No announcement yet.

mini split control?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

you know even if I decide to go commercial at some point with this.. i dont see a problem in getting you set up with a way for you to control your mini..

first we have to figure out which features you want to control by homeseer.. and then i'll need to mod the code in the micro to conform to the protocol of one of the Thermostat plugins for homeseer...

currently i talk to my boards with a custom program that runs alongside Homeseer... it does a huge amount more than just talk to the grunaires.. it is responsible for Central blower speed control, discharge air control, dampers, economizer, etc..

but im thinking that I could make the board mimic an RCS TR-40 or such so that you could send it setpoints, mode, etc... somehow though we have to come up with a way to be able to control swing, auto-wind, turbo ,etc.. all those parameters exist in the comms protocol to the unit...

if you are decent at scripting im sure we can come up with something... my code is native compiled so it is safe for me to send around without worry of it being reverse-engineered.. we can even set you up with a schematic such that you can load new code to the processor from its serial port.. im trying out a USB version of the processor for development too.. ill know more in a week or two after ive had a chance to play with it more... im developing on the zbasic.net platform (www.zbasic.net) if you feel like poking around...
    -Christopher
    PerfecTemp - the Most advanced HVAC system I've ever Built - and its in my House

Comment

Well, since the indoor control pad was so poorly designed, it is impossible to set an ON/OFF schedule that you do not have to baby sit. As you probably know, you can set a time for the unit to come ON, but you cannot set an OFF time. And any ON time you set has to be reset manually every day. But this only works if you also reset the clock as it gains 15 min. a day. So...that said, I would love to be able to do just basic controlling of the mini. Control ON and OFF, set temp and maybe switch from AC to heat and back. Not too interested (yet) in controlling the swing, auto-wind, turbo, etc. I typically set those and leave them for the season. At least I did last summer after finally getting the unit running from its DOA condition out of the box.
      I have a davis weather instruments setup and with the wireless envoy unit I bring in the weather data to homeseer, so on the homeseer side I would use that info to assist in controlling the mini...ie turning off the mini when the outside temp reaches a certain temp...etc.

I'll check the zbasic setup.

Thanks Christopher
      Mike

Comment

Still on this thread?

Hey Christopher,

just wondering if you are still controlling your mini split with your custom hardware? Poked around alittle with zbasic. Still interested in your design and implementation if you care to share...
        Thanks,
        Mike

Comment

wowsers I hadnt mionitored this thread for awhile.. sorry... yes im still using my custom hardware to control my grunaire mini-split control boards.. im willing to share with you how a lot of it works.. its not too complex really to talk to the unit..
          -Christopher
          PerfecTemp - the Most advanced HVAC system I've ever Built - and its in my House

Comment

Originally posted by cadillackid View Post
            wowsers I hadnt mionitored this thread for awhile.. sorry... yes im still using my custom hardware to control my grunaire mini-split control boards.. im willing to share with you how a lot of it works.. its not too complex really to talk to the unit..
            -Christopher
            No problem Christopher, december is a busy month. I've poked around with the zbasic and seems straight forward. To get me going, a schematic, parts list, and the zbasic code for the micro controller would be great! I can breadboard it up...I think I've got the skills needed here. What ever you care to share would be great! I'll send you a message with my email address. Thanks!

Comment

Interested in knowing a bit about this project...

Hello there,

It looks like I'm going to be buying some Mitsubishi minisplits for heating a small apartment building in Sweden. For various reasons I'm really interested in putting these things under computer control (ultimately from a database that's populated from a Web site, believe it or not). There's a company that sells, for an exorbitant $900, a small box that converts SMS messages (text messages!) to commands for the heat pump... but that seems really roundabouts as I have all sorts of computer and networking equipment available. I'd like something that eventually ties into a USB port. Programming C or equivalent is no trouble for me, nor is soldering... should this be a difficult project?

Comment

Sorry to dig up old threads but I am interested in mini-split controls as I am looking to install these in my home. Is there an update or does any one know how this can be possible?

Comment

Originally posted by Big View Post
                  Sorry to dig up old threads but I am interested in mini-split controls as I am looking to install these in my home. Is there an update or does any one know how this can be possible?
                  The first several post explains how the OP is controlling his units.
                  💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Originally posted by Big View Post
                    I think Cadillackid had a hardware project going to mimic the wall keypad. I asked for plans and parts list awhile back but didn't get anything. Funny, just yesterday I was just looking at attacking this with the Global Cache IP2IR device to mimic the remote control. Not sure if this unit could learn the correct codes or not. Can't believe a year has gone by...

Did you buy the mini split unit yet Big?

Comment

Originally posted by mmikem View Post
                      I think Cadillackid had a hardware project going to mimic the wall keypad. I asked for plans and parts list awhile back but didn't get anything. Funny, just yesterday I was just looking at attacking this with the Global Cache IP2IR device to mimic the remote control. Not sure if this unit could learn the correct codes or not. Can't believe a year has gone by...

Did you buy the mini split unit yet Big?

Not yet, just thinking ahead. I'm a good 2-3 month from buying this, but I am designing my entire project on paper and researching.

Comment

I would caution you to do your homework on the company you buy from and the brand you buy. Not sure if it was this thread or another, but I explained that I bought the unit from Amcoraire...now out of business. They were bought by Pridiom and actually help me when this unit did not work from day one. Ended up replacing on warranty repair the entire outside card cage and fan motor. My hats off to Pridiom as they could have taken a "not our problem" attitude, but they didn't. Installed in May 2009, card cage and fan motor replaced it worked until November 2009. Another circuit card in the outside unit went bad. Again, Pridiom helped. Unit worked until December 2011 when the power in connector melted and was blowing breaker. Removed it, wiring directly and now its working again....I would probably have gone with a more name brand then one of these off shoots...From what I understand they are all made in China and marketed under different names. I would have gone with Mitsubishi....

let me know if I can help with any questions, I got more experience into how these things work than I ever wanted to....

Comment

Another quick note...These mini splits are awesome when they work...I bought a HX2400...something model which is 2.5 tons of AC for my shop at about 800 sq ft. This thing will cool it down quick. And a very unintrusive install...

Comment

Actually I do have a few questions on these units that goes beyond controlling them with HomeSeer. Do you mind if I contact you via email so we don't go off topic on these forums?

Comment

Big, sent you a message on your profile with my email address...

Comment

hey there guys.. sorry i didnt see this thread again.. I have been working non-stop so I dont monitor these boards much...

I did exactly what was mentioned I built a hardware board to Mimic the wall keypad that was sent with the Chigo branded units (grunaire, amcoraire,turboair) to name a few.. to calm the fears of the folks that had issues in 2009 with their units, the Main MOSFET driver board for the compressor and outdoor fan was prone to failure based on an overheat condition.. after many hours talking to chigo engineers they eventually redesigned the units so the heat sync and driver board are located in an area with plenty of Air circulation... they also added software to shut the unit down if the outdoor fan became rotor locked.. (Ice-jams in winter on a front fan unit are common)...

Grunaire sent me 3 brand new units to replace all of mine.. I had already made modifications repairing the boards and relocating the drivers by then so I still have 3 brand new ones in my basement...

My project is still alive although i havent worked on it much those prototype boards I made work fine.. I used zbasic.net controllers... I will have to dig up the schematics I wrote to make the boards..

controlling them with IR will require a GC-100 or other device that can send very LONG commands and remember LOTS of commands... as mentioned previously IR codes for A/C units send ALL their parameters at ANY BUTTON press of the remote.. so if you raise the temp by one degree it also sends mode, swing, fan speed,actual temp, etc.. so you can see it is necessary to store lots of codes.. or have software that can build IR codes on the fly...

for example.. there is a separate code for 68 degrees cool, no swing, low fan, then there is for 68 degrees, Heat,no swing, low fan, etc.. you need the full range of commands for every mode, every temp, etc... the remotes are NOT 2 way but since they send all parameters at any button press they are always in sync with the unit...

Units like daikin, mitsubishi and fujitsu all offer a PC control interface for BIG $$$$$, mainly designed at the commercial multi-unit housing / office installation of the units...

I have installed a Mitsi city-multi system and it is an incredible system to say the least.. but for the price tag you could really install about anything else you want!!

in terms of quality mitsubishi, daikin, and fujitsu are the best.. albeit for a somewhat higher price... perhaps more economical in the long run than cheap chinese units prone to failure...

I really wish there was a website that I could share some of what I have done .. im not good at remembering to email people, files, schematics, etc but im all open to this project again...

-Christopher

Comment

Working...
                                X