Determining time online

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Determining time online

I use the ecobee plugin and it works smoothly. The only problem is the reliability of my wifi network, which occasionally knocks the ecobee offline for short (or occasionally long) periods of time.

I also have Honeywell thermostats, and with these there is a device whose lastchange value is updated every time the plugin retrieves information from the thermostat (even if the temperature, humidity or the value of other devices associated with the thermostat don't change). I can use the lastchange time of this device to determine whether or not the thermostat has been offline for a period of time.

With the Ecobee plugin I assume the 'Online' device is intended for the same purpose. In my case, the timestamp for the last change is about 12 days ago, but I have an error in my log file indicating that the ecobee plugin was unable to reach the central server yesterday (my network was down for about three minutes when the error occured).

I would have thought the error would have triggered the lastchange value to change, but it didn't. Am I misunderstanding the purpose of the 'Online' device?

Or is there another way I can determine when the last time the thermostat retrieved info from the thermostat?

Thanks in advance for you help - the plugin is great.

there is 2 different cases

1) If the thermostat for some reason can't report its state to the cloud server, then the root device is supposed to be set as Offline, I just tested it and it works but it takes time because the plugin only polls the cloud server every 4 minutes and it also takes time for the cloud server to notice the thermostat is offline, so all in all, from my quick test, it took about 10 minutes before the device was set as Offline in HS.

2) If the plugin can't access the cloud server because of a problem on your network or because the cloud server is down, then no devices are updated. I think you're right I should change that so that the root device is set to Offline in this case too. Thanks for the report, it's now added to my feature request list.

Comment

Great, thanks. Let us know when it's implemented.

Comment

done in version 3.0.0.10 available here

Comment

Excellent, thanks very much - I will upgrade right now.

Comment

Working...
          X