install Putty to run SSH from it and WinSCP to manupulate and edit files on your Homeseer box.
                  Thanks for quick reply Pete, not sure if mono is installed unless it is in the install package for Ubuntu Desktop.

I read that HS3 folder has to be in the rot directory, am I meant to copy it to there?
                  sigpic

Comment

One great suggestion you made Pete was to use a new SSD, it was getting dark by the time I had Linux installed an failed to install HS3, so just shutdown, changed the drives and fired up the pc with XP and hs3.

Worked perfectly.

thanks.
                    sigpic

Comment

not sure if mono is installed unless it is in the install package for Ubuntu Desktop.

I do not think that Mono is installed with the installation of Ubuntu 16.04 64 bit. Note it is suggested to run Linux in 64 bit. Personally think that Homeseer 3 (32bit) runs faster in Ubuntu 64 bit.

[ATTACH]64532[/ATTACH]

Note too you want to create a lite version of Ubuntu. (server or lite desktop called LUbuntu). LUbuntu is what Homeseer uses with their S boxes.
                      If you need to start over again then I would suggest you do that with LUbuntu. Takes 15 minutes to install the OS. Note that I went heavier here with Ubuntu LTS.

The lite arm box is using a 32Gb microsd card for Ubuntu 16.04 64bit. The larger box is using a 120Gb .m2 Sata drive. (geez it is the size of my thumb).

To install mono follow the steps here for whatever OS you are using. Do this stuff via SSH.

For Mono install on Ubuntu 16.04 it is easy.

1 - sudo apt-key adv --keyserver hkp://keyserver.ubuntu.com:80 --recv-keys 3FA7E0328081BFF6A14DA29AA6A19B38D3D831EF
                      2 - echo "deb hxxp://download.mono-project.com/repo/ubuntu xenial main" | sudo tee /etc/apt/sources.list.d/mono-official.list
                      3 - sudo apt-get update

change above xx to tt.

1 - sudo apt-get install mono-complete
                      2 - sudo apt-get install mono-vbnc *
                      3 - sudo apt-get install aha *

* specifically needed for Homeseer 3

BTW Microsoft now owns Mono.

Checking my HS3 Pro box I see:

ICS-HS3Pro:~# mono -V
                      Mono JIT compiler version 5.4.1.6 (tarball Wed Nov 8 20:37:08 UTC 2017)
                      Copyright (C) 2002-2014 Novell, Inc, Xamarin Inc and Contributors. www.mono-project.com

I read that HS3 folder has to be in the root directory, am I meant to copy it to there?

You can install the HS3 folder any place. The Zee2 default directory is:

/usr/local/HomeSeer

Other users install it in the home directory, /opt directory or wherever.

I have mine installed in the root directory just cuz it is easier to type to get to.

IE: /HomeSeer.

Just make sure all of the Homeseer users can get to it.

I do this chmod -R 777 <homeseer folder>.

Another thing you want to configure is remote root access. By default Ubuntu does not provide a root password.
                      I just do a passwd root to create a password and tweak the ssh configuration a bit.

Here create new users and use same users for Homeseer:

new users created are pete and homeseer. I disable the default user.

Creating a new user and putting in to sudo is easy.

1 - sudo adduser username
                      2 - usermod -aG sudo username

So Gordon I am guessing you still have the two drive 2.5 hotswap cage in the front and DVD RW writer drive in the front of your FoxCon D525 PC. Here not using DVD / CD ROM drives much anymore and have gone to writing a boot install OS on a USB stick.

I still have the identical Foxconn computer here; still running 24/7 even though I do not use it.

Wondering now how many years ago that a bunch of us here purchased the same computer for Homeseer use.

Mods here same as yours ==> picoPSU, dual drive cage (well and removal of PSU).

It was around the same time of the year - November-December.

Thinking that maybe there are a few Homeseer users using the Foxconn D525 today for Homeseer 3.

Baby steps Gordon....savor the installation and see that it's late there now....go to bed.
                      Last edited by Pete; November 18, 2017, 01:29 PM.
                      - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

[I]So Gordon I am guessing you still have the two drive 2.5 hotswap cage in the front and DVD RW writer drive in the front of your FoxCon D525 PC. Here not using DVD / CD ROM drives much anymore and have gone to writing a boot install OS on a USB stick.
                        Yes still there, best thing ever. DVD no longer works, using a usb dvd drive
                        Wondering now how many years ago that a bunch of us here purchased the same computer for Homeseer use.

Mods here same as yours ==> picoPSU, dual drive cage (well and removal of PSU).

It was around the same time of the year - November-December.

Thinking that maybe there are a few Homeseer users using the Foxconn D525 today for Homeseer 3.
                        That would be interesting to know.
                        sigpic

Comment

Pete, have installed mono, but when I try and run HS3 get this error
                          Unhandled Exception:
                          System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not load file or assembly 'Microsoft.VisualBasic, Version=10.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a' or one of its dependencies.
                          File name: 'Microsoft.VisualBasic, Version=10.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a'
                          also how did you manage to get HS into the root directory, I don't have permission
                          sigpic

Comment

Gogs,

You do know that none of your .txt scripts will work under Linux? They will all need to be converted to VB.NET
                            Jon

Comment

Originally posted by jon00 View Post
                              Gogs,

You do know that none of your .txt scripts will work under Linux? They will all need to be converted to VB.NET
                              Hi Jon00, yes I knew one would not thought it was the other way round though.

A job I am not looking forward to
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X